M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And NO! My shift forks are still fine!:p
Just wondering if changing the forks out can be done without removing the engine! I have done it isn the past on my hayabusa and curious if it can be done on this bike! i see there is a very cheap LE in the FS section atht needs a shift fork. I have afreiend that might be interested if he can do the job himself so i was looking at ways to make it easier.

Juice109

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just though i would ask! i was told no about this on the Hayabusa as well but then someone told me it can be done and I did it so I know it could be. Not sure if it was that much easier. I was getting really good at removing and installing those Busa motors that when i di this in the frame it was sort of a PITA.
Anyways i was just inquiring!

Thanks for the answer!

Juice109

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You have to remove the engine to r&r a shift fork? What the hell??????
The shift fork is in the tranny, which is lcoated in the rear part of the bottom of the engine. You have to remove the engine, remove one jug and you can then slit the case to get to the tranny.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shift fork is in the tranny, which is lcoated in the rear part of the bottom of the engine. You have to remove the engine, remove one jug and you can then slit the case to get to the tranny.
That's why I was asking to see if it was possible to just loosen the motor up (like on the Busa) and remove the pan to get to the forks! Never even removed one of the 9 motors so would not know.

I'm going to assume no if no one has done it yet!

Thanks!
Juice109

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
With the Busa's you have more room at the top of the engine/ frame to move some around. You do not have that room on the 9. You have to remove the engine on the 9 to do anything to the tranny. The cases split the same (horizontally) as the Busa, but we have a frame under the engine---the Busa's do not have that frame rail. Yes, the rear jug/head has to be removed just to split the cases to get to the tranny---all because of one bolt.

·
Registered
461 Posts
There's not only the frame of the bike to worry about. The engine is a semi-dry sump style which means that the oil pan removal will NOT get you anywhere near the trans and shift forks. The engine halves MUST be nearly completely separated. The balance shaft timing is critical and is what drives the clutch. There is also the valve timing chains to consider when separating the halves. It is a LOT of work, trust me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I believe I have this issue. It really chaps my a$z:cus:. I really enjoy riding THIS bike, but concidering the cost of repair and the value on my 06 with 31,000 mi. Might be time to jack it up and drive something new under it.
Unbelievable! A dealer will be really expensive and.....they'll put the same but new defective part or parts back in.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I believe I have this issue. It really chaps my a$z:cus:. I really enjoy riding THIS bike, but concidering the cost of repair and the value on my 06 with 31,000 mi. Might be time to jack it up and drive something new under it.
Unbelievable! A dealer will be really expensive and.....they'll put the same but new defective part or parts back in.
Have you thought about trying to find a local independant shop/friend/board member who knows what they are doing to help you with this?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm with FutuR with this one. There are many helpful members here that might find it a worthwhile time to spend a weekend doing a wrenchfest, especially if you provide some nutrition and thirst quenching.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I'm with FutuR with this one. There are many helpful members here that might find it a worthwhile time to spend a weekend doing a wrenchfest, especially if you provide some nutrition and thirst quenching.
It definitely is not a weekend thing, and that is the biggest problem. For a first time person, this job is every bit 25 hours. After doing a few you can shave it down to 14-15 hours start to finish. Either way, after you tear it apart, you still need to order parts and you want to get the gears back cut, and hardened parts to avoid the problem in the future.

If you know someone that can help, sure. Otherwise, find a bike shop local that has done them before. I have seen guys around here get it done for 1800, out the door, including parts.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You're right BigPappa. It is a bigger job than that. I was just suggesting that with the help of many friends and the promise of making it somewhat enjoyable that the job could be done gaining and strengthening friendships.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You're right BigPappa. It is a bigger job than that. I was just suggesting that with the help of many friends and the promise of making it somewhat enjoyable that the job could be done gaining and strengthening friendships.
Ahhh, when you put it that way, I agree 100%.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts