M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reaching out to the forum members in hopes you can help me with shifting issues I have with my 2008 M109R. I had to pull off the gear shift cover due to a stripped hole that a spacer bolt threads into and that the chrome crankcase cover mounts to. This gear shift cover has the actual spline shaft that comes though it that the shift linkage hooks up to. When I reassembled everything I could only find 4th and 5th gear. I stopped the bike and turned it off and was able to use my hand to downshift into neutral. I thought maybe I had positioned the the shift linkage on the spline incorrectly so I moved it one spline tooth. Now it doesn't want to find the taller gears now. I searched the forum and wasn't able to find anybody who has had this problem.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,148 Posts
That kind of happened to me once when I installed the shift star. If you were in there you noticed the shift mechanism inside the cover works like a ratchet. It has to be positioned in the right place when you put the cover back on. I don't know how to explain how to fix it other than see if you can tell how it works and reset it to where it's in neutral when you put the cover back on.

Wish I was more help, but it's been probably 10 years since I had mine apart. I kind of remembered what it did but not the exact details. The manual may have instructions on how to set it. Or maybe someone that works on them a lot can offer some help.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,741 Posts
I am reaching out to the forum members in hopes you can help me with shifting issues I have with my 2008 M109R. I had to pull off the gear shift cover due to a stripped hole that a spacer bolt threads into and that the chrome crankcase cover mounts to. This gear shift cover has the actual spline shaft that comes though it that the shift linkage hooks up to. When I reassembled everything I could only find 4th and 5th gear. I stopped the bike and turned it off and was able to use my hand to downshift into neutral. I thought maybe I had positioned the the shift linkage on the spline incorrectly so I moved it one spline tooth. Now it doesn't want to find the taller gears now. I searched the forum and wasn't able to find anybody who has had this problem.
Go to : factorypro.com, and downlad the instalation manual for m109r evo shiftstar installation manual, it will probably help you as Zoom suggested...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gentlemen. Waiting for the RTV silicone gasket sealer to dry now. Should know if I am successful in the morning after following the factorypro.com instructions.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks gentlemen. Waiting for the RTV silicone gasket sealer to dry now. Should know if I am successful in the morning after following the factorypro.com instructions.
Silicone is not for use on gaskets , it's used when you don't have a gasket. Silicone is slippery and usually causes the gasket to be squeezed out. From the factory all gaskets are assembled dry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts