M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I asked this question before, but termed it as vibration. I think the better description is Shaking. Between 3000 and 4000 RPM, if I open the throttle, especially in fourth or fith gear, the whole bike shakes. It smooths out after 4000 RPM. I am starting to think something wrong with the engine mounts. Anybody else experiences this? It is much more than just vibration. Thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
MFA said:
OK, I asked this question before, but termed it as vibration. I think the better description is Shaking. Between 3000 and 4000 RPM, if I open the throttle, especially in fourth or fith gear, the whole bike shakes. It smooths out after 4000 RPM. I am starting to think something wrong with the engine mounts. Anybody else experiences this? It is much more than just vibration. Thanks.
First thing to remember, it's an 1800cc V-Twin. You are definitely gonna feel it. But what you're saying is really hard to judge objectively. I have often found that one man's satisfying rumble is another man's the-bike-is-shaking-apart. Vibration is just something that everyone tolerates differently.

I used to have a C50. I remember someone who lived near me posted something similar on the VolusiaRiders message board about really bad and excessive vibration. I rode his bike, and to me it seemed perfectly fine. He rode mine and saw that it was exactly the same as his.

You could take it to the dealer you bought it from and seek his opinion. But, probably the only true way to put your mind at ease about this is to test ride another one and see if rides any better than yours.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
MFA, I feel exactly what you describe but i would explain it diferently. It is not there/noticable going through that rev range in 1st or second...
I think it is what is left over after all of the compromises made in trying to make the bike look/feel/sound like a Bada$$.
They put plenty of tricks in there to adjust the vibrations we feel. I guess this is what they deemed was best.
Others have mentioned it to. Some dont like it... others think its normal

Sledzep

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's there. I don't mind it. The whole bike doesn't shake, but the tank moves and you can feel it. Mirrors on mine and bars remain rock steady so some parts are well isolated.
The thing is most of the time I keep motor around 4000 so it's really not much of an issue. I may cruise at a lower RPM but shake is only noticeable when accelerating through it in higher gears and when I want to shake and bake, I always downshift to enjoy that sizzling rush. Thus I don't normally worry about or experience the shakes. Not since I cut back on drinking anyway.
Jerbear

·
Registered
295 Posts
I believe you are describing engine lugging. This bike has the torque to force the bike to accelerate even in a high gear from low revs. Remember this is a high revving cruiser. It doesn't run out of breath at 4K like a lot of other bikes.
But to get the best out of this engine you should still try to match the engine speed to the transmission speed by downshifting and help the engine to deliver peak power. It feels really good too! :evil:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Gumnut said:
I believe you are describing engine lugging. This bike has the torque to force the bike to accelerate even in a high gear from low revs. Remember this is a high revving cruiser. It doesn't run out of breath at 4K like a lot of other bikes.
But to get the best out of this engine you should still try to match the engine speed to the transmission speed by downshifting and help the engine to deliver peak power. It feels really good too! :evil:
That would be my guess too. This bike does not like to be lugged. 4000 rpm is where it likes to cruise. :evil:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I mentioned it before, but the 109 project manager said they specifically designed that vibration in there because they thought we'd like it. Maybe a 54 Deg DOHC engine doesn't have a good inherent vibration. Peak torque is 3200RPM, which happens to be highway cruising speed and that is where you really feel it. On the other hand, when the engine gets down to business of going fast it smooths out. I think it's interesting that it shakes in the latitude...My Buell shakes a little less in the midrange, but I think maybe a little more on the top.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I like that little added visceral feel. I wouldn't want it to shake at all speeds and rpms, but where it does suits me fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all of your responses. I do not mind the shaking, I just wanted to make sure it was normal and nothing wrong with the bike.

·
Registered
231 Posts
bollert said:
I mentioned it before, but the 109 project manager said they specifically designed that vibration in there because they thought we'd like it.
:a20:
Now that's funny... I call "B.S." on the project manager... it was probably more like...

"Well, we've done testing and we've got this vibration even though we've tried three different ways to eliminate it"

"Really? Probably the harmonics reaching a critical point."

"Yep, we could probably adjust this but it would take a lot of time and money, and if we were successful, it'll probably just move it to another frequency that shows up at a different RPM"

"What does it do? Is it distracting?"

"Nope, it's fine, it just causes a bit of shaking... kind of like how a Harley should be if it was ever in tune."

"Well, no problem then... let's make a marketing tool out of it... we'll say we designed it into the engine cuz we think the riders like will like it."

:D

·
Registered
817 Posts
Bluecruzer said:
Now that's funny... I call "B.S." on the project manager... it was probably more like...

"Well, we've done testing and we've got this vibration even though we've tried three different ways to eliminate it"

"Really? Probably the harmonics reaching a critical point."

"Yep, we could probably adjust this but it would take a lot of time and money, and if we were successful, it'll probably just move it to another frequency that shows up at a different RPM"

"What does it do? Is it distracting?"

"Nope, it's fine, it just causes a bit of shaking... kind of like how a Harley should be if it was ever in tune."

"Well, no problem then... let's make a marketing tool out of it... we'll say we designed it into the engine cuz we think the riders like will like it."

DING DING DING!!!

No more calls folks... I think we have a winner. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bluecruzer said:

"Really? Probably the harmonics reaching a critical point."

"What does it do? Is it distracting?"

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
raw_taz said:
:D Wife loves it, whoo hooo doo that again and again and again and again and again :evil: :hot:
Is that on or off the bike Taz 8)

oh schnapp! Forgot, friends don't ask questions like that.. never mind 8) :evil:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts