M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately the 9er was hesitating at around 2500-3000RPM and I was trying to figure out what was wrong with it. It would run even worse when I would hit big bumps or turn. So i popped the tank off and removed the fuel pump to find not only the strainer to be jet black but it broke off! For the past week I was riding around with my fuel strainer and strainer cover to be swimming around the gas tank.

I went nuts trying to figure out the problem, i made sure the power commander was connected right, I checked if the block off plates were still sitting tight, and I even made sure the air box was sitting flush. This is my second fuel strainer in 16,000 miles...is that normal? The strainer not even doing its job cant be good for the 9er..any suggestions on what I can do to make sure there isnt any damage to the fuel system for running dirty gas?

any helpful comments would be appreciated

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think I would start buying my gas from a different station, I will not buy gas from a station if they are getting gas from a truck at the same time.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Well, I just changed mine for the first time at just a shade under 17K miles.
It is odd that the fuel strainer was "broken off" as you state. Did you get the clip back on properly when you put on the first replacement? It sounds as though you might have broken it when you put it on the first time. I did notice that it's quite delicate when I changed mine.

That being said, I'd definitely be careful where I was getting gas. It could be that the gas where you live just happens to be dirty. It's been known to happen. (not all gas is created equally)

As for checking it out for damage, I'd think that about the only thing that you could do would be to run some injector cleaner through it. Replacing/disassembling the fuel pump seems like overkill to me.

Does your bike still have the hesitation? If not, then you're probably golden.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been thinking that the alcohol in the fuel might be breaking down that black rubber boot that surrounds the strainer. I noticed that my fingers were black after handling the boot. That would account for the color.

Smitty

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I must have broken it off the first time. I remember it being really hard trying to put the fuel pump back it. Or maybe it was loose and broke off later because the strainer was black.

It was raining when I was at the shop working on it so I really couldn't test ride it, I finished up an poured some fresh gas in with my funnel and started it up. It idled a whole lot better

Well, I just changed mine for the first time at just a shade under 17K miles.
It is odd that the fuel strainer was "broken off" as you state. Did you get the clip back on properly when you put on the first replacement? It sounds as though you might have broken it when you put it on the first time. I did notice that it's quite delicate when I changed mine.

That being said, I'd definitely be careful where I was getting gas. It could be that the gas where you live just happens to be dirty. It's been known to happen. (not all gas is created equally)

As for checking it out for damage, I'd think that about the only thing that you could do would be to run some injector cleaner through it. Replacing/disassembling the fuel pump seems like overkill to me.

Does your bike still have the hesitation? If not, then you're probably golden.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,942 Posts
The reason it would run worse when you hit bumps or turns is because it was sucking air, most likely. That black rubber boot is what is known as a "slosh box", and it's purpose is to keep fuel around the strainer. Without it fuel can run away from the strainer in turns or when you hit the brakes. Cars and trucks usually have a pit that the pump and strainer sit in, but out bikes don't.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Yeah, what Zoom said.
Sorry, not so eloquent tonight...just got beat to death with bugs for the last 400 miles. I love riding back roads through the country at dusk....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took it out or a ride last night, not more than 15 miles. It's still doing the same thing. I have no idea what would be the problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts