M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the heavy duty clutch plates and heavy duty springs. I still have clutch shutter:mad:. Is there anything I can do to stop the clutch shutter:dontknow:? I also am wondering if anybody knows were or how I can get a Y pipe for my next exhaust idea? I am cutting down a set of aftermarket exhaust pipes and I need a Y pipe so I can install a 5in supertrapp exhaust muffler:p.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
Did you soak the plates overnight before installing them? Honestly, the heavy duty plates and springs won't fix this issue. I know of a couple folks that tried them and went back to stock plates. The springs don't really matter but you don't need them either.

On the Y pipe, you don't need that either. Cut the pipe off right in front of the SET, where the weld is, and slide a 3" pipe over it. That gives you a nice collector, then you can reduce it to the size of your muffler from there. If you want a Y pipe, do google search for them. I thought about going that way but wanted a collector, and there's several places that have them. You need dual 1 3/4" inlets and whatever outlet matches the muffler.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Did you check out the tube nut on the clutch basket while you were in there? See the FAQ link in Hink's sig and look for the clutch rattle, etc. I do agree with Zoom, the OEM clutch is sufficient for this bike, unless you are running race modified only.

G

·
The only thing that's gonna fix the shudder is getting more oil into the clutch basket. I had the shudder before I put the aftermarket plates in there, and I still get it occasionally now. Tipping the bike over to the right side before you start it up to get some oil into the clutch seems to help...especially if the bike has been sitting for a few days. I do it as a matter of protocol now, and only get the shudder if I forget, or I'm in a hurry to get going and skip it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
what is clutch shutter

what exactly is clutch shutter? is it usually coming out of first gear? does the biker jerk when taking off? if so then I have that issue. some of warmer days, it only does it about once or twice a day. other days it does it several times in a row. it's a annoying I tell you. I was told I needed a TRE or fuel commander thingy. it's been to the dealer with all the maintenance up to date. I have the 2008 109r LE with only 2500 miles on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Which one?

I think we're discussing two different things. Mine shudders occasionally when taking off. It does get grabby sometimes when downshifting too. Took it to the dealer (great guys in Bremerton at Cliff's) and Brent found an internal clutch adjustment. Fixed up the decel, but I think the only way to lose the take-off shudder is to go synthetic. Not everyone gets this problem. I will try the "tipping the bike trick" though. Gray '08 109R2, ~9,000mi & climbing rapidly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi guys my bike has the clutch judder also, I`ve had it since i bought the bike with 1200 miles on the clock!!,I took it to my local stealer, and they rode it and said there`s nothing wrong with it, but the damn thing was OK when i made the apt to take it in!!, so you guess it kept on doing it , so i rang the dealer up where i purchased it from 130 miles away!, and he said he would make a call to Suzuki!, next day he got back to me and said Suzuki would cover it, ( it was out of warranty ) by then and had 3200 miles on it!!,any ways its in the shop as i type!, and i will get back to the board with part no`s and pics as i told him to keep the old parts before they go back to Suzuki!, there is a post on here somewhere!, that says there are two parts that need replacing ( not much) about $40.00 ,
ITS A KNOWN ISSUE BY SUZUKI!!!!! :edit: :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
Clutch shudder, shutter, stutter, or shake occurs on some as you let the clutch out. It's like the clutch is rapidly engaging and disengaging, which shakes the heck out of the bike. Some do it bad enough that it looks like they jump up and down. It usually doesn't do it between gears, just taking off.

If you compare how a badly warped brake rotor on a car makes it feel when you are braking, and multiply that several times over, it's a reaction similar to that.

Mine has never done it, other than it kind of tried to once, and the only thing I do is always hold the clutch in when at a stop sign or light. Any time the clutch is pulled in oil can get between the plates, and lack of oil is what causes it. I also tilt mine over to the right to let some oil in there once in a while as dv0042 mentioned. I've even placed a 4x4 under the foot rest mount on the right side and leaned the bike on that for a while. Not sure what works, but mine takes off smoothly. I also run 20w50 synthetic, but it didn't do it on 10w40 synthetic on the factory lube.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I would say you need a Gipro (TRE) for your issue. The JSD 3 cured that for me, but i would go with the GiPro now. You'll know if it's the shutter, usually between 2800 -3500 RPM on acceleration.
A TRE will have no effect on the clutch. The shudder being discussed here occurs when you're sitting still and you start letting the clutch out to take off in 1st gear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Clutch shudder, shutter, stutter, or shake occurs on some as you let the clutch out. It's like the clutch is rapidly engaging and disengaging, which shakes the heck out of the bike. Some do it bad enough that it looks like they jump up and down. It usually doesn't do it between gears, just taking off.

If you compare how a badly warped brake rotor on a car makes it feel when you are braking, and multiply that several times over, it's a reaction similar to that.

:agree: Zoom exactly how you said !!, I moved off on mine the other day and lightly feathered the clutch as i knew it would be there!, and f%ck, The thing started to jump in and out of drive as if you were dumping the clutch real hard!!!:cus: and you re right about lack of oil also!, if i park mine on the side stand overnight its worse, but when i park it on the centre jack straight up level, it seems to be a bit better, but laying it on its side with the clutch pulled and waiting at lights with the clutch pulled is a wast of time, the fix is a wavy washer, ( seems to have been put in back to front on production ) :edit: waiting until it warms up also is a waste of time!! , Damn thing has done it from new!!.its only in first gear when you take off, it selects perfect on the move and also when getting neutral!, as i said before on earlier posts i will try and get some pics of the offending parts and part no`s when i pick mike bike back up from the dealers tomorrow!.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Lockport

When are you experiencing the shudder? All the time, or when you first start the bike? My bike will do it if the bike's been parked overnight and I try to take off right after I start it, but if let the bike warm up for 3-5 minutes, it won't do it. I've only had shudder when the bike was at operating temps 2 or 3 times since I've owned it, so that's pretty much a non-issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Gramps :p I`m experiencing the shudder? All the time, on start off and even when i`ve done a 100 mile run it`s still there, it`s :edit: ing dangerous, it gives you no confidence in the bike!,

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wavy washer?

:agree: Zoom exactly how you said !!, I moved off on mine the other day and lightly feathered the clutch as i knew it would be there!, and f%ck, The thing started to jump in and out of drive as if you were dumping the clutch real hard!!!:cus: and you re right about lack of oil also!, if i park mine on the side stand overnight its worse, but when i park it on the centre jack straight up level, it seems to be a bit better, but laying it on its side with the clutch pulled and waiting at lights with the clutch pulled is a wast of time, the fix is a wavy washer, ( seems to have been put in back to front on production ) :edit: waiting until it warms up also is a waste of time!! , Damn thing has done it from new!!.its only in first gear when you take off, it selects perfect on the move and also when getting neutral!, as i said before on earlier posts i will try and get some pics of the offending parts and part no`s when i pick mike bike back up from the dealers tomorrow!.
Let us know, if it's an actual fix that would be huge. I can't help but thinking it's a design deficiency with the oiling system...:dontknow:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
A TRE will have no effect on the clutch. The shudder being discussed here occurs when you're sitting still and you start letting the clutch out to take off in 1st gear.
This was about a different issue...I agree with this. The guy explained it as a jumpy throttle. TRE will cure that. He was referring to the post above his.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts