M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started noticing oil inside my rear wheel. Specifically, I started noticing it after the day I dumped the clutch and spun the rear wheel for the first time (the one from the post where I was riding with a friend on his R1). Anyway, it is apparently coming from between the rear hub. I have recently (as in a couple weeks and 1000 miles ago) I changed the rear end oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic 70W90. Does this mean my seal has gone out? Is this a big deal? Let me know if I should be concerned. I have been wiping up the spray in the wheel and around the hub, but after a long ride, dirt shows that there is still a leak. Looked like I needed to tighten the drain plug the first time I noticed it, so I figured it was coming from the plug and then getting spun around the hub when it dripped down there. This last time though, there was no evidence of drain around the plug, yet I show evidence of oil around the hub as well as in the wheel.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ppridgen1 said:
ck the fluid level in the rear end drive unit....then look at the oil pan for the engine and see if there is oil there, :bigthumbsup: :doorag:because it blows back and hits the rim
I'm pretty sure it's rear end oil and not oil from the crank. I'll take a pic tomorrow. It's like it's spraying out from the rear hub where it and the wheel come together.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Once on a very hot day with spirited riding I noticed some weeping back there and from the plug. I figure it just got vey hot, the oil got thinner and maybe somehing exoanded to let a little out. I have only seen it twice total and it has been HOT in GA.

I am not worried, Yet.

Sledzep

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll just keep a close eye on the level to see if it's only a small amount or something more. If anybody else has had this, and ended up getting it fixed, let me know what the deal was. Thanks

·
Registered
543 Posts
That big rim picks up some trash.I road on a road just black toped ,and yep on the rear rim.I too also see some oil on rim as you do ,but can't see where its from.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple pics of what I'm talking about. Note that the spray is not all the way around the wheel, which would lead me to think it wasn't coming from the crank, but instead coming from one particular spot in the hub.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I had the same problem it is a seal that was defective. Dealer ordered one and replaced it. Apparently they didn't get this one seated right and will have to replace it again. Part now on order.

When they fixed the first time, they showed me the old seal and where it had been crimped on the edge allowing a slight leakage of the gear oil. I am afraid they probably crimped the new one when they replaced it.

And yes, it does screw up your rim with a slight coat of oil that picks up road dust.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I had some seepage at the drain plug after I serviced my bike, I just tighten the plug 1/4 quarter turn and took care of it. However; it looks like you have some seepage at the hub housing. I guess you could see what your axle is torgue at.

C-One

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sledzep01 said:
Mine was not that bad!!

Sledzep
That was after a 250 mile ride so that may be the reason. Even went through a bit of rain, so I think that accounts for the mess on the hub near the fill plug. I spoke with the servide dept guy and he said they had one on the stand right then with the same thing. He said I maybe overfilled it a bit (which is possible since I filled it while holding the bike as level as I could), or that the seal could be bad. He said I should just clean it off and keep an eye on it and bring it in if it seems to get worse.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on mine. It occurred only after i change the rear end oil at 300 miles. It appeared twice after hard rides and then it cleared up. It seams more like grease than oil.

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
metric man said:
I had the exact same thing happen on mine. It occurred only after i change the rear end oil at 300 miles. It appeared twice after hard rides and then it cleared up. It seams more like grease than oil.
I'm thinking it grease too. There is grease on the splines and when it gets hot it will work it's way out of the hub.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I agree with Lamont! The factory applies grease to the wheel and hub splines when the bike is originally assembled. Under certain conditions ( fast wheel spin ) either from a hard start or very high speed riding the hub acts like a centrifuge and cast off some of the excess grease. Had this occur on my 109 and cleaned and checked the wheel over several rides and had no additional problems.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I hope that's all it is. The first time I noticed it was after my first hard wheel-spinning start, and then this time after a 250 mile ride to the beach and back in one hot day.... with several stretches above 90MPH.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Thanks guys. I hope that's all it is. The first time I noticed it was after my first hard wheel-spinning start, and then this time after a 250 mile ride to the beach and back in one hot day.... with several stretches above 90MPH.
You definitely had the centrifuge effect working :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just switched over to synthetic last night and went for a ride today and the rim is full of grease looking substance. I had in the past had alittle but not like this, it wasn't around the hub. I am thinking maybe a fine leak in the drain plug that shows itself when it heats up ??? Everything is tight so?

·
Registered
696 Posts
i am getting "some" too from the drain plug and on the wheel.... do anyone know if there is a crush washer at the plug... maybe it should be replaced each time...mjm

·
Registered
287 Posts
aceventura said:
i am getting "some" too from the drain plug and on the wheel.... do anyone know if there is a crush washer at the plug... maybe it should be replaced each time...mjm
Yes there is a crush washer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts