M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so yesterday I vented in a previous post about how I moved the tank back slightly to get to remove the radiator shroud plastics to add coolant. Well, now that that debacle is over with, I decided to detail the bike today to remove all my dirty finger prints. Well low and behold, I think I'm missing the little rectangular rubber grommet that is inserted into the side cover to accept a tab on the bottom of the fuel tank. The rubber is on the left cover, but missing from the right. How crucial is this little rubber grommet? I notice a little extra movement on the right side cover vs the left, but it's not loose, just not as tight towards the front as it is on the left side. Man.... I looked everywhere for this little cushion thingy and no dice. Should I ljust let it be or order one online?:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
I think you are looking for #10. If that is the case, I would just order one from your local dealer. It will be cheaper as you will not have to pay for a $12-$18 shipping charge for a part less then $3.

SKU: 44276-29G00
CUSHION, REAR FENDER 2 $2.97

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
If it's not there the side cover and tank rub together and one of them will lose some paint. The Huff was missing his when I rode with him to the meet in 2009 and it had already started wearing the paint on the cover.

Mine usually stick to the tank, did you see if the missing one was there?

·
Registered
127 Posts
If it's not there the side cover and tank rub together and one of them will lose some paint. The Huff was missing his when I rode with him to the meet in 2009 and it had already started wearing the paint on the cover.

I've now lost both of mine. No where to be found, and believe me, I looked. This after the dealership lost one of the pin locks that hold the side covers on at the top, and the chrome bolt cover is gone on the right side frame. Killin' me!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Zoom, I'd like to get the right side cover off because I actually think the grommet has fallen in the lower part of the cover or somewhere behind it. I understand I need to remove the push pin by pressing in the center, so is the next step just pulling hard or are there some gotcha screw(s)? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Zoom, I'd like to get the right side cover off because I actually think the grommet has fallen in the lower part of the cover or somewhere behind it. I understand I need to remove the push pin by pressing in the center, so is the next step just pulling hard or are there some gotcha screw(s)? Thanks in advance.
To get the side cover off, you need to depress the center of the pin that is under your seat then pull the pin out. Now take the 4 mm allen head and remove the one bolt that is close to the swingarm. Now all you have to do is pull firmly to get the plastic to pop out of the rubber grommets (should be three of them). If you are working on the left side of the bike be careful not to mess up the key mechanism for the seat. You can either pull the cable or set the whole thing on top of your battery box.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
it's not too big of a deal they get lost all the time.

the bigger question is why did you have to take it all apart to add coolant?

Very easy to pop the lid on the reservoir, stick a tube in it and add from outside the plastics:dontknow:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To get the side cover off, you need to depress the center of the pin that is under your seat then pull the pin out. Now take the 4 mm allen head and remove the one bolt that is close to the swingarm. Now all you have to do is pull firmly to get the plastic to pop out of the rubber grommets (should be three of them). If you are working on the left side of the bike be careful not to mess up the key mechanism for the seat. You can either pull the cable or set the whole thing on top of your battery box.
Thanks a bunch :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's not too big of a deal they get lost all the time.

the bigger question is why did you have to take it all apart to add coolant?

Very easy to pop the lid on the reservoir, stick a tube in it and add from outside the plastics:dontknow:
I actually did exactly as you stated, however, the last step was posessed. I made several attemps to sneak the rubber cork back in and overtop of the coolant bottle. The rubber cork finally fell in between the right side of the bottle and the frame. I couldn't get my fat hands in there and didn't want to send a screwdriver in there blindly through the front to help it out. For all I know, the stealer was the one to have lost the rubber cushion on the right cover because I was darn careful with everything and I know they rush.:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I would replace them to avoid rubs. I have had my bike apart so many times that I have lost them before, too. I ordered a bunch of them a while back because it seems like either I or some of my riding buddies could use them.

It happens to the best of us no matter how careful we are, bro. :bigthumbsup:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
I actually did exactly as you stated, however, the last step was posessed. I made several attemps to sneak the rubber cork back in and overtop of the coolant bottle. The rubber cork finally fell in between the right side of the bottle and the frame. I couldn't get my fat hands in there and didn't want to send a screwdriver in there blindly through the front to help it out. For all I know, the stealer was the one to have lost the rubber cushion on the right cover because I was darn careful with everything and I know they rush.:dontknow:
aaahhh, yes that would be a problem. Been there, done that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts