M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, has anyone in md been stopped for side tag bracket ? i just got an inspection and i had to move tag uder tail light to pass. i dont like it there, but the inspector highly recommended that i leave it its new position

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Hope this helps

http://www.ehow.com/about_5476987_motorcycle-mount-license-plate-laws.html

Many states have restricted the use of vertical side-mount plates in their local vehicle codes. For example, California Vehicle Code, Section 5201, states that all rear-mounted license plates must be securely fastened and must be mounted in a position that is unobstructed, clearly visible and legible. The state of Maryland further defines that all license plates must be mounted in a horizontal position, as stated by Maryland Vehicle Law subsection 13--411, Article 2.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
I can tell you that it will help you avoid speed cameras. But it is something that you can get pulled over for.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Mine has been side-mounted since Day 1 and I've encountered several LEOs over the course of the last year and a half, none of whom ever bothered me about the tag (*knocks on wood*). I used to get paranoid any time one was driving behind me, assuming they were going to pull me over and give me a hard time about it. But, the only time they ever even say anything to me, it's just to ask what kind of bike it is, or to compliment it, LOL! I think if you don't give them any cause to pull you over (i.e., don't get caught doing stupid crap), they won't bother you about the tag. But, I'm guessing if they pull you over for speeding, or wreckless/aggressive driving, then they'd probably add the repair order to your list of infractions. That's just my $0.02, of course! ;)

And, as Ryan said, it definitely helps you avoid speed cameras! I was riding between my hubby and Ryan one day, and all 3 of us blew through a speed camera (didn't see it til it was too late), but only 2 tickets were issued. I 'appeared' in both photos, but since the camera couldn't pick up my tag, I didn't get a ticket, LOL! Lucky day for me! :D :doorag:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts