M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I've been visiting this site for a couple of months now and you guys got me hooked on the 9!!! Thanks!
SOOO, since Thursday, I'm the proud new owner of a Beautiful Black Beast!:D
I got it from A1 Motorcycles in Brighton (nice guys all round.)
Only problem is that I'm a complete newbie when it comes to mods, mechanics, etc and I'm in urgent need of somewhere RELIABLE, TRIED and TESTED where I can get my baby serviced and modded.
I live in Melbourne CBD, and the bike I got (which was the demo...VERY reasonably priced) came with Cobra Dragster pipes. As you would have guessed, they sound AWESOME....a bit TOO awesome, and I've ALREADY been clocked by the local constabulary. :cop: :'(
SO, time for me to get the stock pipes put back on and retuned (PLUS get the Beast lowered, if I could).
I'm willing to GIVE the Cobras away (valued at around $1,000) to whoever can RELIABLY change my pipes over and install the lowering bones for me. (That's a fair deal, me thinks)
Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers,
G.

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've been visiting this site for a couple of months now and you guys got me hooked on the 9!!! Thanks!
SOOO, since Thursday, I'm the proud new owner of a Beautiful Black Beast!:D
I got it from A1 Motorcycles in Brighton (nice guys all round.)
Only problem is that I'm a complete newbie when it comes to mods, mechanics, etc and I'm in urgent need of somewhere RELIABLE, TRIED and TESTED where I can get my baby serviced and modded.
I live in Melbourne CBD, and the bike I got (which was the demo...VERY reasonably priced) came with Cobra Dragster pipes. As you would have guessed, they sound AWESOME....a bit TOO awesome, and I've ALREADY been clocked by the local constabulary. :cop: :'(
SO, time for me to get the stock pipes put back on and retuned (PLUS get the Beast lowered, if I could).
I'm willing to GIVE the Cobras away (valued at around $1,000) to whoever can RELIABLY change my pipes over and install the lowering bones for me. (That's a fair deal, me thinks)
Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers,
G.
G'day G...

Mate... :welcome: to the board and :congrats: on the new bike...
Ride Safe and enjoy the bike G...

Cheers,

BBB :doorag:

·
Registered
343 Posts
g,day mate... your better of to sell your cobras. than get your dealer to put them on for you for about $350 t0 $400 could be more but not much more. i could buy your cobras of you for the right price if you like? are they in good nick:D.......good luck with your 9' :congrats: PS that is if someone dose not help you out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
g,day mate... your better of to sell your cobras. than get your dealer to put them on for you for about $350 t0 $400 could be more but not much more. i could buy your cobras of you for the right price if you like? are they in good nick:D.......good luck with your 9' :congrats: PS that is if someone dose not help you out.
They're in PERFECT nick, dude! Nice, gleaming and NO scratches whatsoever...Plus they sound like THUNDER! Shame: I was starting to like the attention it got me. Made the HD riders SALIVATE!! :bigthumbsup:^-^
Actually, I'll probably follow your advice on this one. I'm gonna have a chat with the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do ($-wise), and sell the pipes to recoup the costs. What I really want is to have this bike lowered 2.5, and have pipes that allow me to ride without getting my a$$ kicked :cop:everytime I ride out in the CBD.
As such, I think I'll sell the pipes for whatever it costs me to get this thing done. Not really interested in making money from this.
I'll post here what price they might go for once I find out how much this is gonna cost me.
Cheers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Guys,
I
SO, time for me to get the stock pipes put back on
Cheers,
G.
G`day Bloke,
Man ,,,,,,,,, DON`T put standard pipes back on your bike, you`ll only take them back off in a very SHORT time. Standard pipes will pull your horse-power back, cage drivers will not know your around, and you will inherit "Popping" problems, you don`t have now !!!
I would simply get you current set quietened down to your liking ,,,,,,,, (Bit of extra Baffle Wrap, trick the Baffle, put one in, etc)
YOU`ll BE GLAD YOU DID !!! (and save big $$$ too)
ANYWHOOO,,,,,,,,,,, that`s my 2 cents worth !!!
Cheers Big Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, welcome and :congrats: on the new 9
I live in Melbourne and operate 2wheelz, have a fully custom LE and did all the work myself, so mate if you need a hand or advise shoot me a email.
we also distribute for Australia some mods to suit the 9, can help with the lowering aspect immed.

hope to meet ya soon

cheers
:doorag:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Damn... I just bought myself a set of dragsters 3 days ago. I have an original set of pipes here i wont be needing and i was a mechanic for 15 years, so fitting them for you wouldn't have been an issue. I also live in Melbourne. Talk about bad timing...

An alternative is to keep the pipes and buy the baffle inserts for them that make them a bit quieter. This way you get to keep the better looking pipes that make the much nicer sounds and keep 15 to 20kg of fat off the bike. Not to mention the loss of torque and HP you will get going back to standard.

I am always of the opinion that it is better to be heard and seen. I cant wait to get my pipes on and go for a blast down the Burnley tunnel.

I like my pipes to be loud enough to set off car alarms, make babies cry, make old people point boney fingers at me and make mothers gather up children off the street and run for cover. Oh and dont forget that i like coming home at 4am on night shift and waking up the arsehole who decides he wants to mow his yard at 8am on a sunday morning.

Keep the pipes, you will be happier in the long run :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cobra Dragsters now for sale-Melbourne.

So, after all that, the stock pipes are back on.
And I'm left with a set of beautiful, gleaming and roaring dragsters. As I mentioned before, the aim here is not to turn a profit but to recoup the cost of having the bike closer to what I'd like it to be.
So, the pipes are going for AUD$450 (+delivery, if you need me to send them from Melbourne)
PM me, if interested! :)
Cheers for now.
G.

·
Registered
743 Posts
So, after all that, the stock pipes are back on.
And I'm left with a set of beautiful, gleaming and roaring dragsters. As I mentioned before, the aim here is not to turn a profit but to recoup the cost of having the bike closer to what I'd like it to be.
So, the pipes are going for AUD$450 (+delivery, if you need me to send them from Melbourne)
PM me, if interested! :)
Cheers for now.
G.
hi couldnt you had just put some quiet baffles in the corba pipes

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi couldnt you had just put some quiet baffles in the corba pipes
Well, to be honest, I kinda like the way the stocks look anyway...+ I'm probably going to get the Swepts at some point, so no point spending more cash on it. PLUS, like I said, the :cop: have me cornered (I live right next DOOR to the cop shop) These dudes would have sent me to get those pipes retested by VicRoads 20 times a year!!! ;)Who needs the hassle?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, to be honest, I kinda like the way the stocks look anyway...+ I'm probably going to get the Swepts at some point, so no point spending more cash on it. PLUS, like I said, the :cop: have me cornered (I live right next DOOR to the cop shop) These dudes would have sent me to get those pipes retested by VicRoads 20 times a year!!! ;)Who needs the hassle?
The man makes a good point:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cobra tips

Welcome again!

Funny, I bought my M109R from Brighton A1 with Cobras as well about 18 months ago! You should shoot me a PM or email to go through a few things you should know. And wait till you see Paul's bike! His is awesome!

BTW - the Cobra dragsters are actually lowering your HP, not raising it. I can show you how and why. Loud is about all they're good for, I tried the HardKrome baffles which knocked it down about 6db but the HP issue I couldn't resolve until I went back to stocks debaffled. There are SET valve and O2 issues you should be aware of, not to mention warranty (unless you have it in writing from A1, your warranty is currently void).

I live out East and work in South Melbourne - is that your's across the road? We all usually hang out at SouthBank Friday nights!

Cheers!

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
BTW - the Cobra dragsters are actually lowering your HP, not raising it. I can show you how and why.
I'm listening...

So removing 40KG's off the bike, removing the SET valve and cat converter and having a free flowing exhaust system is going to lose you power ?

Is it because its not a 2 into 1 system ? or because of the removal of the O2 sensors ?

I spent $4000+ on a race exhaust system for my 999 track bike that has no cross over pipe and no exhaust sensors, bigger inside diameter and little to no baffling in it. and now im being told im down on horse power. Well, that was a waste of $4k. Bloody Termignoni crap exhausts...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm listening...

So removing 40KG's off the bike, removing the SET valve and cat converter and having a free flowing exhaust system is going to lose you power ?

Is it because its not a 2 into 1 system ? or because of the removal of the O2 sensors ?

I spent $4000+ on a race exhaust system for my 999 track bike that has no cross over pipe and no exhaust sensors, bigger inside diameter and little to no baffling in it. and now im being told im down on horse power. Well, that was a waste of $4k. Bloody Termignoni crap exhausts...
Not the weight, not the SET valve, but yes - this engine needs back pressure and from the dyno testing of various exhausts - yes a two into one actually is the best. Don't get me wrong, I loved the cobras for the sound and looks, but I couldn't believe the difference putting the stocks debaffled back on made. The dyno runs proved it. But by the sound of it you've done a lot more than just changed the exhaust?

I also found the importance of running the ECU in no fault condition so the wire cut and O2 resistors make a difference there. The O2 sensors by themselves don't add anything to performance but the ECU drops advance and runs a rich mix in "safe mode" if it's detecting a fault condition. If you're running aftermarket gear for the engine tuning then this would work around it.

:bigthumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.