M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an enclosed trailer with a ramp for the M. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a single or dual axle trailer? I know the dual axle of the same size will have a higher GVWR, but is that it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Single axle = lighter, easier pull, easier to move around by hand
Dual axle = heavier more substantial and takes the bumps in the road better, will sit level usually when not attached to the truck... umm twice the tires to replace

I have a single axle(not enclosed) that I use and pulls easily but if I had the extra money to buy an enclosed I would buy a double axle more than likely, but like I said more gas to pull and more money to keep it up. At least here the higher the gvwr the more the tags cost.

khrome

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Also, with a dual axle trailer if you get a blow out you can still (more safely) limp to the side of the road.
When I was young I was towing a Bobcat behind a dump truck and it lost one wheel on one side and I never knew!.

If I go to enclosed I would want a dual. If it is an open trailer, 1 axle would be fine.

Sledzep

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently purchased a 5X8 V-nose enclosed trailer, single axle from classic trailer manufacturing. My son in law transported my Burple from Colorado Springs, CO to Stuart, Fl last week. (We winter in Fla) That's over 2,000 miles and he had no problem. The V-nose helps cut the drag and enables extra room for storage in the back. Mine is black (actually it comes in Burple, but I couldn't wait). www.classicmfg/cvt85si-m, plenty of pics. The factory already installed a tire chuck, 4 tie downs and chrome wheels. The '07 came with larger wheels and I bought a spare. I told the dealer that I didn't want the chrome wheels, so he ended up giving them to me at no charge. He was busy, so I don't think it was worth it to change them. The back tie downs are useless, so he installed additional tie downs on the floor near the front for $40. If you've never trailered a bike before, I've learned that you tie down everything forward. I rode in the trailer while my son in law drove @ the hood and the only movement was up and down with the shocks. No side to side at all. I've gotten many positive comments on the trailer. It's sharp! Total price with freight and extras was $3165.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
khrome13 said:
... will sit level usually when not attached to the truck... umm twice the tires to replace

khrome
I will use is as portable garage for my bike, ie I'll be storing it in the at night. So I dont want it to be unstable unhitched so it wont move too much when I ride in there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Breaker said:
I will use is as portable garage for my bike, ie I'll be storing it in the at night. So I dont want it to be unstable unhitched so it wont move too much when I ride in there.
if all you are going to use it for is a portable garage a singel axle trailer will be just fine.

i was thinking of doing the same thing. But i have more then one bike,and i will use the trailer for moor then just bike storage. So i will get a 16foot enclosed trailer with dual axle.
i will also put jack stands under the front and back of the trailer to stabilise it when not hooked to the truck. that way i can load and unload the bike without the trailer moving on me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have said I will ALSO use is as a garage. My wife and I have some long trips we would like to go on and take the bike with.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just bought a 6x10 Pace Trailer with side door and drop down tailgate ramp. Came with 14" bias ply wheels and tires and I switched to 15" radials. Pulls easy and you can move it around with wheel on front with one hand. I had rear jacks put on it so it wouldn't have to be hooked up to load the 109 on it. Works great!! By the way, you need the extra foot in the width over a 5'. 6' you can move around in it and not have any trouble getting on and off.

G

·
I have a 6 x 12 Pace Journeyman with motorcycle kit on it. Single axle. We use it for storag and hauling our goods to bike shows. I like the single axle because I only have a 6 cylinder SUV so it pulls it with no problems and I don't need electric brakes or a controller. If I want to trailer my bike it will hold up to 1000 lbs. and with the bike kit you get a wheel chock, ramp, interior light package, stone guards, Diamond plate trim and some other goodies. Got mine three years ago for about $3200 out the door. Have not had one issue with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts