M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say this is my first bike, and man what a bike!!!

The thing that is pissing me off is the shifting from 1st to 2nd being so clunky. I have tried a couple of solutions:

1. Shifting really early from 1st to 2nd seems to reduce the "clunk" or

2. Shifting to Nuetral then into 2nd seems to help also.

If anyone comes up with a better solution please let me know at [email protected]

G

·
Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to the board. This has been discussed in several posts and the general concensus is that it is normal for the bike and probably Suzuki. I personally also ride a HD Road King and while not so pronounced it is also present. Search for clunky, shift or transmission, you'll find some threads. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
This is a tendancy of Suzuki's. This is my second one and they both do it. Not to worry, it doesn't affect the throttle :joke:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Suzukis tend to have a wider 'N' area than most. Just shift like you mean it and you should have no problem.

I am running AMSOIL now, but I may swith to Rotella at 3,000 and see what happens.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm up around 3500 miles now and either it's starting to shift a little easier or I'm finally getting used to it.
Jer

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Here is what I do... and you can hardly notice it.

Wait till you are rolling in 1st gear (pointed straight)
lean forward
WHACK the throttle open, hold on till abou 6500 RPM's
then shift to 2nd like you mean it....

You will be laughing so hard hard you will not care about or hear the clunk...

Sledzep

·
Registered
101 Posts
What I do is avoid 1st gear as much as possible. Bike has plenty of power to start of in 2nd gear! (But if you're trying to scream off the line, then use 1st.

·
Registered
326 Posts
sledzep01 said:
Here is what I do... and you can hardly notice it.

Wait till you are rolling in 1st gear (pointed straight)
lean forward
WHACK the throttle open, hold on till abou 6500 RPM's
then shift to 2nd like you mean it....

You will be laughing so hard hard you will not care about or hear the clunk...

Sledzep
I'm dying here because I actually did this the other day and you couldn't wipe the smile off of my face for hours afterwards.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
put in some synth, and tighten up the clutch cable. it'll still clunk a little in 2nd, but not near as much. it smooths the rest of it up as well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
phaed said:
put in some synth, and tighten up the clutch cable. it'll still clunk a little in 2nd, but not near as much. it smooths the rest of it up as well.
If you pull the chrome cover on the drive side closest to engine you can see the clutch actuating arm and get a much better idea of how much slop you can take out w/o beginning to engage clutch. ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I adjusted my clutch cable today to try and lessen that "ball-peen hammer on an anvil" sound when shifting. I hadn't noticed before I removed the cover from the clutch handle that there was so much slack in the cable that the clutch handle wouldn't even retract all the way :confused:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
I adjusted my clutch cable today to try and lessen that "ball-peen hammer on an anvil" sound when shifting. I hadn't noticed before I removed the cover from the clutch handle that there was so much slack in the cable that the clutch handle wouldn't even retract all the way  :confused:Â
Exactly, you can't hope to adjust your clutch right until you take the clutch cover off, what a difference. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts