M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back the other day from a nice ride to NC and back. Little over 1600 miles round trip. Got on hwy 64 & rode about an hour through St. Louis & turned south onto two lane roads. Hit 24 north of Paduca & was on 4 lane for another 40 minutes or so. Turned south again & went through the land between the lakes & up to Pennyrile State Park for the night. Then back on two lane roads all the way to the Smokies. Over 600 miles and 1 & 1/2 hours of it on interstate highways. Stayed a few days between Pidgon Forge & Gatlinburg.

Did the Devil's Triangle north of Knoxville on the way down. Then I hit the Little River Rd., the Foothills Pkwy., The Dragon, Moonshiners Run, Cherohala Skyway, 441 through the park & I don't know what all else. I was gone 12 hours one day just riding around. The scenery was pretty, but I spent a lot of time thinking "I could make better time driving through a parking lot." Man! Speed limits were all 30 to 40 mph. Good thing too. Narrow little strips of pavement with trees or solid rock right on the edge of the pavement on one side, steep drops & heavy forest on the other side.

If the car in front of you is over 3 car-lengths ahead of you, you lose sight of him around some of the curves because the mountian gets between you & him. There is no telling or seeing what the curve is going to do until you get way into it. Might tighten up, might straighten out. If the car in front has to stop, you won't know it until you are in his back seat. Sometimes the curves are marked with speed signs, sometimes not. I saw one that made a complete circle. :eek: I slowed way down for that one. At night, where the center stripe is worn away, you don't know where you're going.

At the Dragon, I met 3 cops & passed another sitting in the trees in the first two miles. Word at the gap was that there was another in the trees that I didn't see. And there was another one at the gap, too. :cop: They must have a heck of a patrol budget. Needless to say, I stayed pretty close to the speed limit. I don't know why the Dragon gets all the press. It isn't the hardest ride or the prettiest road I was on. It was the busiest and most patrolled though.

There was a crash on the Skyway. A lady went into one of those guard rails that they build about a foot off the pavement edge. She was still down with three people trying to keep her from moving while other bikes went down the road pulling into every overlook trying to get cell service to call 911. One finally came back & said help was coming. No telling how long it took for them to get there. There was a fair size crowd by then so I went on. She didn't look too good. I hope she was or will be ok.

Coming home I came up 66 to 40 & stayed on interstates all the way. Rode 10 hours just stopping for gas & something to drink and pulled into my driveway a little after 7:00 thirsty, hungry and ready to sit in the air conditioned quiet for a while.

Great bike, great ride.8)

GW

·
Registered
285 Posts
Great story, thank you so much for writing it. Glad you are safe and had a blast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts