M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking with Rainey about getting him to do a Revo for me. After talking with a friend who is a mechanic he said I need to ask Rainey about the SET valve. I am running the G-Man Bully and he was concerned that if the SET was removed in this job that the bike might have backfire issues and such. So I am trying to explain to Rainey that I need the SET to remain in the pipe system when he does the mod. Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track and if that valve will stay there in his normail pipe mod.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Don't need it. You can bypass it through the wiring or get a cam installed in it if you want to keep it. Lots of choices!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks for the FI disable info but you have to understand I am not a mechanic and have not messed with this kind of stuff. Here is what I need to know: I have been told there is a valve in the exhaust system that tells the computer to control a certain amount of fuel to keep the motor from popping and backfiring when under a major throttle release. When I get this new exhaust sytem if it does not have that valve I will backfire like a bean eating fool. I was told that I could buy another fuel manager that you can map in that fuel control even with the SET removed. Now that being said I don't want to buy another fuel manager and can I leave the SET valve in on the new pipes? If I can and do leave that valve in on the new pipes what will it do to performance if anything.

I understand that aftermarket pipes don't have this valve so what does it do if it is not there?

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
What exhaust are you going with? Also, I have the Scorpion Tips on my bike and still have the SET valve as well. Just go get yourself either a PowerCommander or a FI2000r. I've got the FI2000r and hardly ever backfire. It only happends when I roll on the throttle around 5000 rpm stay for a second and then release. I have no baffles and love the occasional pop. Leaving the SET won't do anything to your performance. Get the exhaust installed, some DUCK'S, a FI2000r and have a great sounding ride.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking at the Revo. See that is part of the issue. I don't want to buy another fuel manager. I have the Bully system but I don't think it can be mapped to offset taking out the valve. I am ok with leaving it in if it is ok and not going to be a killer of performance. I just want to make sure that I can convey to Rainey that I want it left in so my bike's computer can control that throttle drop.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Basically all the set valve does is make back pressure so you have more low end torque. Getting rid of it should not make your bike pop or act stupid. With aftermarket pipes you may get deacceleration popping but that is the pair valve and something totally unrelated. Think about it, the set valve is on a cable system and opens and closes. With it on, when it is wide open, will your bike start popping or running bad? If you remove it, it is like having it wide open all the time. When you get pipes and intakes, you just get fuel management to take you out of a lean condition. The set has nothing to do with that, or so very little that it isn't part of any real equation.

The bully is adjustable while you ride. Here is off the gman site...

"Adjustments are made with the push of a button. Performance increases and results are immediate. 6 color coded adjustments allow for fine tuning of a wide range of setup changes. "

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well let me ask the question this way. If I have the pipes done by Rainey and I get them back and install them. With my Bully system on what will the bike do in regards to backfiring, warning lights, accel, decel. I know I can adjust the lean issue with the Bully but I am worried that it is going to sound like a cannon shooting everytime I slow down. I hate to be an idiot but you guys have to understand that this is way out of my skill level.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Ok well let me ask the question this way. If I have the pipes done by Rainey and I get them back and install them. With my Bully system on what will the bike do in regards to backfiring, warning lights, accel, decel. I know I can adjust the lean issue with the Bully but I am worried that it is going to sound like a cannon shooting everytime I slow down. I hate to be an idiot but you guys have to understand that this is way out of my skill level.
The only warning light you will get is the FI light. Use my link and disable it. You can even cut the wire if you can't get it out of the connector. I cut mine and put heat shrink over each end.

Unless your bike is crazy lean, you will not have any popping or other issues under acceleration. If you do, throw a little fuel to it. When you let off the throttle and have popping, then first thing you do is block the pair valve. If you search there is a ton on it, and I am sure someone here can easily help you out with it. In my opinion, I think your bike will be perfectly fine, and the pair valve block will be all you need...worst case.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Like BP said before, the popping on decell is the pair system and not the SET system.

You can block off the Pair system in several ways that have been written up and you should be able to find with a quick search.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok,

That helps me out. I will look around for that info and see if the muddy water I am in right now clears up a bit.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Your mechanic friend is confused and misleading you. The advice given in the previous posts is spot on. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea it sounds like he was close but not dead on.

I tell you that it sucks not having a clue about certain things. I am learning as I go and that is a helpless feeling. Thanks for being patient guys.

Like walking in the dark and hearing the train whistle somewhere in the distance......splat :eek:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Yea it sounds like he was close but not dead on.

I tell you that it sucks not having a clue about certain things. I am learning as I go and that is a helpless feeling. Thanks for being patient guys.

Like walking in the dark and hearing the train whistle somewhere in the distance......splat :eek:
:a20: No worries friend, we will guide you through.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright,

Just left my mechanics and he said he was off just a bit and we could shut off that valve with no problems. I am going to get the Revo 5". I am trying to find out if there is a place on the pipe that I can cut it off to remove the catalytic coverter and the valve to lighten the pipe before shipping to him. I have to say that I am glad I finally have found the pipe I want but wow what a struggle. Thanks for all the help from you guys and I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts