M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching around but didn't find any answers.

I just purchased a sissy bar along the lines of this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0ff41e8ab&rvr_id=&ua=?*F?&itemid=330437480650

I installed it but I'm not sure if I did it right, it didn't come with any instructions. I took off the two side chrome pieces and set them aside, then put the sissybar on with the provided hardware (four bolts) but I don't like the way it looks because the black rubber under the two chrome pieces is visible.

Am I supposed to leave those chrome pieces on and just put the bar so it's rubbing chrome on chrome? I figured that would cause issues but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The chrome pieces stay on and it should have come with spacers to offset it and not allow it to rub on the chrome. You should have 4 spacers (different sizes), 2 for the front and 2 for the back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense. I just called my dealership and told them the situation and checked to see if they had spacers I could buy. They assured me it was ok to just throw them on over the chrome without any spacers. Now I'm just confused haha.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I have a cobra sissy bar and it came with two different size spacers. chrome to chrome will rub and you will prob. ruin the stock chrome side pieces.

just my thoughts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have the suzuki backrest, and definetly use the spacers..chrome rubbing chrome is never good. you can get the spacers at your local hardware shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought that same sissy bar and it did not come with the spacers. I was gonna ask the same question but you beat me to it :D.The one I bought was used so missing spacers is not to bad especially for the price i paid.Im thinking of just using the pad and make me the one that comes off with the seat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up going to the hardware section at lowe's and getting 6 nylon nuts, then the plumbin section to get a rubber patch. 2 nuts on the back bolt, one on the front. Two little strips of rubber where the chrome would touch and everything is good to go.

Unfortunately I was stupid and left the pad on one side of the mounts while I was messing with it and scratched my paint down to the black plastic. Anyone know a good touch-up paint for the '08 orange? :(

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
here is the spacers you should have I would not bolt directly against your fender struts that will ruin them for sure these spacers came with my suzuki sissy bar and all 4 are the same length 5/8" long

·
Registered
838 Posts
here is the spacers you should have I would not bolt directly against your fender struts that will ruin them for sure these spacers came with my suzuki sissy bar and all 4 are the same length 5/8" long
These are what I have also. I have a factory sissy bar on my bike now. If you would like a pic of the way it's done let me know. It's coming off in a day or two. (I usually ride solo)
Including the bolts for the back rest. 8 total. I leave my chrome plate on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts