M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I shortened my sideburner, and it turned out pretty good. I took 7 inches off and it ended up fitting pretty good I had to wiggle and push to get the canister put onto the pipes. Here are some pics to help anyone that wants to try this. I used a .045 cutoff wheel. Oh and the exhaust sounded so loud and Harley-esque with the canister off.

First take the canister off by loosening these clamps and taking out the bolts that hold it to the bracket.

Mark the amount of pipe you want to remove before you take the pipes off that way you know they are flush.

Modify your bracket to accept the shorter exhaust, I already had a custom bracket so you will need to figure out how to fab your own up. But I cut the extra off and drilled some new holes.

Then with some cussing and pushing and twisting it will look like this.

edit: for an addition pic

There have been several guys that have asked me about the the cut into the header pipes and if it will end up being exposed. There is approximately an 1/8 inch lip the will cover the cut once you are done.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have been considering doing this.

Did it make any difference in the sound?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shorty sideburner

I cut mine off enough to use a 6" straight bracket to connect to the old mounting bracket hole and to the pipe. It's louder than before but it sounds great.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
:congrats: on the mod. i am not positive, but i think you are the first to shorten a sideburner. looks great. i imagine the sound also was improved. :clap2:

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
looks awesome I really like them papalobo did a set like these had them for sale wanted to buy but where sold fast nice how-to also :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
:congrats: on the mod. i am not positive, but i think you are the first to shorten a sideburner. looks great. i imagine the sound also was improved. :clap2:
Nope, Papalobo, 47steeler, and NYCdon did it before, and there are a couple others that I haven't seen pics of that have done it also. But I do think that I cut it down shorter than anyone else has. SHORTEST SIDEBURNER ON THE FRIGGIN INTERNET!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good job bro! Doing this to a Velocity Pro tomorrow!
You need to open a shop Hink, you are always workin on somebodys 9. I love gettin greasy I just wish I had some more 9's in my area.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are a couple more pics since my camera was on some sort of setting where everything turns out dark.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
You need to open a shop Hink, you are always workin on somebodys 9. I love gettin greasy I just wish I had some more 9's in my area.
Hinky slept in.... his shop is my garage or his.... ;) we will get her done next time.... :bigthumbsup:

you run into any problems??? besides the mount...

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Nope, Papalobo, 47steeler, and NYCdon did it before, and there are a couple others that I haven't seen pics of that have done it also. But I do think that I cut it down shorter than anyone else has. SHORTEST SIDEBURNER ON THE FRIGGIN INTERNET!
yeah, you're right they did it first. but i meant that you seem to have the shortest of all. it looks good. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hinky slept in.... his shop is my garage or his.... ;) we will get her done next time.... :bigthumbsup:

you run into any problems??? besides the mount...
The mount was easy, the hardest part was were I cut the pipes to get the canister to go on cleanly since the two pipes weren't exactly parrallel. I am glad I took the extra inch or 2 off, I think it was worth the extra effort. And as far as hink goes, I would let him sleep. You never wanna wake a sleeping bear!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah, you're right they did it first. but i meant that you seem to have the shortest of all. it looks good. :bigthumbsup:
I am proud of my shorty sideburner. Now I just need to finish my tires off so I can paint my rims. Its just to bad that the rear dunlop only has 2k miles on it, hmm what can I do.................:evil:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts