M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1200 miles on my C109RT now and the shifting does not seem to be getting any better. It is a pain in the arse to get into first. I had the bike in for its 600 mile service and told the service department that it shifts hard and they rode it an said it is shifting normally and all the adjustments are fine. Any tricks I am missing? Of course it is always at the worst times that the bike decides not to go into first.

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
if this helps, I shift to first about 1 to 2 mph right before the stopping the bike and it goes in with no problem, sometimes it is harder to shift to first when the bike is stopped. nature of the beast.:doorag:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
you didnt say when you shifted to neutral. If you are at a stop, I have to some time let the clutch handle out to get the gears moving again, then it pops right in,. Nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
you didnt say when you shifted to neutral. If you are at a stop, I have to some time let the clutch handle out to get the gears moving again, then it pops right in,. Nature of the beast.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
179 Posts
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same here if you are at a stop or are fixing to put it in gear from neutral let your clutch lever out just a touch and she will slip right into first , if you are coming to a stop wait until about 1 or 2 mph and then click it into 1st she will go right in . Also a shifter bushing from g-man will really help with your shifting I just installed mine and what a difference ! :agree:It is the nature of the beast !!!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have the same feeling too. Close throttle and free clutch from the fingers ( not much pressing back) and shifting is easier.

·
Registered
96 Posts
1200 miles on my C109RT now and the shifting does not seem to be getting any better. It is a pain in the arse to get into first. I had the bike in for its 600 mile service and told the service department that it shifts hard and they rode it an said it is shifting normally and all the adjustments are fine. Any tricks I am missing? Of course it is always at the worst times that the bike decides not to go into first.

Thanks,

Rich
Just a note on it "shifting hard", the bike was engineered to have that distinctive "clunk" when you shift from neutral to 1st.
In the early write ups and reviews of the bike by all the bike mags, it was thought that Suzuki wanted to replicate the hard clunk that accompanies the same shift on a big Harley to increase the big bike feel.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just a note on it "shifting hard", the bike was engineered to have that distinctive "clunk" when you shift from neutral to 1st.
In the early write ups and reviews of the bike by all the bike mags, it was thought that Suzuki wanted to replicate the hard clunk that accompanies the same shift on a big Harley to increase the big bike feel.
I agree with you Don, I just don't think that was the smartest thing Suzuki could've done.

So many companys try the copy HD... WHY?
If our American bike was that good, it wouldn't be as bad as it is.

·
Registered
115 Posts
unfortunately, they are not as bad as they once were, I have quite a few friends that ride Harley's, and none of them have had problems. Thats fine I am still partial to my C

·
Registered
23 Posts

Thanks,

Rich
The only time I have trouble shifting into first is when I start the bike. I have to release the clutch lever then engage again to shift into first. I've even shifted into first without the clutch due to an emergency. So far no problems.
Doctor

·
Registered
241 Posts
Really? You think that when Suzuki made the bike, somewhere along the line they said "We want this thing to make a big clunk when you put it in first gear so it sounds like a Harley?"

I don't know, maybe they did but that just seems weird to me. It seems more likely that is what happens when you have BIG moving parts contacting non moving parts. Could it be a clutch cable out of adjustment and the clutch not quite stopped moving at the time of engagement, Which is also what you are doing when you release the clutch, changing the engagement point? In bikes and semis, you the driver are the "synchronizer" of the transmission. There could be something wrong, sure. Your technique could be off a touch as well. I would try to find another rider that you trusted to ride your bike, somebody not working for the dealership and get a second opinion. Maybe you have a gazzillion miles under your belt and I am all wet.:dontknow:

Just asking?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Buy and install the Gman shifter bushing. I installed mine yesterday.... It cleans up alot of the shifting issues. Still follow the advice of others about shifting in before you stop and if you don't clutch in and out. That always does it for me as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Buy and install the Gman shifter bushing. I installed mine yesterday.... It cleans up alot of the shifting issues. Still follow the advice of others about shifting in before you stop and if you don't clutch in and out. That always does it for me as well.

I agree, just make sure you use some locktite and torque the bolt down. If not you'll end up like me with the shifter popping off on the freeway and stuck on the side of the road taking your floorboard off to get it back on. ????????? What a way to F up a good ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
National Cycle Switchblade Windscreen Feedback

Hi fellow 9'ers...anyone mounted the Switchblade Windscreen on their C109?
If so, any pro's or con's. How was the wind coverage and buffeting? Would you recommend it or a different shield system? Thanks!8)

G

·
:agree: I installed the shift star, but any mechanical improvement also needs to be supplemented with the techniques posted on this thread an other "shift" threads.

Bro Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts