M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me which way to turn the freckin spanner wrench to losin or tighten the rear shock ?? ive even took the skid plate off but still cant see the so call tab the book says is there , because theres a tab on each side of the shock :verymad:,,,,,, laying on your back from the muffler side which way is which ???

·
Registered
29 Posts
I cant say for sure BUT you can watch the rear ride height go up or down as you move the collar...obviously up is stiffer. However remember the spring adjustment affects ride height and handling way more than it softens or stiffens the ride. I run my bike on position #7 because it provides the most accurate steering, best chassis attitude, and improves cornering clearance substantially. I tried all the positions and did not find any that really improved the plushness of the ride. The shock has a lot of compression damping to control the drive shaft from jacking up and down (which creates a stiff ride)any more than it already does so I consider the preload collar a ride height adjuster more than anything...it greatly affects the bike cornering ability. Curt

·
Registered
7 Posts
With the bike on the stand, push the handle of the adjusting spanner toward the kickstand to go to a lower number (softer ride). I found that moving my setting to a 3 didn't affect the handling in the twisties but really reduced the shock when running over tar strips. There is no need to remove the plate bolted to the frame in order to adjust the shock.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Look at the numbers on the collar. The factory setting is on 4. If you haven't moved it the pin by the number 4 is the setting pin (tab). Just move the collar to the number you want on that pin (tab).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts