M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 07 two weeks ago. When I ride a short distance and turn off the bike and then go to restart a few minutes later, the engine cranks slow like the battery is low. I have tested the battery and it is 100%.
If I keep holding the starter button it will crank after a couple of revolutions but then the engine idles high for a few seconds.
Any idea what this could be? Starter maybe?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Sounds like you need a battery.

It does not sound like you are holding a full charge.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
slow crank

Mine did the same thing once while under warranty I dont claim to be a mechanic but they adjusted the valves and has never donr it again

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
If your battery has been load tested and it is with in specs then more then likely you are learning the characteristics of this bike. This is a comon thing. The bike can be tough cranking when warm/hot. Like when you stop for gas/smoke/drink and then get back on with in 10 minutes. Those big pistons can be tough to move.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your battery has been load tested and it is with in specs then more then likely you are learning the characteristics of this bike. This is a comon thing. The bike can be tough cranking when warm/hot. Like when you stop for gas/smoke/drink and then get back on with in 10 minutes. Those big pistons can be tough to move.
I bought an 06 new and don't remember that ever happening. Just afraid its gonna strand me somewhere. I am going to check all of the grounds today and then see if I can get it to act up with an amp gauge on it to check starter draw.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This happens to me once in a while. Even after a new battery. But it always starts eventually… then idles real high like you say.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sounds like the starter is hot . I like to leave my key on for the fan to run if I am only going to be a second . I never leave it running when I am not on it .

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. The battery has lost some of it CCA ability, even with a full charge. I pulled the battery and found it was some off brand battery...

So I replaced it last week with a new Odyssey PC535. Spins the motor and fires within about a half a rotation.

Note: My clock was getting reset when it would stumble trying to crank the engine. Too much power being drained from the battery to spin the motor, fire the plugs, and run the electronics all at once..

As for the starter being hot. Mine would usually start easier when it was hot and stumble with it was cold or lukewarm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Mine was doing the same thing. The battery has lost some of it CCA ability, even with a full charge. I pulled the battery and found it was some off brand battery...

So I replaced it last week with a new Odyssey PC535. Spins the motor and fires within about a half a rotation.

Note: My clock was getting reset when it would stumble trying to crank the engine. Too much power being drained from the battery to spin the motor, fire the plugs, and run the electronics all at once..

As for the starter being hot. Mine would usually start easier when it was hot and stumble with it was cold or lukewarm.
That is the same battery I have! Where did you get the Odyssey? And did it fit without modifying?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
That is the same battery I have! Where did you get the Odyssey? And did it fit without modifying?
Got mine from Gman Industries. It came modified to fit the M109R but it was too snug once I installed it and almost could not get it out. So I trimmed the side fins just enough to make it snug but still removable without using a claw puller.. :D

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I had the same battery mine is an 07 . But I bought a nano gel battery from my stealer at a great price . 2yr warranty No troubles yet !

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had once in the beginning problem with the ground wire, but my bike did not want to strat up at all.
Now it is starting perfectly.

I bought an 06 new and don't remember that ever happening. Just afraid its gonna strand me somewhere. I am going to check all of the grounds today and then see if I can get it to act up with an amp gauge on it to check starter draw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts