M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how helpful you guys can be and how good you are at knowing crazy details on just about any topic, so I thought I'd ask you guys first, before I get tangled up with the official shippers and all their "special offers".

I'm looking for info on total costs to send my 109 from near Philly in PA up to Vancouver BC Canada (or possibly Seattle?).

Anyone have any info/ experience?
thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't have the name of the company but I recall packing around a business card for a while after going to the Vancouver, BC motorcycle show a few years back.

Basically they offered anywhere to anywhere in the US shipping at $600.00 one way. I thought that was a great deal as I was going to ship my bike from Seattle to Florida, fly there then ride back.

Google motorcycle shipping by truck see what you come up with, if I can find that card, I let you know.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
453 Posts
Isn't PA. like southern Canada anyway? Hell just ride:dontknow:
Sooooooo geography wasn't really your strongest subject in grade school hunh....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sooooooo geography wasn't really your strongest subject in grade school hunh....
:a20:

I've looked at cross-border shipping before for my bike. I think you're going to find it far cheaper to ship it to Seattle or even Bellingham WA, and then drive it across the border yourself. Once you start talking about having the shipping company taking it across borders, there's a crapload of paperwork and brokerage stuff that goes on, and often a second carrier is involved on the other side.

Honest, the difference is almost double the price. I had these guys do a quote for me, and it was about $650 to ship within the US ... and $1370 with shipping across the border. ( http://www.shipmybike.com/) :eek:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info guys. I knew you'd come through!

You've given me a lot to think about and some great advice already. I'll follow up on those links.

I'm not leaving this baby behind!!!!

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Isn't PA. like southern Canada anyway? Hell just ride:dontknow:
Ummmmmm...while riding from PA north to the Canadian border in Ontario may be a short distance, going from the east coast (PA)to the west coast (British Columbia)is not...it is over 3000 miles. Like it was said, geography was not your best subject in school.

Please try and remember that Canada is a Country and has things called "Provinces" that are just like your "States" except much larger on average. Also, seeing as Canada is larger than the USA you may want to be more specific when picking an area within the country to go.

PS. Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
453 Posts
:a20:

I've looked at cross-border shipping before for my bike. I think you're going to find it far cheaper to ship it to Seattle or even Bellingham WA, and then drive it across the border yourself. Once you start talking about having the shipping company taking it across borders, there's a crapload of paperwork and brokerage stuff that goes on, and often a second carrier is involved on the other side.

Honest, the difference is almost double the price. I had these guys do a quote for me, and it was about $650 to ship within the US ... and $1370 with shipping across the border. ( http://www.shipmybike.com/) :eek:
Yup, couldn't agree more. Perhaps organize with another member who lives in Washington or Oregon to have it shipped to their door. Then absolutely ride it across the border.
These flippin government agencies can't wait to get their mits on your $$$
But do check into getting it plated for Canada. You may need to go through some kind of inspection while in Canada. I friend bought a bike in Texas and turned it into a trip. She had all the border papers waiting for her before she arrived. She said it went pretty smoothly.
Plan for around April - Nov latest. Otherwise expect lots of water & cool temps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
uship.com You post where, when and what you need shipped. Companies bid on your job and you pick who you want. I've used uship.com twice with no problems.

·
xxx
210 Posts
I know how helpful you guys can be and how good you are at knowing crazy details on just about any topic, so I thought I'd ask you guys first, before I get tangled up with the official shippers and all their "special offers".

I'm looking for info on total costs to send my 109 from near Philly in PA up to Vancouver BC Canada (or possibly Seattle?).

Anyone have any info/ experience?
thanks in advance guys.
I used Haulbikes.com last year from California. Met the truck in Blaine, Wa. which is right at the border, south of Vancouver. Given the paperwork needed to import a vehicle this is the best location. It takes them about three weeks though as they move everything to a central hub and then ship from there once they have a truckload heading in one direction. Every bike has its own space and nothing is going to knock into it. They offered a better price on the phone than their website showed as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
uship.com You post where, when and what you need shipped. Companies bid on your job and you pick who you want. I've used uship.com twice with no problems.
:agree: Holy cow, something we CAN agree on.:clap2: I have used this site before with great results. It's how I got my bike to DE from LA and saved a ton of ca$h. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have used Daily Direct twice in the past (haulbikes.com) and their prices and service were great. They have bikers hauling bikes.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
There are a couple of things you're going to have to think of when you bring the bike into Canada. The first is if you want to register it. This means that you'll have to pay GST @ approx 5% of the declared value of your bike. You're also going to have to have a general roadworthy done as well as get an import plate for your bike.

The only reason I know this is because I did the Canada to Australia shipping thing. It's a big pain in the ass but make sure you have some paperwork ready at the border when you plan on picking your bike up. Ie. Proof of ownership for over 12 months, registration papers for over the last 12 months, residence documents, first born child...

It took me 2 months to get an import permit for here in Australia when I moved here for work. It would have been better if I had bought one in the country.

Some good reading: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mj/import.htm

Good luck my friend!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
2746 kilometers.

At 600km's per day that will take you at least 4.5days to get to Vancouver. At $75.00 per day for hotel you're already at almost $400.00
We still haven't calculated for fuel every 2 hours, meals x 3 per day, tolls if there are any..... etc.

At $650.00 one way and she gets there clean, and ready to be fueled..... I don't see doing it any other way.
NOW, if you WERE considering a road trip....that would be a good one! :))

Just my 2cents.
Paul

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
2746 kilometers.

At 600km's per day that will take you at least 4.5days to get to Vancouver. At $75.00 per day for hotel you're already at almost $400.00
We still haven't calculated for fuel every 2 hours, meals x 3 per day, tolls if there are any..... etc.

At $650.00 one way and she gets there clean, and ready to be fueled..... I don't see doing it any other way.
NOW, if you WERE considering a road trip....that would be a good one! :))

Just my 2cents.
Paul
Ahhh, but you haven't calculated in the duty and GST he'll have to pay on his bike. If the CDN value is (for example) $9500 you'll have to add customs levied GST, customs user fee, Quarantine entry, inspection attendance totaling about $1500.

If he drives it in he can avoid a bunch of that crap by mentioning that he's visiting instead. Eventually he'll have to pay to register it unless he drives it back across the border to re-register in his own State every year.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nope, didn't forget to mention that. There was an assumption with previous notes that it would get shipped to Washington, then ride it into Vancouver.... thus avoiding all those $$$$ grabs you've mentioned. :)
Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Nope, didn't forget to mention that. There was an assumption with previous notes that it would get shipped to Washington, then ride it into Vancouver.... thus avoiding all those $$$$ grabs you've mentioned. :)
Cheers,
Paul
Now I like your kind of thinking!!! He'll also be able to say that he drove across the border.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Damn Snowblind... when did you leave the Island??? We're having our big family reunion this year and was going to give you a shout to meet up. hope Aus is treating you well!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts