M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while riding with two fellow 9 riders and very good friends, one of them suddenly experienced that his bike would no longer accelerate as it should. We pulled over to see if we could determne what might be wrong with his bike. We found that he was very low on oil, so we added two quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10W-40 oil. We thought perhaps the transmission may have been acting up due to the lack of oil in the bike. After a couple of hours he rode the bike to see if the problem had gone away, but it hadn't. At that point we started to wonder if there was an issue with his clutch. However, the clutch lever was working fine, and the new clutch cable he had installed a few months prior was in perfect condition. I rode the bike to see if I could feel what he was describing. The bike would only go about 30-40 mph. All the gears were working fine. You could shift through each gear, but when you tried to throttle the engine for more acceleration it felt as if the clutch was being pulled and the engine would just rev, but virtually no forward movement out of the bike. It was like reving the throttle with the bike in neutral.

If anyone has any idea as to what the problem may be, please respond to this thread with any thoughts and suggestion as to what you think may be the problem. I told the owner of the bike not to take it to the dealership yet, because I was sure someone on this site would have an idea of what the problem might be. Once we can pinpoint the problem, I told him he would be better off buying any needed replacement parts on line, and we could work together to get them installed, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, ideas, and especially solutions.

BCRUZN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a clutch problem. Either it's slipping or just worn. If it's under warranty take it back to the shop. If not might wanna upgrade the clutch plates. Also I heard, because the clutch is a semi wet, not all oils are compatable with the bike. Some would leave a slippery coating on the clutch plate causing it to slip. When was the last time he changed the oil? Also, there are two drain plugs!! Just found that out recently. If not all the oils are chaged, you will slip the clutch. Make sure the synthetic is compatable with the M. Hope this gets you started.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Now, is there any play in tghe cable at the lever? If not, it is mis-adjusted. If there is and you still feel the clutch slipping, then it is time to tear it apart and look at the clutch. It has a slight chance of the beginings of the clutch tube nut coming lose.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I am not clear on if the motor revs normally but will not engage or it it is not reving.

No rev - I am thinking fuel filter.

Rev but limited 'go' - I am thinking he burned off a layer of his clutch running 2 quarts low.

If it is the clutch, he may still be inside of the adjustment range.

I say, start with trying to adjust the clutch cable.
-you can be too tight and you will get slip. even when the lever is fully out because the clutch is not fully disengaging.

Only after I have done that simple check would I move on to what will be a nice project any way it turns.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Def sounds like clutch slippage. The oil you used, was it non energy conserving oil? THis could be a contributing factor. How many miles on the bike? Was this the problem before you added the oil or was it doing something else? If the latter, I would start w/ a fresh oil change w/ the correct type of oil and go from there.

The back of the bottle label should liik like the one on the right. If it's the one on the left, it's the wrong oil. What oil does he generally use?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a clutch problem. Either it's slipping or just worn. If it's under warranty take it back to the shop. If not might wanna upgrade the clutch plates. Also I heard, because the clutch is a semi wet, not all oils are compatable with the bike. Some would leave a slippery coating on the clutch plate causing it to slip. When was the last time he changed the oil? Also, there are two drain plugs!! Just found that out recently. If not all the oils are chaged, you will slip the clutch. Make sure the synthetic is compatable with the M. Hope this gets you started.
Thanks Nickv88. We were all thinking that it was a clutch issue, but we weren't 100% sure. How can we determine whether or not a specific synthetic oil is compatible with the bike/clutch or not? Is there some indication on the container of oil that specifies which bikes are compatible or not? Nevertheless, I thank you very much for your input. This has helped a great deal.

BCRUZN

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone!!!

I want to thank all of you for your input. Everyone of you provided me with some very good points of view and things to look at with him as we try to resolve the issue. We never thought about it possbily being a clutch adjustment issue. The clutch itself seemed to be the most likely problem. We are going to look at adjust his clutch first to see if that fixes the problem, as there is absolutely no play in his clutch lever. If adjusting the clutch cable does not work, we will then open it up and check out the clutch itself. If we have to replace the clutch, what is the best aftermarket durable clutch we can get, and where can we get it from?

Once again, I thank all of you for your help. I will respond after tomorrow, to let you all know how things turned out.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Thanks Nickv88. We were all thinking that it was a clutch issue, but we weren't 100% sure. How can we determine whether or not a specific synthetic oil is compatible with the bike/clutch or not? Is there some indication on the container of oil that specifies which bikes are compatible or not? Nevertheless, I thank you very much for your input. This has helped a great deal.

BCRUZN
If you would carefully READ ALL the info given/asked in your thread it would be helpful to us in helping you. CLEARLY from your question, you didn't READ the info I posted above and again here. The example in the pic is what you should be looking for on the back of the bottle. You also didn't tell us how many miles on the bike and as some one also asked, how did you check the oil. These bikes are a PITA to check and have a specific procedure. If you didn't follow it, that could get you in to trouble as well.

Def sounds like clutch slippage. The oil you used, was it non energy conserving oil? THis could be a contributing factor. How many miles on the bike? Was this the problem before you added the oil or was it doing something else? If the latter, I would start w/ a fresh oil change w/ the correct type of oil and go from there.

The back of the bottle label should liik like the one on the right. If it's the one on the left, it's the wrong oil. What oil does he generally use?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you would carefully READ ALL the info given/asked in your thread it would be helpful to us in helping you. CLEARLY from your question, you didn't READ the info I posted above and again here. The example in the pic is what you should be looking for on the back of the bottle. You also didn't tell us how many miles on the bike and as some one also asked, how did you check the oil. These bikes are a PITA to check and have a specific procedure. If you didn't follow it, that could get you in to trouble as well.

