M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious about how well the front brakes work. At 700 lbs, the M109R is pretty heavy, but I see it has radially mounted front calipers like the super-sports. Jut wondering how well they work at slowing this beast down?

G

·
coming from a 1600 04 marauder(great brakes).,,,,,the M109r rear brake is abit weak,,front fine...overall ,,decent but rear could be better.... :D

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
OMEGA said:
Damn good stock, even better with steel lines and a high quality pad.
Seems to stop great for me. Steel lines? Did you replace the rubber brake hoses?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
:bigthumbsup:I'm going to get ya!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Damn good stock, even better with steel lines and a high quality pad.
:agree:100%

I didn't have any complaints with them at all stock, but wanted to go with the braided lines on everything. They are much better with the new lines even with the stock pads, IMO. I do agree that the rear brakes are not the greatest I have ever riden, but they are OK.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I never slow down. Don't know? :bigthumbsup:

When I was growing up riding everything I could get my hands on, you didn't use the front brake much. If you did, you did very carefully. I quick ride over the handlebars or down in gravel would sometimes occur if you didn't. :eek:

Today's bikes are designed much different. The 109's stopping power is the front brakes. They work very well. I'm slowly learning to use them more.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
In my opinion the brakes are really soft and spongey feeling, but again I could be saying that because the bike does way more then 700lbs... But compared to a V-Rod Muscle I rode they could be a lot more crisper. My recommendation is to not rely on the front brakes entirely for slowing this beast down, use 80% front and 20% back under heavy braking to ensure the beast slows down.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
In my opinion the brakes are really soft and spongey feeling, but again I could be saying that because the bike does way more then 700lbs... But compared to a V-Rod Muscle I rode they could be a lot more crisper. My recommendation is to not rely on the front brakes entirely for slowing this beast down, use 80% front and 20% back under heavy braking to ensure the beast slows down.
I know it's an old thread, so no one got me.

If your brakes are soft and spongy, sounds like you need to bleed them.

The front brakes on this bike are phenomenal. They have more stopping power than the front tire can handle. I actually hardly use the back brake at all, unless I'm in a panic stop situation, and know that I could end up skidding the front tire (which has happened before).

If I were you, I'd have it checked. I've ridden an older VRod, Alumarod, and thought that the only way I could get that bike to stop was to toss an anchor.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
:clap2::clap2::cus::cus::cus::cus:
DAMN-IT BIG69....
Ya got me!:bigthumbsup:
I was wondering why you typed in " :bigthumbsup: I'm going to get ya! "!!!!
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
It was funny but I thought It would still make a good subject to post on it's still got a leg.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I know it's an old thread, so no one got me.

If your brakes are soft and spongy, sounds like you need to bleed them.

The front brakes on this bike are phenomenal. They have more stopping power than the front tire can handle. I actually hardly use the back brake at all, unless I'm in a panic stop situation, and know that I could end up skidding the front tire (which has happened before).
:agree:....when I first read this >new< thread....I thought WTF....cos I have locked the front 3-4 times :eek:

The front brake has got MORE than enough power IMHO :bigthumbsup:

Try it....get it upto 30-40mph and grab a handfull....remember to keep the front wheel straight :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
877 Posts
no complaints here,stoppies all day long...........................................................SIKE:joke:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts