M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at the shifting schedule when I bought my bike and thought it a bit strange that it was near identical to that of a Rebel 250.

Shifting Schedule:
1-2 12mph
2-3 19mph
3-4 25mph
4-5 31mph

Maybe I'm not the most experienced rider in the world, but that schedule is BS. If I try driving around at 25 in 4th gear, first time I give it gas it will stall out. I literally use 2nd gear in my neighborhood (25mph). 31 for 5th? Doesn't drive worth a damn if you follow this...this is closer to what I do for normal riding, if I'm trying to accelerate faster, I stay in each gear a bit longer making shifting to 5th real nice at 75 or 80.

1-2 15mph
2-3 24-30mph
3-4 40-45mph
4-5 50mph+

And I'm getting 41-42mpg shifting like this.
Anyone else wanna chime in?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree, my dealer told me to wind it out, its a jap bike and they are meant to be wound out. If you go by the schedule in the owners manual, you will also find out you hear the torque compensators rattling. So I ignore the manual

·
Registered
88 Posts
I promise you I don't ! My bike doesnt like 5th until about 70 mph! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've read a few posts where people are saying things like "when I shift closer to the schedule...blah blah." I looked at is as a guildeline for my first ride, took a couple rides to find out what works well for me.

Plus the forums were just too quiet...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I promise you I don't ! My bike doesnt like 5th until about 70 mph! :bigthumbsup:
I think it likes it more right about 90 mph...shift at 70, smooth ride at 90...

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I never go by the shift schedule in the owners manual. I go with what I feel is right for me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually give it a try just to see if it improve MPG, but I just can't follow this schedule for an entire tank...or even just one ride...

·
Registered
638 Posts
HAHAHA

i follow the recommended shifting schedule & all yellow corner speed advisory signs with due diligence :doorag::eek:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The shifting schedule in the manual is a little messed up. I wouldn't follow it

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Never looked at their suggested shift points.

My Beast doesn't like anything below 40 in 5th. 35 at the bare minimum. Usually up to speed limit before shifting out of 2nd and that's not being real hard on it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The shifting schedule is worthless once you're in 2nd.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought the same thing but when I tried it I understood what they were going for. The way the engine chugs in the first few gears if you take it into 5th at 45 mph the engine is very smooth but you have to down shift to pass.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts