M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed after the ride this weekend that the bike is slinging gear oil onto the rear wheel. Not much... just enough to gather some dust on it. It's been 20 years since I owned a shaft drive (85 Shadow) and not sure if this is to be expected. Opinions, facts and other comments would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have over 3000 miles on mine since April and have not had an oil leak what's so ever... Deffinitly start looking around for an exit point. Just a shot in the dark but maybe your inner seal might be leaking. I have not takin the bike apart so no sure if it even has an inner seal. Hope all is well with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had some of that after I have ridden harder, pretty sure its not final gear oil, I think its just excess grease from over at the axle disc side. I am not sure if this is a problem or just because its new and will dissipate. I had seen a post somewhere on here of someone asking a dealer about it and they said something like its just excess and nothing to worry about. If thats true or not don't know.

Blur
MN

G

·
Mine did this and the stealer had changed the diff oil ..left the bottm plug just a tad loose...Very upset to say the least..just check the plug or plugs and see if theres any traces of diff oil...around them...if so,,be careful  if you need to tighten,,not to strip any out..overtightening them..aluminum crush washers should be replaced when taken off...at least that what Ive been told.. :D   

·
Registered
101 Posts
Actually that VERY thing happened to me only much worse, imagine streaks like that covering the wheel. What my stealer says could have been was a "seal and bearing" after those were replaced it is in the shop as we speak getting the Shield replaced, i'll post more when i pick it up today. They say its final drive oil NOT grease.

But thats a dealer tho.

Nick

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
if you just changed you gear oil and get some on the hole threads it will sling onto your wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same problem here bro. I posted in this thread here:
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1647.0

Mine was MUCH worse, it's really slinging grease so I know exactly what you mean. Stealer told me it was the "crush washer" and tightened it a bit. I wiped it down last night and have not yet ridden it. I will be keeping a close eye on it the next 250 miles (to get to my 600 mile service).

·
Registered
189 Posts
After some high speed riding yesterday(210km about 30km) I noticed today I had grease on the rim.IT looks like it might be getting extra hot?

·
Registered
119 Posts
After viewing this post, I'm taking mine in. Just having to clean it is annoying enough.
Will try to post back w my deeelers findings. :(

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I cleaned up the rim earlier this week and didn't notice any more oil on the rim. We just got back from another ride in the mountains and there is definitely gear oil leaking from the space between the rim and the shaft assembly cover (blurple arrow). This is an old picture. I'm too damned tired and lazy to go take another one :confused: . The only things I can remember that the two trips had in common were that we were above 10,000 ft. both times, I hit a good-sized pothole during both trips and we rode for long stretches at a time. Think if the wheel was jarred hard enough that a little gear oil would get past whatever seals that space up? I'll probably end up taking it in and let someone check it out, but I'd still like to see what everyone thinks is causing this :) .

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Folks:

This is purely speculation on my part but worth mentioning. On my VTX I had to apply Moly Grease to the hub and wheel splines, whenever the wheel was removed, to prevent corrosion from forming and "rust welding" the male and female spline pieces together. Could it be possible that Suzuki has applied grease for the same purpose and some is spinning off like a centrifuge when you have the bike up to higher speeds and the grease is collecting on the wide rim cavity???? Never noticed this on my X, but the stock wheel was only 5 to 5.5 inches wide and not like a waste basket. The 109 rim is 8.5 inches wide and protrudes past the hub/wheel line.
The normal gear oil for the rear is approximately 75/90W and with that in mind I do believe if the seal were leaking the oil would ooze all the time. Moly paste type grease however remains very thick and would not ooze and could only be "cast off" under high wheel revs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts