M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got some side burners installed on my 9.

I noticed that there is a considerable gap at the connection of the front pipe. I tried to tighten...but it would not budge. Should I be concerned?

Would that cause a lack of power... I seem to have noticed that after getting the bike back...especially in the first 2 gears.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I recently got some side burners installed on my 9.

I noticed that there is a considerable gap at the connection of the front pipe. I tried to tighten...but it would not budge. Should I be concerned?

Would that cause a lack of power... I seem to have noticed that after getting the bike back...especially in the first 2 gears.

Thanks
Can you take a picture? a lot of times you have to get the head pipes just started and rock the exhaust a little to get them to seat properly before tightening. Do you smoke cigars or cigs? If so, you can blow smoke around it and see if you see it an air leak. Do you hear anything funny? Usually you can hear an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Loosen all the bolts up and re-tighten everything starting with the front pipe then do the rear pipe. Then you can do the bolts that mount to the bracket.

If you had a shop do the work for you, you should take it back and have them take care of the problem. Or better yet show them the problem and fix it yourselft since they obviously shouldn't be taking money to "work" on bikes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you take a picture? a lot of times you have to get the head pipes just started and rock the exhaust a little to get them to seat properly before tightening. Do you smoke cigars or cigs? If so, you can blow smoke around it and see if you see it an air leak. Do you hear anything funny? Usually you can hear an exhaust leak.
I will check with smoke. No I do not hear anything funny...but the pipe is pretty loud so I could be missing it. I will listen closer as well...but the smoke should tell the tale.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I will check with smoke. No I do not hear anything funny...but the pipe is pretty loud so I could be missing it. I will listen closer as well...but the smoke should tell the tale.

Thanks
Also, JD had a valid point as well. Did you do the work yourself? If so, you might want to loosen everything up and try and reset it. Definitely post up a good picture and I can tell you if it isn't right.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, JD had a valid point as well. Did you do the work yourself? If so, you might want to loosen everything up and try and reset it. Definitely post up a good picture and I can tell you if it isn't right.
I will send picks later this evening.

The dealer did the install.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have had my Sideburner off and on so many times I am not even going to go into it, but I can share some insight that you might not pick up unless you have done this exhaust a bunch of times.

it is very easy to unseat the headers while connecting the 'collector'/aft portion of the exhaust if you do not have the heads tight when you attach the collector.

This means that the normal procedure of loosely mounting the headers, connecting the collector, then tightening everything down, can get you the result you are describing.

You will want to check, but you are very likely leaking a little if you can notice that it does not look seated correctly.

Even if you are not leaking now, I would do the following to get it all seated up properly:

Remove the collector, or at least loosen it enough to be able to move the headers a little.

Loosen the headers enough to get them lined up for the collector but give you the play to make sure they are seated against the head.

Tighten down the headers in what seems to be the correct place.

Try to fit the collector and if it does not line up, just loosen the offending header enough to move it into position, then tighten it down again and try to fit the collector.

Wrangling the headers around to fit into the collector, with the headers only half tightened makes it very easy to unseat them and once you have the collector on, there is not enough tightening you can do, without cracking the bolts, to pull that header back into a good seated position with the head.

Just my observations. Your results may vary.

good luck

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Wrangling the headers around to fit into the collector, with the headers only half tightened makes it very easy to unseat them and once you have the collector on, there is not enough tightening you can do, without cracking the bolts, to pull that header back into a good seated position with the head
I am thinking you would end up stripping the bolts out before cracking them since we have an aluminum head. I think your observation is probably dead on though. The couple that I have done, we have had to fuss with it that way to get them right. I can see the dealer just slamming it together, not caring, firing it up and the leak is probably small enough or not there now that they figured it was good to go.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I am thinking you would end up stripping the bolts out before cracking them since we have an aluminum head. I think your observation is probably dead on though. The couple that I have done, we have had to fuss with it that way to get them right. I can see the dealer just slamming it together, not caring, firing it up and the leak is probably small enough or not there now that they figured it was good to go.
Alright, I was not going to admit this, but I am speaking from experience on the cracked bolt.

I had not noticed the unseating on my first install and ran it for about a week before I noticed it. So the bolt was effectively 'heat-hardened' by the exhaust leak.

I tried to tighten it down to get it to seat and well, spent the better part of that night breaking off 2 extractors removing the damn bolt without damaging the head.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Alright, I was not going to admit this, but I am speaking from experience on the cracked bolt.

I had not noticed the unseating on my first install and ran it for about a week before I noticed it. So the bolt was effectively 'heat-hardened' by the exhaust leak.

I tried to tighten it down to get it to seat and well, spent the better part of that night breaking off 2 extractors removing the damn bolt without damaging the head.
Ahhh, yes I can see that happening. I was referring to the original install more then anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The sideburners naturally reduce the power due to the large quantity of exhaust exiting the bike. If you haven't already installed a fuel management system with your sideburners I'd highly recommend it! It'll give you a little more giddyup back in the bike.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/product/DYNOJET-POWER-COMMANDER-3-USB-MOTORCYCLE-FI-CONTROLLER/?id=114559

The PowerCommander has a preset MAP for using the stock airbox with the sideburners and is a fairly straightforward install.

PS. Don't manhandle the exhaust bolts...they're delicate!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The sideburners naturally reduce the power due to the large quantity of exhaust exiting the bike. If you haven't already installed a fuel management system with your sideburners I'd highly recommend it! It'll give you a little more giddyup back in the bike.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/product/DYNOJET-POWER-COMMANDER-3-USB-MOTORCYCLE-FI-CONTROLLER/?id=114559

The PowerCommander has a preset MAP for using the stock airbox with the sideburners and is a fairly straightforward install.

PS. Don't manhandle the exhaust bolts...they're delicate!
Not exactly a fair statement. The sidburner can cost you torque in the low end but will gain you HP for the higher end. Using torque cones helps a great deal with the torque loss.

I will agree that fuel management is a good idea though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts