M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been riding about a year now, I've had my C109R about 6 months and I'm at my 7500 mile service. some of the things I've read i need to do... well confuse me. I've looked but either not hard enough or well enough. i don't see anything definitive on how to do all this or what needs to be done.

Air cleaners inspect. i think that one's straight forward, look, clean, drain, replace.

Spark plug change. Confused. most plugs are 50-100k plugs for cars. wouldn't a bike last longer than 7000 miles?

Valve inspection. Honestly, never done this. I've read somewhere they self adjust and i don't have to worry about this at all. I'd love a more experienced ear to speak up.

Rear gear oil. it says inspect, but it looks like "inspect" = replace. it doesn't look hard, it's just thicker oil essentially. just need to find a place that sells it.

change oil. easy enough.

Tighten all the bolts you can find....

inspect steering? now sure what I'm looking for. i have the online book, but I'm just wondering if this is something i should tackle my self, or find a mechanic. On a car, i've gone as far as injectors, full system work, tires, brakes, pumps water/power steering, alts... anything bolt on basically. I'm decent with a wrench and good with instructions... a bit more scared on things with two wheels where a lock up is a bit more than scary.

I've bit the ground twice, once to sand, new rider, tired... learned one mistake not to do again... and once to being clipped by a truck that passed me on an on-ramp i was currently using to get on the highway. I'd rather not have my next accident be poor maintenance ^.^

I live in Oklahoma also if anyone has any suggestions for a good road. already wearing out 66.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just a quick addition. how needed is it to work on the pair system? i see some people remove it entirely. since i have to pull the tank at 11k, would it be better to wait until then and pull the pair system as i've seen on the boards, and just get around ever dealing with it again?

2009 C109R

i see now i don't have to do valves until 14,500.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take mine to the stealer, just lazy I guess.
the one here quoted 350 for the work. granted... i don't know how to do it all currently, but at 350 for what i guess is 50$ in parts, I'd like to learn. i always trust my own hand over someone else. that and I'm broke ^.^ i drive so much the new bike cost me less than gas alone in my old truck.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
You can do all of that stuff with help from the good people on this forum. Checking your valves isn't bad but if they need an adjustment, it's quite involved. From what I've read it's unusual to need an adjustment at 14,500. Maybe at 29,000 would be more likely. I don't know why they recommend a plug change so early. I changed mine to iridiums because they're supposed to last longer although my factory plugs looked fine at 7500 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i appreciate seeing responses :) From the looks of the 7500, I'm going to skip spark plugs... rest i think i can do fine, the one that throws me is the PAIR. most are saying pull the whole system out, others say to check... if I'm down there anyways, should i remove it?

i know the oil is 10-40. i ride winter still *though Oklahoma winter isn't real winter...* should i run a lighter oil in the winter, or the same at all times?

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
There is no need to remove the PAIR system if you still have stock intakes and exhaust. Even then it's easier to simply plug it at the "T" that comes off of the front of the air box. Me personally, I wouldn't use a thinner oil than 10w40. I use 20w50. It's good down to 18 degrees. If its 18 degrees out I won't have any inclination to start my bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Providing you use a premium fuel & from a clean source, your plugs will only need to be replaced every 12000 kilometers (sorry don't know conversion to miles) but will learn ;)
The Mechanics at work will check the valve clearences on the C / M range at around the 30k kilometers mark. As they are a low to medium reving motor, they usualy are fine.
I use Motul 10W 40 in my C109RT but i also live in the tropics & winter here gets no colder than 2 or 3deg above zero.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use non eth 91oct. i used 20-50 last oil change and on cold days, 25f range, i notice my bike doesn't like starting and takes a little bit to get it going, and of course letting it warm up. I ride nights only, working at night.

i wish there were good places to ride around here. all the good spots are out of state. Oklahoma is all bad broken roads and straight lines. route 66 is the only decent scenic road, and it gets old after a bit. this spring i'm planning a ride to florida and back. I'll need new tires before then I'm sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.