M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My bike is dying most of the time when I stop. I thought it might be my FI2000R and I have adjusted it until I am blue in the face. This problem is definitely not caused by my fuel manager. When it dies there is a distinct odor of fuel, possibly too rich the smell suggests to me. That is why I played with the fuel manager.

What do I do? The bike always starts right back up and idles normally. On occasion when I start it back up it will have high idle for about 10 seconds and then return to a normal idle. I AM CONFUSED!! I need help. Talk to me. Thanks

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
how many miles do you have on your 9 have you tried diferant gas just with what i read I would replace your fuel filter that is what your problem sounds like to me with the info you gave so far!! good luck Bro!!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The FI2000 can only add gas, not take it away, so if you crank it up, you are only worsening the richness problem.

Correct me if i am wrong, but the high idle says "too much gas"

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
how many miles do you have on your 9 have you tried diferant gas just with what i read I would replace your fuel filter that is what your problem sounds like to me with the info you gave so far!! good luck Bro!!
I"m thinking fuel filter as well. I haven't had that trouble but your symptoms sound alot like how Lucky06's and Jazzman's bikes were running and they had dirty fuel filters.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
It is the fuel filter. That is the exact symptoms of it needing to be replaced. Had it happen to me and several other bikes. There are posts on here on how to do it yourself--fairly easy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

Thanks guys. My bike just turned over 15K miles and I have tried several gas stations to see if a certain station was selling bad gas. It's the same with all gas stations. I will change the filter and see if that helps. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I would be surprised if it wasn't the filter at that mileage...and you do have to be very careful when you take the pump out of the tank and remove the "strainer" filter because you can break some of that attaching stuff real easy. I figure these should be changed every 10k.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
:agree: I changed my first one at or around 1ok, and I"m getting up towards 20k already. Not taking any chances. I hate pushing the bike out of the garage. I could only imagine pushing it home.

-Josh

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have noticed from time to time, not often my dies when it is hot ( been riding a while). I will crank it back up, and not have an issue the rest of the dy.. but I only have 2200 miles on mine.wouldnt think it would be fuel filter?. No fuel enhancement like the FI2000..

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I have noticed from time to time, not often my dies when it is hot ( been riding a while). I will crank it back up, and not have an issue the rest of the dy.. but I only have 2200 miles on mine.wouldnt think it would be fuel filter?. No fuel enhancement like the FI2000..
I have seen cases where the strainer was partially clogged at less then 6000 miles...it really depends on the quality of fuel in your area. As an aside...I'm not 100% sure the black muck that clogs the strainer is all from dirty gas as it looks suspiciously reminiscent of what I've seen over 20 years ago in the automobile business when fuel injection was becoming common on cars. At that time we had fuel lines internally deteriorating from the gas and clogging filters and injectors. I wish I had thought to have my strainer analyzed by some one to determine what the majority of the black stuff was.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I have seen cases where the strainer was partially clogged at less then 6000 miles...it really depends on the quality of fuel in your area. As an aside...I'm not 100% sure the black muck that clogs the strainer is all from dirty gas as it looks suspiciously reminiscent of what I've seen over 20 years ago in the automobile business when fuel injection was becoming common on cars. At that time we had fuel lines internally deteriorating from the gas and clogging filters and injectors. I wish I had thought to have my strainer analyzed by some one to determine what the majority of the black stuff was.
Tom, I started to agree with you on that, as I usually do. Ethanol is hard on rubber lines. But then I got to thinking (usually a bad thing) and there's no rubber parts in the tank to dissolve. If the filter was somewhere aft of the fuel line, it could indeed be dissolved rubber.

I wonder if the ethanol could be dissolving the rubber lines on the fuel pumps? I'm not confident they only put "up to 10% ethanol" as the stickers on the pumps say. Might be interesting to see if any fuel lines are getting soft.

I changed my filter early this spring, at somewhere around 17,000 miles. It was still fairly clean other than it was yellowish from the fuel. But there wasn't much black residue in it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I must have some great gas stations around here then. With 19k on the clock and still am running the OE fuel filter. But I do have one on it's way so if needed there would be NO downtime.

What do you have your FI2000R settings at? What mods do you have also?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I must have some great gas stations around here then. With 19k on the clock and still am running the OE fuel filter. But I do have one on it's way so if needed there would be NO downtime.

What do you have your FI2000R settings at? What mods do you have also?
Ryan, change it before you need to. You know how they show up on here, all at once someone's bike isn't running right or it's stopping at lights. You don't want to be at the meet and your bike starts messing up. :D

That's why I did mine now, and if needed I still have the original I can stick back in it. seapup posted that his was clean when he changed it out recently too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
repair worked well

Thanks guys for your support and information. I did not have time to get a new filter, so I cleaned the one I have and the bike is running normally now. Man am I glad. I was worried that I would have to put her in the shop and pay out the nose to get her back. I love my bike: I love it when she growls and I love it when she purrs. Now she is purring normally again. Thanks guys.

QC

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Ryan, change it before you need to. You know how they show up on here, all at once someone's bike isn't running right or it's stopping at lights. You don't want to be at the meet and your bike starts messing up. :D

That's why I did mine now, and if needed I still have the original I can stick back in it. seapup posted that his was clean when he changed it out recently too.
:agree: It's been almost 4 years now, so I just changed my filter for the peace of mind. It is dirty, but not excessively. It's definitely discolored...

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
.....and there's no rubber parts in the tank to dissolve. If the filter was somewhere aft of the fuel line, it could indeed be dissolved rubber......
My fuel filter was covered with a large black rubber boot, Zuk #15425-48G00 :dontknow:

·
Registered
567 Posts
That makes two of us, I'm at 18.7 and no problems so far. I also bought a spare and have a filter sitting in my garage. I should probably take Zoom's advice and get it done...

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
My fuel filter was covered with a large black rubber boot, Zuk #15425-48G00 :dontknow:
Mine too...and that's what I think is breaking down..if I was to take a guess I think the next few fuel strainers wouldn't be as black or clogged as the first one or two. I think the rubber initially breaks down and then "cures" after that....just my "old man's opinion".

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Mine too...and that's what I think is breaking down..if I was to take a guess I think the next few fuel strainers wouldn't be as black or clogged as the first one or two. I think the rubber initially breaks down and then "cures" after that....just my "old man's opinion".
That's sounds like a probable theory. I rubbed that fuel filter boot with a clean paper towel to see if the boot was dirty... it was clean so it probably cured. The 1st time I filled up my 109, I had to clean up a thin black sludge at the gas cap opening (top of the neck). It slowly subsided over that 1st year and went away... no doubt fuel vapor "curing" the black rubber gas cap gasket. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts