M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled into the driveway shut off my bike. Tried to restart, got no response. Turned the key on, let it go through the key on cycle, all the lights were on but no response from the starter button. The kill switch was off, the kickstand was up and I was in neutral. Should I be looking at replacing the starter switch? Or is there some other common gremlin that might be the cause? (Man am I glad I was at home)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Pulled into the driveway shut off my bike. Tried to restart, got no response. Turned the key on, let it go through the key on cycle, all the lights were on but no response from the starter button. The kill switch was off, the kickstand was up and I was in neutral. Should I be looking at replacing the starter switch? Or is there some other common gremlin that might be the cause? (Man am I glad I was at home)
Was it after a long ride? If so, your starter was too hot. Go out there now and see if it will start

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you pop your seat off there is a small starter relay right by your battery, If your not getting anything from the switch take a screwdriver and touch both terminals on that relay. ( close the circuit) if your starter turns then you have a problem elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Maybe I am taking you too literally here, but if your kill switch is "off" the bike should not start.:duck:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
1. Still won't start after cool down. Even if the starter was hot shouldn't it make some kind of noise or a least try to turn over?

2. I will try the relay switch as soon as I can figure out where it is. Looking through the service manual now. Ok took off the cover and tried to jump the relay contacts, nothing happened

3 OK maybe I said it wrong. The Kill switch is in the correct position for the bike to start.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had it once the same thing but it was ground wire in my case.
It is worth checking it too.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If it was a heatsoak problem with the starter, the relay would still click.If there is no click on the relay, then you need to start working backwards from there. Check the safety lockouts first. Clutch, kickstand, neutral. Then check the wiring from the switch. Also check the grounds, and check to see that the starter is not loose, (interupted gound). If it is going throught the power on sequence then definately check the Safety lockouts. Do you have an aftermarket clutch lever? some have had some problems with not making that switch after changing to aftermarket. Some things to check.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
All the battery connections seem to be ok, nice and tight, no corrosion. Bike cycles through the key on sequence and all lights come on strong. Has anyones starter switch itself gone bad.
If it were your switch, it would the turned over when you jumped the relay.

Did you test to see if you are getting power to the relay?

Start with fuses and start testing the various points in the system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
buy a 20 dollar volt meter from sears and go to town. Also u didnt list that u pulled the clutch in. Im sure u did but sometimes my customers forget to plug in their battery into the forklift.

Also check battery volts. Check all switches that need to be closed/open for the starter to kick on. Kick stand, clutch, starter switch. Use a paper clip and back probe the switches while the volt meter is in OHM setting. Should read zero. Zero means closed. One means open.

How many miles do u have on the bike and have u down any mods to bike as of late?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
buy a 20 dollar volt meter from sears and go to town. Also u didnt list that u pulled the clutch in. Im sure u did but sometimes my customers forget to plug in their battery into the forklift.

Also check battery volts. Check all switches that need to be closed/open for the starter to kick on. Kick stand, clutch, starter switch. Use a paper clip and back probe the switches while the volt meter is in OHM setting. Should read zero. Zero means closed. One means open.

How many miles do u have on the bike and have u down any mods to bike as of late?
I have just turned 11,000 on my bike. I did just install aftermarket levers a couple of days ago and had some issues with the brake lever. The only other issue I've had is that recently (just yesterday) the bike stared revving kind of high (1200 instead of the normal 900). I can't see how any of that would cause the current problem.

I'm heading to the garage now with voltmeter in hand. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. I just hate to have to send my bike to a dealer if the problem is something that I can handle. Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you pop your seat off there is a small starter relay right by your battery, If your not getting anything from the switch take a screwdriver and touch both terminals on that relay. ( close the circuit) if your starter turns then you have a problem elsewhere.
Tried your suggestion this morning again, This time it worked (must not have actually closed the circuit last nite in the dark) So, any ideas where I should go next?

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you just did the levers I would speculate that the new lever is not closing the circuit, slap the old clutch lever on real quick and try it, or just hold the switch closed with your finger.

Jazz

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're the Man!!!

If you just did the levers I would speculate that the new lever is not closing the circuit, slap the old clutch lever on real quick and try it, or just hold the switch closed with your finger.

Jazz
;)Thats exactly what the problem was. This is exactly why I stay on this site. I have not had many problems with my bike, but the ones I have had you guys have always come through with a solution. Thanks a million to all of the members that chimed in with suggestions..

·
Registered
331 Posts
Clutch LEVER

My cousin just installed aftermarket levers and had the same issue. He had to pull the clutch in exceptionally hard to get the switch to work. If the switch can't be adjusted, I would file a small amount of material from the clutch lever where it contacts the switch.

·
Registered
263 Posts
glad to see you got it all figured out, It usually is something simple and it helps to get outsiders point of views before you start digging into your bike and get yourself even more aggrivated. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts