M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
109R Fanatics,

I love my 109r and recently took it to a Rally Ride sponsored by the BMW MOA Club through the Appalachian Mountains for 3 Days. We stayed at Pine Mountain State Park in Pineville, KY. Me and my bubby did the Copper Head Road Run which is 110 miles with 956 curves from Harrogate to Bean Station. This is a very technical ride through all posted 15 mph, 20 mph and 25 mph twisties that will require you to be in the right gear and speed with your eyes looking up and around the next corner as many of the turns will tighten like a nautilus and you will run out of road into on coming traffic. First timers should take it easy and enjoy the ride those with skills prepare your face to hurt after holding that smile from ear to ear non stop.

I have my bike set up with a set Racetech springs in the fork and my under sprung and over dampened issue is history. If there are riders out there like me that rides the 109r like a street bike. You might want to consider this very necessary upgrade even if your not riding it like you stole it. I am in discussion with Racetech to build me a proper rear spring this winter as the one from the factory as you all know is a brick. I will post what the bike feels like after install this winter and a bunch of test rides. Definitely going to be better than what's in there now.

Not why I'm here but wanted to share.

On the above ride my bike started shutting down on very hard breaking, downshifting and shutting down the throttle. Is anyone having this issue with their bike as it sucks if your turning and your engine cuts off. Does not feel electrical but more like the fuel stopped flowing.

Thanks for your time in advance.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the details of your bike and riding adventure, it sounds interesting!

I would clean or replace your fuel filter. The first sign they are clogging is the bike quits when coming to a stop. Not sure why they do it then and not when running at full throttle like you think they would. The OEM filter runs close to $60, which is ridiculous, or on Ebay you can get 3 of them shipped from China for less than $10 if you can wait that long. It also helps to remove them and wash them out in carb cleaner.

It kind of sounds like the fuel is running away from the filter/boot, which is located near the rear of the tank, but that definitely is not a common problem. If the tank is more than half full I don't think it could move away enough to stall the engine

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
They may not quit on full throttle, but a tell-tale sign is the bike won't take full throttle. Coughs, spits, and overall just whines like a SJW.

I've had to replace the fuel filter on my 2006 three times now. First at around 11,000 miles, second around 23,000 and the last around 34,000. Just heading toward 39,000 soon. Funny thing is, I fill my bikes in the garage using two five gallon containers with filtered nozzles, and a funnel with dual mesh filters. And the fookers still get plugged up. I don't get it.

Just recently had to replace the fuel filter on my 2008 Suzuki B-King. Started misfiring and wouldn't take hardly any throttle at all. Just over 10,000 miles. Man, getting to the fuel filter on the B-King is FAR WORSE than the M109R. I actually had to disassemble the fuel pump to get to it. After removing all the fancy body work and the fuel tank. Over an hour jsut to get the damn tank off. PITA!!! GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

And every time I've replaced them, the bikes run like tops all over again.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,901 Posts
It could also be a MISSING fuel strainer boot. The boot holds fuel for times that you are riding downhill with a partial tank. Hard braking or hard decel would also cause this.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
It could also be a MISSING fuel strainer boot. The boot holds fuel for times that you are riding downhill with a partial tank. Hard braking or hard decel would also cause this.
Missing or the connection is tenuous. Last time I changed my filter, the boot wasn't attached to the pump any longer. It's a zip-tie, iirc? Either I mistakenly didn't put it on, or the fuel had caused it to loosen up. So that may have been the problem the last time I changed it, but I already had the filter, so I went ahead and installed it anyways.

B-Kings arrangement is better, even though it's a PITA to change. It's inside a barrel on the very bottom of the pump. So it doesn't need a boot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts