M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i had 18k on bike... recently Pulled Clutch and replaced the 10, 9, 5, 3, 2, 6 plates/washers and did Bluey Fix (shave three sides with a dremel so do think I shaved off that Much) bike is shifting like a a champ and 35-4k vibration is gone..

but now It seems like its slipping a little.. when i "punch it" (rev quickly while moving) it revs up higher and seems to slip then grab...
any Ideas? is there now too much oil going to Clutch plates..

Any ideas anyone..

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Since i had 18k on bike... recently Pulled Clutch and replaced the 10, 9, 5, 3, 2, 6 plates/washers and did Bluey Fix (shave three sides with a dremel so do think I shaved off that Much) bike is shifting like a a champ and 35-4k vibration is gone..

but now It seems like its slipping a little.. when i "punch it" (rev quickly while moving) it revs up higher and seems to slip then grab...
any Ideas? is there now too much oil going to Clutch plates..

Any ideas anyone..
It's in the adjustment. Did you remove the nut off the center push pin when you took it apart or just slide the pin out and replace unadjusted? I made the mistake of doing the first and it threw off my adjustment big time!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
It's in the adjustment. Did you remove the nut off the center push pin when you took it apart or just slide the pin out and replace unadjusted? I made the mistake of doing the first and it threw off my adjustment big time!
This was my problem. Just tighten that adjustment screw antil you feel resistance and then back it off a turn. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was my problem. Just tighten that adjustment screw antil you feel resistance and then back it off a turn. Hope this helps.
Actaually I did just that.. thanks to a member on the Forum (thanks PapaLobo) who was readily available for a Q&A.. he told me same thing.. I loosened nut.. screwed in till I got resistance (bottomed out) unscrewed one whole turn and then Tightened nut.. .

any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
It's possible your #6 plate should have been a #7 or #8 instead. These are all the same parts, just different widths. You need to choose the right width based on the overall stack.
This could be the problem, but as the others here have said, my guess is something isn't adjusted right.
Don't use it if it's slipping, or you could burn em out, and have to start all over again.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My clutch was slipping and grabbing in first gear. I seem to have fixed it by adjusting the clutch cable at the left side at engine and at the clutch lever in accordance with the instructions in the service manual. So far, all is good. No more anticipating it's going to slip and grab sending the bike lurching forward. What an improvement!

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
My clutch was slipping and grabbing in first gear. I seem to have fixed it by adjusting the clutch cable at the left side at engine and at the clutch lever in accordance with the instructions in the service manual. So far, all is good. No more anticipating it's going to slip and grab sending the bike lurching forward. What an improvement!
The test for proper cable adjustment is to lightly grab the lever under wide open throttle. There needs to be just a slight bit of freeplay in it. The cable gets tighter when under acceleration.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi guys, I've been seeing the same clutch slip issue after doing the 3 point pin mod and replacing #6 #12 #13 (Plate, wave washer, washer) due to having the "shudder" problem for years.

So first I noticed that the shudder was gone. second I noticed it is getting harder to shift down especially when the bike is cold. after about a week I noticed under hard acceleration that the clutch was slipping sometimes. Also sometimes when I start the bike and its warming up when I shift into gear while holding the clutch in, that 1st gear will grab a little trying to pull the bike forward, though not too much to hold back with my legs. sure makes backing up more difficult though.

I was starting to think that maybe there is too much oil getting to the clutch causing the slipping, but not sure about the other symptoms I've noticed. I made sure my clutch cable is not too tight. Never had a problem with the stock cable and now I have adjusted it as slack as can be near the handle just to make sure it wasn't causing my slip issue.

Could someone please explain in more detail about the adjustments made to the pin nut? I simply pulled mine out lightly ground .3mm on 3 sides and re-installed with no other changes. Also just directly replaced the #6 plate and wave washer and washer carefully putting back into the same location and direction they were removed. I don't have a service manual to reference so please advise.

Thanks guys,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.