M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM NOT LOOKING TO START ANYTHING HERE, I have a serious question

Ok, now that's out of the way. Lets say that my bike was running IMO a bit rough recently (well before Lamonts post) and I was concerned that something might have caused some damage to I don't know, sayyyyyyy the pistons, Maybe a bad tank of gas. Now the local bike shop is having an open house this weekend and they might have a dyno there.

If they did, and I put my 109 on the dyno. Would there be anything to look for that MIGHT be an indicator of a possible internal engine issue. If there was some degradation inside the engine would a dyno expert expect to see reduced HP ?. I think one of the stock dyno runs here was around 110 ?.

I'm not an engine expert and don't even claim to be. Just someone looking for insight and since I might have a dyno chance very soon I would like to know if there would be anything interesting to look for.

At the end of the day it could be all in my mind, the bike may running the same as when I got it but if not this might be a golden opportunity to find out.

Thank you for your responses :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I haven't seen this mentioned yet but thought I would throw it out there. Could throttle bodies being a little out of sync cause a lean condition in one of the cylinders? Is that possible on this bike? I know that was the first thing you checked on the Busa/GSXR when it started running a little rough. I'm not an expert on v-twins so forgive me if I am way off in the weeds here. I haven't even torn apart my 109 yet, too busy riding it, I'm gonna wait until this winter.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As Perry mentioned , easy thing to do is to make sure you get a decent tank of gas if you can and see if that helps.

On a dynojet dyno, in decent weather , in fourth gear I have seen totally stock 109's dyno (I have seen 8 posts, not actual dyno runs) between 103 rwhp and 111 rwhp SAE corrected. Given that , if you dyno under similar circumstances and get similar numbers , your bike is making the power it should. Looking at the curve you can see some things like detonation (most of the time, not always) by how jagged or broken the line may be. When on the dyno you can sometimes here detonation and see different exhaust gas when it detonate sometimes. Knock sensor is the most accurate way to get a good reading though....checking the air/fuel ratio and other things can also give you some insight. The dyno is a useful tool....

If you really suspect a problem , I would take it to the dealer under warranty (unless its not under warranty). I know most stealers are fairly clueless, but it will at least log that you suspected a problem if one does occur later (and is more serious).

Not sure about the throttle bodies being out of sync causing leaness on these ......I had my ZX12R do that as well (like on the Zukes mentioned)....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is under warranty (even have the extended), I did have it at the dealer, the service manager rode it and said, yes, it does seem slugish at 2500rpm. Does seem to vibrate a bit, but he had only ridden 2 other 109R's and really couldn't compare. I've been through 3 tanks of gas since the one I "suspected"

He called Suzuki and spoke with the tech there. The answer was "Yep, the bike doesn't like to run at 2500 rpm, don't ride it there". They explained that in my opinion (after over 2500 miles) it was running different and not right. The Suzuki Tech said that I was wrong. They checked the computer and there were no codes set so without something to go on the service manager apologized and told me that he would note it in my account in case anything else came up.

If they have the Dyno I'll get the 109 on it, I think last year they were only charging $10 per run so it's not like it would be a huge hardship. I'm just looking for input on what to look for. I plan on running it in stock trim.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hopefully the dyno run will show something......good luck

G

·
This bike wants to be run between 3000 and 4000 rpms, 2500 should be seen when you are leaving a light, outside of that if you are running at 2500 for extended periods of time you are lugging this motor. Lugging any motor is a bad thing. Even worse for a high compresion motor.

I mean a VTX has a 5500 redline if you where to run a VTX at the percent of redline as you are the 109r you would be running it at 1800 rpms and the VTX would be acting the same as your bike.

DOWN SHIFT!!! :bigthumbsup:

TAZ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts