M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
Hello,

Bought a 2022 m109r in Colorado. According to the manual, it is a California model. Is that normal for a dealer to sell a Cali model outside of Cali? I feel duped.
Welcome to the forum, Cheers! 馃嵒
As I did not live in the USA, but i lived in Canada for 39 years,
I can only ask you, why do you feel duped? Your Suzuki is
made in Japan, I am sure... And I assure you, with the GREEN
MOVEMENT nowadays, your Nine might even gain in resale value...
The only difference I know of, is your bike will not produce gas fumes
to your face through the gas cap, since those are routed below the tank
back into the engine..JMHO... Others might chime in with more info...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, Cheers! 馃嵒
As I did not live in the USA, but i lived in Canada for 39 years,
I can only ask you, why do you feel duped? Your Suzuki is
made in Japan, I am sure... And I assure you, with the GREEN
MOVEMENT nowadays, your Nine might even gain in resale value...
The only difference I know of, is your bike will not produce gas fumes
to your face through the gas cap, since those are routed below the tank
back into the engine..JMHO... Others might chime in with more info...
Thanks for the welcome. Good to be here.

Well, no, it's not so much all of the emission stuff, so much as it is the loss of .3 gallons in the tank. My previous bike had limited range and I was looking forward to the full 5.2 gallons. So, I feel duped in that respect. I thought I was buying one thing and not the other.

Registered
Thanks for the welcome. Good to be here.

Well, no, it's not so much all of the emission stuff, so much as it is the loss of .3 gallons in the tank. My previous bike had limited range and I was looking forward to the full 5.2 gallons. So, I feel duped in that respect. I thought I was buying one thing and not the other.
So your saying the California M10R has a different gas tank than any other M109R sold in the USA?
That would be news to me, where are you finding this reference?
There is no difference in any of the emissions on M109R's sold in North America that I am aware of either.
The Euro/Aus models are pretty heavily restricted but I have seen no difference at all in the ECU maps of any M109R's in North America, including Canada and California M109R models.

BCS
LGB/FJB

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
The California models have a vapor recovery system and the tank cap isn't vented. The space required for the recovery system takes away some of the tank capacity.

Now that's the way it used to be. I think the non-Cali models had a 5.2 gallon tank,, Cali models had 4.9 gallon tanks. I kind of remember reading one time that they were going to stop doing the two separate models and all would be Cali models, but I'm not sure if or when that happened. If they did combine them, then all would probably be referred to as California models no matter where they are sold in the U.S.

Welcome to the forum too, :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So your saying the California M10R has a different gas tank than any other M109R sold in the USA?
There is no difference in any of the emissions on M109R's sold in North America that I am aware of either.
The Euro/Aus models are pretty heavily restricted but I have seen no difference at all in the ECU maps of any M109R's in North America, including Canada and California M109R models.

BCS
LGB/FJB
Under the Specifications of the manual, and then Capacities, it states:
Fuel Tank
5.2 US gal
4.9 US gal ...California

Why I'm stating it is a Cali model is as follows. On page 10-9 of the manual, Location Of Labels, label #5 shows two possibilities. The first one is just labeled #5, and the second is labeled #5 California. The label on my m109r resembles the second label.

I'm guessing the fuel tank is the same size, but maybe has some extra stuff in there to eat up some capacity. I don't know.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The California models have a vapor recovery system and the tank cap isn't vented. The space required for the recovery system takes away some of the tank capacity.

Now that's the way it used to be. I think the non-Cali models had a 5.2 gallon tank,, Cali models had 4.9 gallon tanks. I kind of remember reading one time that they were going to stop doing the two separate models and all would be Cali models, but I'm not sure if or when that happened. If they did combine them, then all would probably be referred to as California models no matter where they are sold in the U.S.

Welcome to the forum too, :)
Thanks. It's good to be with like minded people.

The possibility of going to a single model could be the answer. Just curious that the manual would depict 2 models.

Registered
I can understand the OP's concern. Perhaps not the .3 gallon difference, but the extra equipment required to eliminate the vent in the tank. I understand and agree with the "green movement", however the amount of damage done to the environment by fuel vapor escaping into the atmosphere from motorcycle gas tanks must be inconsequential compared spills from accidents, fuel leaks, and filling fuel tanks with standard fuel nozzles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly, .3 out of 5.2 is peanuts. There's no reason to feel duped over that.
Ok, you guys are misunderstanding. I'm not that concerned over the .3 gal. I am just curious whether or not it is normal for dealers outside of California to sell a new bike that is California compliant. I'm very happy with the bike. Forget the duped part of my original post. 馃榾

Registered
Well, a lot of folks are leaving Commiefornia for better places. Hopefully, not bringing their voting habits with them when they do. So it's easy to assume that someone who relocated from CA is now selling their bike. I lived there for 26 years. Moved out in 2002. Brought two bikes with me when I did, that I no longer own. But they were old school bikes from an era when there was no such thing as a CA model. One is now in Canaduh, the other in Barbados. Wish I had kept them. :)

Reactions: Joe RC51

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for fun, I asked the dealer where I purchased the bike whether Suzuki was only selling Cali models of the m109r. I explained that, according to the manual, I have a Cali model. He responded with "the manual will show info on both the Cali & non-Cali model". He also stated that his boss ran the VIN and it shows that it's a non-Cali model. So, no definitive answer there. I tried. :unsure:

Anyway, thanks for all the replies.

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
On suzukicycles.com, it shows the same specs as you have in your manual. I'm a little surprised they are still doing two separate models, but I guess they ship them to states outside CA if needed. They probably don't ship non-CA models to CA to sell.

Registered

BCS
LGB/FJB
IYKYK

1 - 20 of 21 Posts