:agree: I have had all the symtoms of your bike... My clutch was slipping so I adjusted the cable that worked for a while. The dreaded clutch shutter got worse as more mile were put on. It got to the point where it was slipping more and more. I just got my bike back from the shop where they replaced my springs and was told they were shot. Since they were in there I had a new clutch and put in even when the plates were still good. The major reason I took it in was to get the NEW wave washer (no new part number yet but is thicker than stock). I do have to say I have a brand new bike now, I didnt know how bad it was until today! I have an 09LE with 18+k miles on it and hooks up like new again. I will start a new thread with pics of all the worn parts soon. If its not an adjustment your springs might be bad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
2 qts low

riding with 2 qts low on oil is definitely not good in a motor that has a 3.8 capacity as for oil type if you use oil reccommended by Suzuki you can't go wrong.also good idea to check fluids before riding :doorag:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
tube nut , No , CLUTCH BURNT , OR WRONG ADJUSTMENT .......

:agree::agree::agree: Is it the stock clutch or aftermarket? I ask because some members have had issues with the after market clutches.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

BIg-B, be easy man. No need to come off aggressive, or in a belittling fashion. I read all of the posts that had been provided at the time I was viewing. However, I didn't have all of the answers to the questions asked. Remember, the bike is not mine. It is a good friend's bike, and I am trying to help him out. In my initial post I provided all of the information I had. As for the oil we used and the information you referred to on the back of the container of oil, neither of us looked that. We were concerned with trying to get at least enough 10W-40 Full Synthetic oil back into the bike, to see if the low oil issue was the cause of the problem. We used the Mobil 1 10W-40 Full Synthetic brand, which was the best thing available at that time of night. The bike was bone dry of oil, and was giving off the smell of burnt oil. Also, due to the fact that it was almost 12:00am, and the closest and only place open to get any oil was a near by Wal-Mart, we did what we thought was the best thing at that moment to at least temporarily get the bike to the point that the owner could moderately ride it home. We had no other means of getting it back to his house. As for checking the oil, the other good friend that was with us knew the procedure for checking and adding oil to the 9, so we were good with that. We knew not to overfill it with oil.

Tomorrow, I am going to link up with my friend to check out all of the possibilities mentioned/suggested, to first of all fix the existing problem if possible. If we can't fix it for whatever reason, we will at least know what the problem is and what parts to order to fix it.

I am hoping all goes well.

Thanks again for all of the help, and we will see what happens as we trying to resolve the problem.

BCRUZN

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
BIg-B, be easy man. No need to come off aggressive, or in a belittling fashion. I read all of the posts that had been provided at the time I was viewing. However, I didn't have all of the answers to the questions asked. Remember, the bike is not mine. It is a good friend's bike, and I am trying to help him out. In my initial post I provided all of the information I had. As for the oil we used and the information you referred to on the back of the container of oil, neither of us looked that. We were concerned with trying to get at least enough 10W-40 Full Synthetic oil back into the bike, to see if the low oil issue was the cause of the problem. We used the Mobil 1 10W-40 Full Synthetic brand, which was the best thing available at that time of night. The bike was bone dry of oil, and was giving off the smell of burnt oil. Also, due to the fact that it was almost 12:00am, and the closest and only place open to get any oil was a near by Wal-Mart, we did what we thought was the best thing at that moment to at least temporarily get the bike to the point that the owner could moderately ride it home. We had no other means of getting it back to his house. As for checking the oil, the other good friend that was with us knew the procedure for checking and adding oil to the 9, so we were good with that. We knew not to overfill it with oil.

Tomorrow, I am going to link up with my friend to check out all of the possibilities mentioned/suggested, to first of all fix the existing problem if possible. If we can't fix it for whatever reason, we will at least know what the problem is and what parts to order to fix it.

Thanks again for all of the help, and we will see what happens as we trying to resolve the problem.

BCRUZN
BIG B is a little harsh, but he means well :joke:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Did the oil bottle look like this? This is the correctly speced oil for our bike and it is what I run in mine.

Or did you use this one?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did the oil bottle look like this? This is the correctly speced oil for our bike and it is what I run in mine.

Or did you use this one?

I am totally sure as to which one we used, but I will definitely find out today. If we did use the wrong one, will need to drain the bike completely of that oil, and put on new filter with the correct oil?

Please advise.

BCRUZN

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The two quarter check on the clutch lever is the easiest thing to check first. Then oil, then oil, then springs, then clutch plates, etc...

As Big-B mentioned - The energy conserving oils will most certainly reduce life on your clutch. Think of it like putting super slippery oil on two women in a ring. They most certainly aren't going to be able to grab each other...

I'll start:

... well I was going to start but unfortunately I can't anything SFW.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts

BCRUZN
BIG B is a little harsh, but he means well :joke:
Sorry if I may seem a lil harsh, but when a member takes the time to throw out some possible causes, fixes, info, surfing the web for info/pictures in hopes of helping another member out, and then a question is asked that directly pertains to the info already given, yes, that's irritating to me. IMO, if you had carefully read the info I posted, you wouldn't have asked about the labeling on the bottle.:dontknow: That was the reason for posting the pic, so you could clearly see what you should be looking for.
I have little patience when it comes to things like that. Sorry, that's my nature.

Although I am new to the 9, I am not new to bikes or the wet clutch design.

G/L w/ your buddies bike, I hope he gets it worked out.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts