M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked my bike up and did a walk around with the service manager, I pointed out a few nicks in the black paint on the tank.
He wrote it down and agreed to replace it when I come in for my first service. He then went on to say they would actually just re-paint it.
I guess he has an agreement with a local paint shop. He went on to say it would look exactly the same as the original, and in fact he said it would be better than factory, because it would have more clear coats on it.

Should I just insist on a new tank, or let him do the re-paint?

Would the re-paint be better than factory? Any painters out there wth any suggestions.

·
Registered
154 Posts
the factory clear coat sucks - repaint. as a matter of fact, see if you can have them clear the whole thing you will be way ahead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you go the route of having it repainted, have them double up on clear coat. I don't know much about paint, but I do know that my tank is very sensitive to scratching. Seems the paint is soft, much easier to scratch than other bikes I've owned.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Go ahead and have a custum paint job done... :D

A tank is reletively easy to do...more clear coat isn't necessarily better...it's the quality and bake process used ...Make sure the paint matches as black
has a blue flake in it.

Enjoy !

·
Registered
817 Posts
I don't know if Colorite has a good match for this paint or not. Nine times out of 10, that's what a paint shop is going to use. Be careful; there have been some definite quality issues over Colorite paint in the past.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Make them replace it not match it. For what these go for it should be new and then maybe they will sell the tank on ebay and I can start building and inventory for the 109 like I have for the vtx.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree make them replace the tank. Why take the risk of the paint not matching

1 - 8 of 8 Posts