M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to start shopping for my 9 next week but before I do I have some questions. I've had a few bikes and still own a Hayabusa so I know what to look for as far as external damage like bent forks, service records and rash but want to know if there is any other particulars I need to look for when shopping.

I see that the 9 had some tranny issues so did Suzuki fix this after a certain year or does it affect all 109's?

Does Suzuki's factory warranty tranfer from one owner tot he next?

Do some years have more problems than others?

Are there certain problems that all of them encounter? If so, I'd like to get a bike that has had these types of problems already fixed.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
263 Posts
all of the 9's are prone to having all of the same problems, no different from year to year. Although there are plenty of guys that havent had a single problem with there bikes. It seems to be sparatic. Suzuki has release a new wave washer and drive plate that seems to create the clutch shutter that some guys have. Other then that if you do get one make sure you shift like you mean it especially from 1st to 2nd.
goodluck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all of the 9's are prone to having all of the same problems, no different from year to year. Although there are plenty of guys that havent had a single problem with there bikes. It seems to be sparatic. Suzuki has release a new wave washer and drive plate that seems to create the clutch shutter that some guys have. Other then that if you do get one make sure you shift like you mean it especially from 1st to 2nd.
goodluck
Thanks for the advice. Man, I really hope I don't inherit somebody elses problem bike. I was thinking the same thing so I hope the person that owns the bike that I'm test driving doesn't get that pissed when I put his bike to the test...:doorag:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
So I'm going to start shopping for my 9 next week but before I do I have some questions. I've had a few bikes and still own a Hayabusa so I know what to look for as far as external damage like bent forks, service records and rash but want to know if there is any other particulars I need to look for when shopping.

I see that the 9 had some tranny issues so did Suzuki fix this after a certain year or does it affect all 109's?

Are there certain problems that all of them encounter? If so, I'd like to get a bike that has had these types of problems already fixed.

Thanks in advance...
If I were you I would wait about another month or so for the 2011's to come out, thats if your looking to buy new.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
hmmmm:dontknow: Definitely a possibility...
The 2011's come with a nice tach setup and a nice looking indy blue I believe they call it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
:welcome: to the forum and let us know what happens. :bigthumbsup: I think the main thing is how they maintained it and how the rode it that will make the biggest difference.

Hope to see you at the BIG meet in June or other rides. Check out the two links in my signature.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
:welcome: to the forum.

A good test ride should show up any problems with the tranny. Going into second tends to be a bit notchy unless you shift it firmly or shift at low rpms. If there is a problem with the tranny it will kick out of second gear under power.

Not much else happens to them as far as mechanical problems though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
:welcome: and good luck with your decision! You will not be disappointed when owning a 9. Lemons are always possible which are the ones you hear about. I'd say the tranny issue is < 1%. Now, the mod bug is > 99% likely which is just unavoidable and Suzuki has no intentions of fixing it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought we weren't getting the 2011 M109's??? :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts

Thanks in advance...
I seem to think from reading all the problems on the site that the guys that have altered their nine's seem to have more troubles than the guys that have left them basically stock. Jap bikes have alway be subject to problems when altered from stock. I have done nothing to my 2007 M109R to change anything on it and have had zero problems other than the bike not liking quick changes from first to second gear. If you go slower with the shift its not a problem. I stick to busy gas stations with shell or Bp 93 octane and have had no trouble with fuel filters and I have over 14000 miles on my nine. I don't put water or power wash my bike and I keep it showroom condition with NEXT DIMENSION cleaner wax and polish. I think the hardest thing on the nine is keeping the radiator clean of bugs. All I have found for that is a soft bristle brush that does not get it absolutly clean but useable. So I would look for someone like myself who like the nines original look so much that they refused to change it or add an after market pipe or put a power commander on it or chopped out the inside of the original pipe. If its altered 9 times out of ten you will come across problems sooner or later. Just the opinion of one guy and there are those out there that will disagree with everything I have told you. :dontknow:

·
Registered
300 Posts
stock 9

:agree:eek:ther than K&N filters and some holes drilled in end plate of exhaust mine is stock and never had any issues
I seem to think from reading all the problems on the site that the guys that have altered their nine's seem to have more troubles than the guys that have left them basically stock. Jap bikes have alway be subject to problems when altered from stock. I have done nothing to my 2007 M109R to change anything on it and have had zero problems other than the bike not liking quick changes from first to second gear. If you go slower with the shift its not a problem. I stick to busy gas stations with shell or Bp 93 octane and have had no trouble with fuel filters and I have over 14000 miles on my nine. I don't put water or power wash my bike and I keep it showroom condition with NEXT DIMENSION cleaner wax and polish. I think the hardest thing on the nine is keeping the radiator clean of bugs. All I have found for that is a soft bristle brush that does not get it absolutly clean but useable. So I would look for someone like myself who like the nines original look so much that they refused to change it or add an after market pipe or put a power commander on it or chopped out the inside of the original pipe. If its altered 9 times out of ten you will come across problems sooner or later. Just the opinion of one guy and there are those out there that will disagree with everything I have told you. :dontknow:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of the response! This board has been a great source of info. I can't wait to add the 9 to the toy box...

Another question I had was how significant does the lean angle reduce when going to a 280-300 rear? I really like the look but don't want to kill the bikes perfprmance all that much in the twisties. I know it will affect it some but is it that drastic? Is it a case where I'll have to use my Busa in the twisites and the 9 in the long hauls?

I'm hoping to get a bike in the next 2 weeks so keep the PM's coming... I've seen a few bikes that I really like so far.
Thanks Again...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts