M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 There have been at least two posts mentioning specific products for self-cancelling turn signals:

http://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=SM-3SV

AND

http://www.kriss.com/tscancel.htm

I'm ready to add this mod -- I think it's important for convenience, AND safety.  Does anyone have any first-hand experience with either of these products -- specifically for the M109?

The second link has a proported "testimonial" from someone who seemed to think the KRISS product was superior -- but his bike wasn't a 109.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hi Tom,
I used to sell the Kisan units and had one on my VTX and I can tell you it worked great. It also gives you the ability to use your rear turn signals as running lights without having to install dual filament bulbs in the rear (and all the extra wiring involved with this!) and it also gives you 4-way flashers (we already have this) and it will act as a load balancer so if you add turn signals with less resistance (LED's) or more load resistance (halogens) then your blinkers will still flash at the correct speed since this unit replaces the stock flasher unit (that flashes at a speed dependent on the load resistance of the circuit) with a solid state one that always flashes at the correct rate, regardless of the load on the circuit. Check this out:
http://www.kriss.com/customer_compare.htm
I'm not sure about their claims because I'm not familiar with the Kriss unit, but they are a pretty good company. FWIW I'll probably go with the Kisan unit because I know they do what I want them to. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black Cherry,

I read this testimonial:

http://www.kriss.com/customer_compare.htm

before I started this thread, and it's part of what got me confused. This guy says that the KRISS unit flashed at the appropriate rate, and that the Kisan unit that he tried previously DID NOT.

If I understand you correctly, you seem to think that the Kisan product WILL provide the desired flash rate, even if you change the electrical components of the circuit. If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), it sounds like the guy giving the testimonial in favor of KRISS is blowing smoke.

I was all ready to purchase the Kisan unit when I read the KRISS testimonial --- and then I got cold feet about the Kisan. Now I 'm TOTALLY confused. :redfaced:

If I don't get any more feedback on this, I may have to just try one of them, and report my experience here on the Board.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hi Tom,
Well I can't really say who it is, but I used to be Hal's equivalent, president of a company just like his that sells TONS of cruiser accessories (to this day likely one of the biggest thorns in Hals side), anyway, I've personally sold hundreds of the Kisan units to my customers, but at the time I don't think Kriss had one of these available. But I can assure you the guy you mentioned above didn't know what he was talking about, or he was referring to a really old Kisan unit, or a defective one. Like I said I've had personal experience and you can read 178 of reviews of the Kisan unit on my old site. I'll PM you the link to the reviews. ;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black Cherry:

Thanks a lot for the link. I actually learned quite a bit from reading those reviews -- both good, and not-so-good.

I'm not sure whether you have had any personal experience with these units? From what I read it sounds like you may have to manually "re-set" the Kisan unit if you make two consecutive turns in the same direction. It seems like this kind of defeats the purpose (of being able to forget about worrying about your turn signals, and pay attention to more important things -- like the speedometer reading!!)

Can you comment on this?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Tom,
Well if you think about it, the actual turn signal switch is mechanical, so the only way to reset the mechanical switch is with your thumb. You have to visualize the internal workings of the switch to realize why neither device can reset the switch. When you press the switch to the right (or left) it sorta locks the switch over to that side, until you press on the button again, thus allowing the switch to return to the center position. There's NO WAY an electrical device can reset this switch! If Kriss figured a way around this I'd be very impressed because I dopn't see how it's possible and talking to the owner of Kisan (Andy) he explained all this to me and he says it can't be done, maybe by replacing the entire handlebar switch as well? Take your handlebar switch apart and watch it work, it's all cams and return springs, etc. and it will make more sense to you. Hope this helps! :doorag:

G

·
Does anyone know excactly which model Kisan would be the one for the 109??? I am thinking of adding this mod, but not sure which model to go with. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It seems that all of the newer Suzuki cruisers take the SM-3SV unit.
You can call them at 1-888-464-5472 to be sure, but I'm betting that's the right one. :doorag:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Black Cherry:

Thanks a lot for all the effort you have put into this thread.

That is what makes this site rock -- guys willing to go out of their way to share their expertise, experience, and contacts. The fact is that even the manufacturers and stealers who sell these things DON'T supply this kind of detailed information.

Tom P.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Has anyone installed the SM-3SV on their M109R yet?
I'm curious how long the installation took. The instructions seem simple enough.

·
Registered
735 Posts
this could be a good thing. :bigthumbsup: I know at least once a week I ride about a quarter of a mile with a blinker on. I usually figure it out by then.:redfaced:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Basically what your doing by adding the springs is changing the switch from a latching to momentary type, now when you install the module it only requires a momentary input to start the turn signals and the internal timer which will eventually cancel them.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I can't believe that this old thread from 2006 has been resurrected BUT, I did install the Kissan SM-3SV way back when this thead first started.

The install was easy (took about an hour). It works great.

The only problem is that once you switch your turn signal "ON", and the Kissan cancells it, you have to re-set the switch by pressing it again. If you forget to do this, the next time you press the switch to turn on your signal, nothing happens (because you are actually resetting the mechanism the first time you hit the switch). If you notice this, all you have to do is to hit the turn signal switch again, and you're all set, but it's not "automatic".

The idea of modifying the switch mechanism (as outlined by Kissan) is intriguing, and I may try it, because then it WOULD be fully automatic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The install was easy (took about an hour). It works great.
I'm thinking of getting one of these. Could you tell me where the module ties into on the bike? Is it just under the seat, or am I going to have to take the tank off to get to the wiring?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
come on guys......it is a button near your left thumb...........push it:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Just my opinion but isn't is a bad habit to use these kinds of signals? I've never found it hard to put them on and put them off when I'm riding, just made it a good habit... :dontknow: Cruise control, Cancelling indicators... sounds like automatic transmission is next :eek:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had a self canceling turn signal (from the factory) on my RD400 many(many, many...) years ago and loved it, I believe it had a tilt mechanism that measured how far the bike was leaning. Do these work like that or is it a timer only circuit? If it is a timer what keeps it from timing out sitting at a stop-light waiting for the signal to change?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice!

I just got an M109 and was surprised to find it didn't have self cancelling signals! This is a huge safety factor for me so I was really glad to find this thread.

I am planning on buying the raw design signal kit, so the fact that I won't need load equalizers makes this a no brainer.

Thanks for the info. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have the Kisan Signal Minder. I like what it does but I have a major gripe. The switch modification idea is pretty ridiculous. The tollerances inside the switch are not big enough for the springs. I called Kisan about this they then send me Foam Springs... these are still too big but they can be cut to fit. Also, the switch mechanism is already spring loaded and all I can say is when you take it apart BE CAREFULL. I would recomend getting a clear palstic bag and putting it over the switch when dissasembling. If the parts go flying (and they will) They are so tiny you will never find them. The bad news is that you cannot, at least I have not been able to find a source for the aftermarket switches. Suzkuki only sells the whole control unit for over a hundred bucks. So then you are reduced to rigging the switch so it works at all. All I am saying is not that the Kisan is a bad unit but this suggested modification is at best hairbrained. You may have better luck than I did...I sincerely hope you do if you choose to do this. If you are extremly careful it could work just fine...if you are not... be prepared to get your metal detector and walk around your yard and driveway for a few hours looking for the worlds tinniest springs and Ball bearings...or pay the genius designers and parts marketing people at Suzuki $100 for a second attempt at doing the mod.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts