M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and found tons of answers but nothing real definitive and was wondering if there were any updates? I know it has to be illuminated but does it have to be horizontal or vertical? Thanks Bruce

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I did a search and found tons of answers but nothing real definitive and was wondering if there were any updates? I know it has to be illuminated but does it have to be horizontal or vertical? Thanks Bruce
If I were you Id call your local cop shop and ask them directly here is South Dakota and now in Minnasota you have to have your plate horazontal thats just what I did before i did mine!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
dunno

I ride vertical but lit and haven't had any problems but of course i am in the sticks of LA

·
Registered
388 Posts
This is similar to Texas where it just says something like the plate needs to be "near the rear" of the vehicle. I searched cases, etc. and could not find anything saying that Louisiana license plates must be horizontal. Though your law does not require it to be horizontal I guess a judge or cop could say it is not "clearly legible" if you have it on there vertically.

This is the Louisiana statute below:

§ 507. Display of plate

A. The permanent registration license plate assigned to a trailer, semitrailer, motorcycle, or other motor vehicle shall be attached to the rear thereof. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the permanent registration license plate assigned to any truck having a gross vehicle weight in excess of six thousand pounds or to any dump truck may be attached to either the front or rear thereof. For the purposes of this Section, dump truck means any truck with a bed that raises to dump a load. The permanent registration license plate shall be so displayed during the current registration year, except as otherwise provided herein.

B. Every permanent registration license plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the research. I tried a search for laws or rules governing the location of the license plate but did not have any luck. I have a relative who was in law enforcement here in louisiana and now in another state and he claims as long as the license plate is visible and has a light, it should be fine on a motorcycle. I will probaly order a side license plate like yours. Thanks again. Bruce

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hey Bruce,
With my job I get to work with the LA State Police. Troops A,B,L and very rarely your guys down at C. They have all told me as long as they can see the tag from 100 feet and it must be illuminated that they won't bother you. However you will always run into a guy that wants to be a little pushy on the subject.Quote the Statute number that coachmajor posted above and say this is what it says in section b and this is the way I interpret it.Just treat them with respect and act like you know what your talking about without being ****y and they will pretty much let you off.

When I go to bike night in Slidell on Wednesday nights there are lots of bikes with side mount plates. So apparently there is no problem in LA. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts