M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK.....so I have been putting some miles on, getting used to the bike, at least I thought so.

My b/f and I went riding all day yesterday, he on his bike, me on mine. We use our helmet communicators to talk to one another.

So we had been riding in the morning and were at a rest stop. He says OK how comfortable are you do you think? Proudly I say, I am a LOT more comfortable now and I think I'm doing good at understanding her. He says OK mind if I ride close and watch and make any comments I see. Sure I said...puffing my chest out proudly knowing I am going to get my first report card. The confident me thinks, I am about to pass my basic 109 course. So we finish our coffee and get ready to roll out.

So we are tooling along and I hear in my helmet, your posture is a little tight on your right side. "What" I am asking. He says "Your right leg is hanging out in the wind compared to your left, does you right leg hurt? I thought about that a second and thought you know what my right leg has been sore after riding, I just figured I was tense. I said "Yes it has been". He says "You are holding your right toe over your brake pedal in the air, that has to be tiring. It dawned on me....I was. So he says try moving your foot up so that it rest beside your rear brake and so all you need to do is reach over with your toe and "toe" the brake.

So I process what he is saying and I move my foot over to the right and rest it to the outside.....hmmmmmm....that does feel better. OK he says now I want to see you slide your toe over and brake with it....practice. I do this.....hmmmmm....I had been missing this. OK so he says I am going to purposely put us in traffic now. You will be working on the a lot for the next hour now.

I tell him it doesn't feel right to have my foot hanging out like this and I can't get my boot under the pedal to rest it. OK he says we will adjust your pedal, but don't hang your foot up on your ankle holding it over the pedal, you will exhaust yourself to soon. OK I understand.

So we continue in traffic practicing. About 3 miles later I hear him in my helmet go, you need to quit shifting this like its an 18 wheeler. "Huh" I respond. He repeats, you are shifting this thing like a truck, you need to shift it with less throttle off, less slowness, less deliberation. I tell him, "This is the only way I can shift her that works smoothly. He is like you are power on.....power off...shift....power on.....etc. "I'm lost" I tell him, "I don't understand what you are telling me. This is the only way this bike shifts"

He says look lets pull over up here in the parking lot coming up, I want to see for myself. So we do. (Thinking to myself, its about time he starts to appreciate my skills).

He says OK, Let me throw a leg over this thing and you ride bitch and we can discuss it while I am there with him together. I'll see how this thing shifts.

So he gets on and I happily take my place behind him. We can still carry on conversations thru the helmets.

He says OK....Lets see what this big girl says to me. I quietly whisper to Gwendolyn "Do me proud Gweenie", don't let him be mean to us.

So we pull out onto the road and the first thing I notice is "My gosh the bike feels like it has an automatic transmission". I couldn't even feel the gears as they go up from 1 to 2 to 3 etc. No jerkiness, no clunking, none of it. I can look over the shoulder and see the tach, the speed and everything and its like all one big gear almost. I hear in my helmet, "Do you see the difference"... YES I respond. "This isn't a truck he says". He says let me show you what you are doing wrong. He says "This is you".....and suddenly my bike was acting like.....my bike. He explained, I am thinking about it way too much. He explains...You are throttle on to the shift point, and then you go all throttle off, then clutch in, shift, then clutch out, then throttle on. He says watch my feet and hands, don't look at anything else right now. And he goes thru the gears about 5 times up and down over the next few miles showing me how I shift. OK you see all that he says...Yes...OK now watch them again and see if you can pick up on the difference as he goes into "Automatic transmission mode".

So I ask OK what am I doing wrong. He says you need to work on rolling off throttle as you bring in clutch as you shift thru, all in one, not 3 separate events. You can do this, you shifted the Magna just fine but you have to learn what the bike likes....and you are not there yet. Let her tell you what she likes....OK watch this he says.

He says watch my left hand now. I do...He started out and shifted from 1-2 like normal and then he starts shifting WITH NO CLUTCH from 3 thru 5....and I'm like "HTH are you doing that"! He says the transmission is just fine this bike has no issues, but you need to learn where she is happiest. He is snicking thru gears....using no clutch, just by "gently" rolling off throttle a little.

I started to understand his "truckdriver" comment.

He says "You get the idea". Yes I answer. OK now then let's see what this girl can do. He goes to a kinda windy road and I hear him says "No talking....just feel now."

I can feel him shift and plant himself in the seat, I know what that means from riding on the back of his Hayabusa. I set myself behind him and he starts approaching the first part of the twisties, "In automatic transmission", Gwendolyn is already going faster than I am comfortable with and where I would be braking he is simply rolling off throttle a little, shifting down one and has the bike in a lean before we even get into the curve. Out of the curve, now he giving her throttle and she is starting to really pick it up on speed now, and snicks thru the gears.

I am watching, feet hands, tachometer, hands, feet, etc. trying to take it all in as I also look at the curve ahead and think OMG we are gonna crash now.

Nope, he backs off throttle, somehow knows what gear to always be in and slides thru the curve, with one hand on the throttle, adjusting his helmet with the other free hand. I would be white knuckled holding onto the grips for dear life if I were driving right then.

So we do about 3 miles of this.....never saying a word during this. We get to the turn off to the main road and he says, "Let me see how she does now, as we start off. He is full throttle now and my Gwendolyn is gathering up her self and giving it her all, I see us going by cars like they are going backwards as we pass them. (I know what they feel like I think to myself). And then the bike cuts out for a second....like she died!.. OMG I yelled into the helmet, you killed my bike I said. No I didn't that was the rev limiter he says.......the what...I ask....the rev limiter. What is that? It is built into the bike so you can't overrun the engine. My god it just cuts off I said. No it just cuts off at that RPM so that you can't exceed it, he responds. I wasn't expecting it because it is pretty low on this bike. You don't need to find the rev limiter very often OK.....trust me you are not doing any harm to the bike but you also are not doing it any better by shifting there.

I'm like look I have never been over 5,000 on this bike, so all of this is new to me. Yes I understand he says......I just wanted to see how this bike was, you don't need to worrying about this for awhile I just wanted to see how she handled with both of us on her at the same time. WE whizzed by a couple of Harleys...I could hear them try to catch up after we pass them.

We get up to a light and one of those Harleys comes up as he caught us at the light. My b/f says to me" Get ready to get sniffed by a Harley". I chuckled a little. The Harley rolls up next to us and I can see the driver looking Gwendolyn all over, as the light goes green, the Harley starts to roll past us a little......my b/f picks it up enough to not let that happen. Harley tries a little harder....we go a little more....I hear my b/f say" First we tease them"....I start to laugh a little. Harley tries to gain...b/f stays ahead......we make it to the next light. Harley is now really looking it over. My b/f lets him stay just ahead of us.....as the light is red. It turns green....and Harley leaves first.......we pass him a little....not a lot.....then you can hear Harley take longer between shifts, higher RPM, we stay ahead of him.......doing the same....never letting Harley do anything but stay right behind....I Hear" Let him sniff a little longer just one more light length" he says. I respond back, "Don't you hurt my Gwennie!!!!"

We get to the next light. Harley lines up beside us, looking over at us, all up and down.....my b/f looks over at him and nods "Yes" in one up and down. He says to me..."Get ready". I know what that means.

The light turns green and Harley pulls away strong, we are right there, then we pull away from him and make second gear and the distance widens between us. I can hear Harley doing what it can to catch up......It ain't gonna happen I think to myself. I tell my b/f..."GO GO GO", he responds, "Piece of cake" as we are now pretty far ahead and the next light is coming up. Now Harley you can tell isn't so relaxed as he pulls up. He is all straight up in his seat now.....REALLY looking us over.

Light goes green and off we go again....this time even a bigger gap between us as get to the next light. This time my b/f flips up his visor and waits for Harley guy to pull up. Harley guy says, what have you done to her?....Nothing we say. (I'm just listening). Harley guy......I put these pipes on mine to give it more power. I am 120 with these pipes. Are those stock pipes he ask. Yes this is all stock. Harley guys says how much horsepower does that bike have......My b/f says...."Apparently enough" as the light turns green, then says "Oh by the way this is her bike, we are going easy today teaching her about it........look for her to be on it by herself next time you see it at a light".

I watched Harley his face turn red as we gently pulled away from the light....Harley guy trailing behind us now.

I turned around to look at him over my shoulder.

*hmph* I said......loud enough for my b/f to say "What did you say?". Nothing I said....it was me and Gwendolyn talking.

So we pull back into the parking lot and I ask him..."OK so what is the first thing I need to know to be better". He responds....."Work on the basics, you have to make up for the bikes slowness by making sure you keep her in her sweet spot". "Slowness I ask"....bewildered. He says "Yes your bike is OK against the Harleys and the rest of the other Vees and can beat them every time, as long as you don't shift her like an 18 wheeler and give them time to catch you. She can't catch up what she losses very quickly, she isn't quick, but she is fast if you let her be and know how to find it."

I notice Gwendolyn is making all sorts of popping sounds and ting ting ting noises. "Did you hurt her I asked"? No he says "She just had to work a little today. That is the metal cooling off in the cold air. She is just fine".

As I began to get back on.....I saw Gwendolyn look up at me......and smile....puffing out her chest proudly.

*Sigh*........maybe I can go to truck driving school if I can't figure out how to ride her.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Excellent read! :bigthumbsup:

Smitty

·
Registered
450 Posts
Shifting

When you intentionally try to be careful, it only gets worse. Smooth is better than careful. This bike just has more torque to make it noticeable.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
When riding with a group it seems we all shift like truckers. But when out and free this 109 can sing through the gears with ease if ya let it.
Mine seemed to get smoother after around 3k...maybe I just learned the "sweet spot"

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Blondie you and Squarerounder must have went the same "school" of writing. Both of you write excellent, entertaining stories that put the reader in your mind and on the bike with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
When riding with a group it seems we all shift like truckers. But when out and free this 109 can sing through the gears with ease if ya let it.
Mine seemed to get smoother after around 3k...maybe I just learned the "sweet spot"
:agree::bigthumbsup: Keep at it

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blondie you and Squarerounder must have went the same "school" of writing. Both of you write excellent, entertaining stories that put the reader in your mind and on the bike with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gosh TY very much. I am glad I can offer something to the board for what I get back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
awesome!!!!!

You'll get it, just take yer time! Just get out of town and ride long country back roads. When you get to feeling comfortable to where you aren't thinking about anything or anyone, that's the time to concentrate on new things. It will come to you. Awesome read!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
This was an awesome read!! I went through the same things with mine seeing as though its my first bike but once in that sweet spot i was wanting to take it to the limit! Hit 120mph once, passed my buddy on his rocket (who didnt catch up) and then got pulled over :-[ Was REALLY lucky to get away without a ticket or should i say getting arrested. BTW it was in a 55mph zone. Just be careful with her in that spot because the urge will come.

Ride safe and i hope to hear more great stories!!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You write pretty good, for a truck driver

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Good story.

The most interesting part was that your b/f quizzed you on the "hmph". You seem to use it so freely everywhere but with him.

I wonder, does he get the squinty eye? Or do you save that just for the forums?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Great post! :bigthumbsup:

Funny thing about the "driving it like a 18 wheeler" comment. You we're explaining how your b/f was shifting without a clutch. As a former truck driver I can tell you the "real" truck drivers only use the clutch to get rolling. All 12 gears after 1st are done with no clutch. You simply "know" where the rpm needs to be to make the shift. If you drive it and shift in such a way that you would not necessarily need to use the clutch, but do, the shifts will be perfect.
So I say, drive it like an 18 wheeler! (just a really FAST one) You can drive aggressively and still hit the sweet spot too. Good luck, sounds like your b/f has some great advise.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Nice read Blondie, did you notice what kind of Harley? I would like to know how he jumped to 120 horses just adding pipes....mabey I'm way off but still trying to figure that one out. Wonder what he tells his GF in bed, he must have failed math class :joke: Keep enjoying Gwen..:bigthumbsup:

CP

·
Registered
960 Posts
Nice! Your boyfriend sounds like a good guy. I am sorry that he is not as good lookin' as me but he sounds like a good one!:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice read Blondie, did you notice what kind of Harley? I would like to know how he jumped to 120 horses just adding pipes....mabey I'm way off but still trying to figure that one out. Wonder what he tells his GF in bed, he must have failed math class :joke: Keep enjoying Gwen..:bigthumbsup:

CP
I only know 2 kinds of Harleys. The V-Rod which is the only one I think looks good, and the rest of them which to me all look the same.

This was not a V-Rod.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts