M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i searched and didnt find any how-tos already done for this that had some picz...so i figured Ide put one up.

for anyone with a little mechanical know how this should be a 6 out of 10 on the easy scale.

there will be some welding and cutting, so if you have those skills then this should be an easy option for exhaust......not to mention its free!!!

For this exhaust option there is no need for fuel management...SET and CAT are still fully in tact.

everyone knows what the stock pipes look like so I'll just post the after pic for those who reall want to read all of this.

and now for the work...

remove seat

then remove this bolt and cover

than youll need this.....just to calm the nerves from thinking about tearing your bike apart...

then you remove the right side cover...

then one of these again

then remove this bolt

then these

one more

then remove the headbolts

you should now be able to pull the pipes away from the bike...

remove the black side cover

youll now need to remove the black exhaust brackett...
there is a bolt underneeth

hehe...one more

remove this chrome cover...

now you should be able to pull the exhaust away from the bike and the only thing that is still attahced is the SET wiring....unplug these 2 clips...

now you can put the exhaust in a work area away from the bike to do the rest...

this is what your bike will look like minus the exhaust...

need another one of these again...

remove the SET cover

then the Valve

loosen the cable locks and remove the cables...

now with the SET valve moved out of the way you can start to remove the top pipe...first loosen these bolts

then these...

pull the pipe backwards to remove

then you can remove the top pipe cover...

on the bottom of the top pipe there is a seam...remember its there, we will be using it to mark our angles of the tips later...

now remove the lower pipe cover...

then another one of these!!

now that everything is off the pipes and we are ready for cutting first we mark the pipes for the legnth of the tips....on the bottom pipe, there is a seam that measures 1 inch from the back of the bottom of the tip...

we used that line and measured the same distance for the top pipe...we also marked the seam at the rear so when we put the tip back and get ready to weld in place the angle stays the same...we marked the frnt and back of the pipe.

now comes the cutting....regular chop saw will do, i just happen to have this saw available.

after cutting the top pipe this is what we have left....

now for the bottom pipe...

another one of these...(its hot here in Houston today):D

cleaned all the cuts up with a paddle wheel...

next we removed the rear baffle wall from both tips...I used a plasma cutter because I happen to have one available...a torch with a low flame will work just fine too...

one more just because...

next you will need to cut the exhaust brackett...jut behind the vertical brace

this is what it should look like after cutting...the bottom piece is now trash....use black paint to cover the fresh cut on the top piece

now comes the welding....on the pieces for the top pipe, we matched up the markings so we can keep the correct angle and tack welded the tip in place...the rest of the weld were on the inside of the tip as to keep them clean

put the finished upper pipe tip back inside the cover. you will need to open the cover up a little bit to fit the pipe but be patient it will go back in there.

now put the top pipe back on the exhaust and make sure the covers match up for angle...(do not bolt it on yet) set the bottom tip on the bottom pipe and get the right angle them tack weld it in place.

we put the lower pipe cover back on and tack welded it into place so that there is no vibrations.:bigthumbsup:

pipe is done.....reinstall just the same way you removed it...be sure to tighten all the bolts! dont want any loose bolts!

cant help myself now!

here is the finished product!

and a sound clip!

hope this help for those who dont want to spend a ton of cahs on pipes!

thanks for reading all this!:doorag:

(edit: the beer was just a joke...we started this project at 9 a.m., finished at noon....then once we were back at the house is was beer-thirty!)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Bravo dude.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::#1::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I have also shortened my pipes. Not that far! But I think it's a great mod!

Well done 10/10. :#1:

·
Registered
877 Posts
good post up...:bigthumbsup:
wish i had those tools around my garage bet it took no time @ all

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks! One more mod I NEED to do :cus: Well I guess I wanted to make it more obnoxious anyway so what the heck.;)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Looks great it is always nice to hang out in the garage and cut up something that you just want to make your own. Of course the icing on the cake is drinking beer while doing all the cutting, grinding, and wrenching.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It's clear that there was way to much work going on here and not enough drinking. You Sir are a light weight :joke:

Great Write Up !!! If you disconnect the set valve and the clip the wire for the computer these are obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
great how-to here's where I cut mine(notice the inside of pipe) I think it looks cleaner also went to sears hardware and put bought some black caps and silicone them in the end then painted the ends with black paint cleans it up a little hope this also helps once again great job people have been waiting for someone to do it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I purchased a used stock exhaust and now waiting for my buddy to come back from vacation so I can get busy doing the same mod. PERFECT TIME FOR YOUR HOW-TO PICTURES!!!!
I'm also waiting for some pricing on shipping on another pipe I saw here, so depending on the price I'll have a complete stock pipe for sale...

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
That is the BEST how to I have ever seen!!!

I noticed when things got more technical the beer slowed down, good one!

I want to do this now!!
:bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is an excellent how to, but I have a few questions for you. When you put the exhaust back together, did you discard the set valve? I wasn't sure with all the cutting that there would be a mount for it still. Second, when you welded the pieces back together did you just spot weld to hold the tips on? Or, did you put a continuous bead all the way around? Finally, did the chrome blemish when you did your welding, and if so how did you address it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is an excellent how to, but I have a few questions for you. When you put the exhaust back together, did you discard the set valve? I wasn't sure with all the cutting that there would be a mount for it still. Second, when you welded the pieces back together did you just spot weld to hold the tips on? Or, did you put a continuous bead all the way around? Finally, did the chrome blemish when you did your welding, and if so how did you address it?
First let me say thanks for all the coments...

I searched for ever trying to find an aftermarket exhaust that I liked and it was either I didn't like the looks. But loved the sound or didn't like the sound and not the looks. So I figured doing this free mod couldn't be beat!

Highroller: for your questions....

The SET is still in tack and mounted where it was mounted from the factory...the mounts for it were not effected by the mod. If you look at where I cut the exhaust brackett behind the vert brace you'll see the mounting holes are still there.

For the tips I welded the tips on with 3 1 inch welds. And no the chrome didn't blemish at all. But if you are concerned you could wrap a wet towel around the tip to keep it semi cool during the welding process.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Great post :bigthumbsup:

I have wanted to do similar how to's however I lack the ability to stop and take a picture when I should , I just start and go without stopping.

on another note , with all the weight you dropped from your exhaust at least now you won't have to drink light beer anymore .:joke:

could have been worse I guess , it could have been bud light lime.....

:joke:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
This mod is harder to do on the Canadian side of the border..
9 beers , 9 real beers , but I rehearsed Saturday night
and I'm fine with the beer part , missing a few tools so
I'll stick to rehearsals . (not everybody has welding equipment
, unfortunately) :redfaced: ,:beer2: , :beer3: ,:D .

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's clear that there was way to much work going on here and not enough drinking. You Sir are a light weight :joke:

Great Write Up !!! If you disconnect the set valve and the clip the wire for the computer these are obnoxiously loud.
I have mine pretty much cleaned through all the baffles and i am looking to get something louder, can i do this with mine still and get a gain? and will it have any bad "side effects" on the bike? would love to cut mine shorter but lack the tools to produce this...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts