M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Hal .... Lamont...... you were right, you told us so.....

So I can now be considered the 3rd so far that has a problem with their slashdowns..... With the same problem......

Can you give us test dummies some info on what Cobra plans to do? I hope they just plan on sending out the right heat shield cover....

I love Cobra's response to why the slashdowns are so long. What the F !!!! :eek: are they serious? there is a 2-3 inch difference in the picture compared to the real pipes !!

I am extremely satisfied with Directline and horrified with Cobra....

I need a beer...

G

·
They are making new heat shields (based on a phone call I had this afternoon).

I had posted earlier that if anyone wants a refund to just call us and get a return tag and we will refund your money.

All I can add is that stuff happens.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You guys have been awesome Hal...

I called today and asked about getting a tracking # ( I didn't supply my email address) and the salesguy gave me the number, looked up the shipment and told me that it had been delivered already !! It was on my porch and I didn't even know ! Now that's what I call fast !

I will keep my order, I just want the new heat shields. tell me what I need to do or who I need to call so I can finish this project.

-Chad

·
Registered
849 Posts
keep me updated also Hal. Will they be similar to the original pics we ordered off from then when they relace the parts, in other words, a mid length Slash down? The original pic looked good, and the two into one into two performance port seemed to offer some sense Cobra was interested in performance. I'm a little under the weather now so I'm following the issue as best I can, but my original intent was to get a decent looking, sounding pipe. In the meantime, mine remain in the box until I get an idea what's going to happen.
jer

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I was really hoping that I was the only one that had this problem. ::) If we can test these pipes on the bike, why can't Cobra? If they had they would have moved two of the hose clamps before they went into production because they are in the worst place you could put them. :verymad: And if you're going to PhotoShop a pipe to sell, why not PhotoShop it the length that you plan on selling or at least fix the picture after you build the first set. I'm thinking that these pipes were built on a computer and were never tested on the bike. ::)

I will say once again that if you let us do the testing first it may save you some grief. I know it has been said on another board that we are "pushing" Cobra but we are not. We sell parts but we don't want to sell parts that are going to give you problems and us. Those of us that are on the bleeding edge have to deal with these type of problems and hope we can work through them and give good feedback to the guys that are making the parts.

Once again, sorry to hear that you had the same problem. The good thing is they sound great and I should be able to get them on the dyno next week. :bigthumbsup:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Yep, sure enough they have the Slashdown cover on the top pipe in the Speedster Longs box and the Speedster Long cover in the Slashdown box. I just verified that. :confused:

The real problem is they are much longer than the picture even with the right cover on. ::)

·
Registered
849 Posts
So is there a solution? And if there is, what is it and how long will it take? I know from experience that Directline isn't the culprit here, but what can Cobra do, and how quickly are they likely to do it?
I really liked the original style and assumed Cobra was worried about customer relationships when they went to a one year warranty.
Keep me posted. Let me know if there's anything I'm supposed to do.
Jer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, add me to the list of the people who just couldnt wait. I as well am dealing with the top heat shield being too short. I have not really paid attention to the difference in length compared to pictures but I will right away. So, please help us get the right cover. I have burnt holes in three sets of jeans so far cause I still am riding it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just called (1 hr ago) and the sales guy at Direct said that Hal will be out of town until Monday ( he went to the Honda Hoot). Hal pm'ed me and said that he was in contact with Cobra and that he needed to get a list of people affected.

I'm sure Hal will be on later tonight and update us if there is any news. You should pm him and let him know if you already haven't.

-Chad

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Patience is a virtue and unfortunately some people have to learn first hand at what price it is learned.

Both Hal and Lamont clearly stated, right up front, that they would test each exhaust system as they became available and provide the dyno results for each system. I know of no other retailer wheather local or on the Net, for that matter, that would offer to do what these folks have offered. There surely will be several manufactures of exhausts pipes to include true 2 into 1 systems. Rather than buy a system on impulse, just to brag that you have after market pipes, it seems pretty ridiculous to turn down a offer to assure you, that if you wait for the process to unfold, you'll get the best bangs for your bucks.

It is now evident to a host of folks that Cobra, in a rush to meet customer demand, didn't do all their homework before releasing their current exhaust system. Had everyone waited for Lamont to perform the "dirty work" the problem would have been discovered before anyone laid down any cash and then have been confronted with a system which doesn't fit the bill.

I mentioned in another post, not related to this subject, that although I'm from Pa., whenever I'm confronted with something that defies logic, I put on my Missouri hat and say show me. Thats exactly what Hal and Lamont offered to do...."provide proof positive that the products offered would work". To date I have not performed one mode to my 109. Several mods that have been proved and documented on the 109 "how to board" are on my list and when the riding season ends in the North East I'll have plenty to keep me occupied installing sure fire improvements to my machine.

I guess at 58 I'm a old bull which reminds me of this bit of wisdom......

A old bull and young bull are standing on the top of a hill overlooking a herd of heifers...
The young bull says to the old bull "lets run down there and "do a few of those heifers"
The old bull turns and looks at the young bull and says "let walk down there and do them all" :) :) :) :) :) :)......what more can be said for wisdom and patience :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bob109, thank you so much for the helpfull wisdom. After reading it I went back out and tried the heat shield again, it worked better but not quite there yet. Maybe if you would have wrote a longer I told you say reply it would have worked like a glove. I know who to PM now when I am feeling down and just don't think it can get worst. TRULY THANKS AGAIN FOR THE MOST HELPFUL POST.

Mike

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
GunnersM109R said:
Bob109, thank you so much for the helpfull wisdom. After reading it I went back out and tried the heat shield again, it worked better but not quite there yet. Maybe if you would have wrote a longer I told you say reply it would have worked like a glove. I know who to PM now when I am feeling down and just don't think it can get worst. TRULY THANKS AGAIN FOR THE MOST HELPFUL POST.

Mike
I assure you the post wasn't meant to be condescending. I experienced first hand what your experiencing and hoped only to help others from repeating my mistakes. Whenever I hit a snag anymore, I step back and take a second and third look at what I'm trying to do. It's remarkable how looking at something from just a little different angle will give you the answer/cure your looking for. You'll have success with the heat shields......time and tinkering aways prevails!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't have regrets about buying the slashdowns so early in the production, but now I have a new project to try and that's getting them to look like the picture...... It should only involve measuring and cutting real carefully...

ps- these pipes are LOUD !!! I can't wait to pull the baffles :verymad: :evil: :verymad: :evil: :cop: 8)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Sears and Harbor Freight sell high speed air/die grinders ( 20,000 rpm ). One of these with a 4" disc that's 1/6" wide will give a perfect cut on you pipes and covers. If you take a garden hose without a nozzle and run a steady stream of water over the area you're cutting you will get a smooth cut with no bluing of your chrome. Make sure you use safety goggles!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I just got off the phone with Cobra and the new heat shield is on the way. They are talking no fix as far as length and to do it yourself will void the lifetime warranty. Just something to keep in mind. As for the baffles, I pulled them out today and buddy. These pipes are serious without the baffles. I will say a little louder but definitely throatier. Also, makes the slow shift sound sweet. Anyway good luck to all of you that are in this boat with me and thanks again for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gunner-

are they making some new heat shilds....or....do they already have them made and are sending them out only to those who call?

-Chad

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as I know they are already made because they said mine would ship that day. Yes, you have to call and let them know you need one. I know Hal is working a list but I heard they were shipping them to you if you call. Worst case scenario I end up with an extra. Damn the luck.

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts