M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spent about three hours on my girl this morning making her look perty! The one thing that bugs me are the two plastic black matt finish covers that are on each side of the bike just under the side covers that read "m109r". They have a rough and porous surface. I've slipped a few times during waxing and now there are wax blotches on them that I can't seem to wipe off. I'm afraid to use acetone or something like that for feat of screwing up the finish.

Has anyone had any success getting the wax off these and making them look new again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
There's stuff out there called Black Chrome that helps my oopsies! Hate when the wax does that to certain black parts.
btw, The bike looks great Sir. :drool: Nice work!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
You can also let it dry and take a small brush (toothbrush) and brush it off. When wax dries out it becomes kind of like a powdery substance and this is the best method that I know to get rid of the excess:dontknow:. BTW, you bike looks good:bigthumbsup:.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Im just mad at the fact that your waxing your bike and taking nice pics of it outside in the sun and im over here in connecticut chipping ice and shoveling 4ft snow drifts with 40mph winds and freezing cold, I needed to vent thanks for listining. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Few thoughts:

1) I disassembled the side covers and painted the matte sections with a gloss black paint. Now I can wax it without worries, and it looks better (matches the factory gloss black swing arm covers).

2) Otherwise, I've heard that a car detailing trick is to use smooth peanut butter. Apparently the peanut oil breaks down the wax -- though I've never tried it myself!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Out of curiosity, I just tried the peanut butter trick on my car. It does indeed work, albeit you might need to apply it a few times to get it perfect.

Darkens the plastic a little, too.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Or Just paint the pieces to match the bike!!!
Also I noticed your filters resting on your engine gaurds. If you lossen the clamps and slide them back untill the inside of the filter touches the chrome part of the intake they wont touch the guards.

·
Registered
960 Posts
correction... just went out to the garage and it called Black Again.:-X
:agree: There is another product called Forever Black. This is what I use and it is fantastic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
oh my eyes......I'm blind...I can't see. Nice looking ride bro!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Or Just paint the pieces to match the bike!!!
Also I noticed your filters resting on your engine gaurds. If you lossen the clamps and slide them back untill the inside of the filter touches the chrome part of the intake they wont touch the guards.

:agree: That looks nice Boudreaux.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try some of the mothers stuff. I use their products and have been pretty happy so far. Also thanks for the filter advice. I'll push those babies back some tomorrow.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
A pencil eraser works well too. I use that and the old toothbrush routine on mine. I think the best option is just to spray them with a glossier paint though.

I just remembered something else that works. Prep All, which is a cleaner you use before painting something. It removes wax and hasn't hurt anything I've ever used it on.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
wax and grease remover to get the marks off then scotch brite it , then 2 coats off clear, no more marks to worry about then.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
You can also let it dry and take a small brush (toothbrush) and brush it off. When wax dries out it becomes kind of like a powdery substance and this is the best method that I know to get rid of the excess:dontknow:. BTW, you bike looks good:bigthumbsup:.
:agree: Plus I put some 303 on there to make them black again.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I just bought a $33 can of same paint on the bike and painted them same color, then 3 coats of clear, I wax them now LOL

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Out of curiosity, I just tried the peanut butter trick on my car. It does indeed work, albeit you might need to apply it a few times to get it perfect.

Darkens the plastic a little, too.
You beat me to it! Peanut butter does indeed remove the ugly white haze left behind on the flat black surfaces.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts