M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member and new owner of my m109r.  Having trouble with the FI light coming on and the dealer said that the engine exhaust Control valve needs adjusted.  Could anyone help me with the procedure to adjust the engine exhaust valve?  I've got 715 miles on it and they were supposed to have adjusted it already but i believe the dealer to be inept.  Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

G

·
Re: exhaust valve adjustment instructions?

I have never heard of that. Did you use search? I am sure someone will pipe up. Perry will respond at least. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts

here is the step by step from the book, hope it helps... check the pics tey were listed back words order...

·
Registered
243 Posts

:welcome:

Don't mess with this your self.... ::) Go to another dealer or demand from yours to get it fixed... This bike is under warranty for a year...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

i've been around bikes for years and never heard of adjust the valves at 715 miles, without them being a problem
from the start of the bikes life, regardless, it a warranty issue and Suzuki should be scrambling to handle it...if your
dealer won't step up, call csutomer service and bitch.....i have several times over the past 15 Suzuki's and i have
always gotten my warranty issues handled......i've owned 59 Suzuki motorcycles and atv's over the years and keep
coming back for that reason

godzuki

·
Registered
11 Posts

you guys are talking about the engine exhaust valve i though you ment to EXCVA valve on the exhaust system.. since according to the book the valves clearance dosent need to be inspected/adjusted till 14,500 miles... my bad threw you in the wrong direction... sorry about that... :joke:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

I bet it's the SET valve not reading correctly causing it to throw an FI error.

We just went through this last week on Firecat's 109 with the Cobra exhaust addon...

If the sensor on the servo board does not like what it see... FI light..

The SET valve itself is just a butterfly valve with a spring on it. It goes sqweek sqweek everytime I go to crank up.. annoying as crap too..

G

·

If it is the SET that is giving you an error, its located right behind the pipes, little black box with pulleys, if you have stock pipes you will need the pulleys to open and close the butterfly valve (you can run with them open (already been posted how to do this) and bypass the computer check (also posted)). In most cases if the dealer did anything with the pipes (they shouldn't have touched them there shipped with the pipes already on them.) they could have stripped the only plastic gear on this bike (located in that little black box) (the dealer can find it on page 7-2 Exhaust system EXCVA of the service manual ) also this could have happened in manufacturing (it REALLY doesn't take much to strip that gear.)

Good luck and worse comes to works just open the butterfly valve pop the pin and give it a test, if your FI light goes off then have the dealer open the box (note if there is an issue with the box its going to be a 1-2 week delay before you'll get the part and it runs 323$)

let us know what you find :D

G

·

Just got a PM from Wildracing that might help you. He is the expert at this stuff :bigthumbsup:

As far as swapping the gears I have not researched the possibility if doing that though you could completely disable the system. The SET valve has a spring on it which keeps the door closed, if I were in this position I would remove the spring from the valve and ride! Of course it the light bothers you then you can follow my instructions on how to disable the FI light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about the SET, not the enging exhaust valves. The dealer has installed a switch so that when the FI comes on it will give a code for them to find the problem. Also, the bike is just doggy. It runs out of pull around 5600-5900 RPM. On the test ride it just kept pulling. All out just barely can reach 100 MPH. I'll see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts