M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a perplexing riddle with no answer. :(

My oil level is full and never been overfilled.  :read:

I experienced a little smoke comming out of the left air cleaner. This is more visible when you are not running stock air cleaners.  :eek:

Has anyone experienced this with a poor engine idle along with it? :dontknow:

Chuck

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Sound like smoke comiing out of the CCV system , meaning you have blowby ................ either you got some weak ring/damaged rings or ring lands on pistons , something allowing it to build up too much crankcase pressure ................... hmm let me think some more LOL ................ might want to check that both CCV tubes are unobstructed, if one was plugged it would most likely try to vent all the pressure through one side :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
No this smoke comes from the one over the transmission and pipes up to,and directly across from the left hand filter tube. right ?
Alright Perry, what your idea on this ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
We did a compression test on Saturday, and the rear cylinder was 30lbs less than the front. Added a teaspoon of oil and the number went up. I'm guessing a broken ring. The smoke we found is coming from the crank case vent tube that goes to the air box, and theres compression in that tube too I hope this isnt going to be a problem with these bikes. :edit: :edit: :edit:. :redfaced:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
On my blower bikes you will get the same thing if you have been detonating. What happens on the Valkyrie is the ring lands crack and then you get blowby. ::)

·
Registered
775 Posts
only time mine ran a little rough was on my way to florida. had to stop for gas at a little "mom and pop" gas station. few miles after the ride became a little rough. almost like very slightly out of tune or time. i hit the next big exit with a truck stop, syphened most of the gas out; refilled with supreme, bike screamed like a raped date. think i just had a little bad gas. been screaming ever since.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Definitely sounds like a broken ring / blowby to me. Holy Crap I have the same exact mods as Chuck.... eeeeeeeck!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with you JR, I hope that Suzuki has a redesigned piston or different rings, not just put the same parts back in. Does anyone on this board have any connections with Suzuki, Id like to know if they have seen this before. Doesnt Hal own a dealership, Maybe he could find some info on this?????

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
J R said:
I am wondering if advancing the timing combined with crappy fuel that ya never know whats coming outta the pump eve tho it says 93 is poping the ringlands ??? I scraping the nitrous idea for now and pulling the JSD mod till i see inside these broken motors :confused:
Here's my concerns. It's my understanding that the JSD advances the timming through all the gears. On some bikes that is not a problem as long as you burn good fuel. We sold a trigger wheel for the Valkyrie and 1500 Goldwing that would advance the timming either 4 degrees or 6 degress. This will give the bike about 2 to 4 hp and on most bikes it will give you a little better gas mileage. The down side is you have to run 91+ or you will detonate. The reason we sold a 4 degree is because some bikes would detonate with a 6 degree no matter what fuel they ran. the 4 degree wheel seemed to fix that.

Our bike should be running 91+ to start with and I'm thinking that maybe it's a bad idea to advance the timming any on our bikes. ::) I like the idea of taking the speed limiter out of 5th but not so sure the adavnce is a good idea anymore. ::) I think that maybe our bikes are on the edge to start with and like some of the Valkyries and Goldwings too much advance will cause them to detonate and break the ring lands.

Like JR I think I'm going to pull my JSD out and forget about the nitrous till I get new pistons.

Cracked or Broken Ring Lands
Cracked or broken ring lands prevent the rings from seating completely on their sides and cause oil pumping by a process similar to that described above in "Tapered and Out-of-Round Cylinders". In addition to this, they also lead to serious damage of the cylinders as well as complete destruction of the pistons and rings. Cracked or broken ring lands cannot be corrected by any means other than piston replacement and this should be done as soon as there is the slightest indication of a crack.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I just ordered a JSD,but I'm gonna wait until the verdict is in on this one before putting it in. :dontknow:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
J R said:
I think your right Lamont We need to see whats up with these engines before advancing the timing or nitrous or anything like that.Im like I say gonna pull the JSD for now and scrape the whole nitrous thing and wait and see,If these bikes are piston faliure prone with just advancing the timing.They will explode with nitrous or boost. I not gonna mess with it now but custom pistons will be needed in the future for this bike if ya really wanna play.IMO I am gonna go out on a limb and say there prolly burning on the edge of the pistons right where the valve reliefs are.I hate valve reliefs on the outte edge of any pistons and as you can see in Hals pic,s there are tons of sharp edges in the combustion chamber and piston on these motors.I hope Hals, boys really spend some time polishing the whole combustion chamber and piston and as for me im going up to the 10,s on the plugs to help cool off the combustion temps.Worst case senero I foul a plug evry once and a while but thats better then a piston if thas whats happening here ...JR
Let me know how the new plugs work out Bro. I may try a 9 while you try the 10. :doorag:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
chucks son said:
I'm gonna contact JE and Wiseco today and see if they have anything on this yet
If you're going to fix/replace the pistons you might as well put some good ones in there. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks like I'm on a 2 week delay before the dealer will be able to take my bike. Short handed while mechanic(S) are on vacation(s). :(

Hope the warranty pays for everything!

It sucks not being able to ride the beast!!

By the way, I believe my problem happened while riding on the highway during a big rain at night????

1 - 20 of 26 Posts