M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying an '06 missing the entire fender behind the seat. Seller is asking less than $4000 for the bike, but I'll want to install all the parts at some point of course. I've started looking here, and on eBay, and the local dealer, for parts. Seller is only admitting the bike was down on its left side, and that he sold the passenger seat and might have some of the other rear parts. To me it seems more like a rear-end collision, but bike runs fine and I don't see collision evidence other than the scratched left tank, broken clutch lever tip, some missing side covers and obviously the entire rear fender (see picture).

Is there anything I should look for which would indicate bigger problems stemming from being rear ended? And might anyone have a rear fender they'd like to sell?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm unemployed right now so SHOULDN'T be looking at this, but I can easily repair or replace cosmetic damage even if not all at once.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I would look under the seat area and look at the frame real good. Look for buckling, and paint cracking/peeling. Pull some measurements on different points that you know should be the same, things like that. Offer him $2500 LOL
I'm considering buying an '06 missing the entire fender behind the seat. Seller is asking less than $4000 for the bike, but I'll want to install all the parts at some point of course. I've started looking here, and on eBay, and the local dealer, for parts. Seller is only admitting the bike was down on its left side, and that he sold the passenger seat and might have some of the other rear parts. To me it seems more like a rear-end collision, but bike runs fine and I don't see collision evidence other than the scratched left tank, broken clutch lever tip, some missing side covers and obviously the entire rear fender (see picture).

Is there anything I should look for which would indicate bigger problems stemming from being rear ended? And might anyone have a rear fender they'd like to sell?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm unemployed right now so SHOULDN'T be looking at this, but I can easily repair or replace cosmetic damage even if not all at once.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I would check out the title. You can check it on the internet i think through the D.M.V. Not a bad price.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I would look under the seat area and look at the frame real good. Look for buckling, and paint cracking/peeling. Pull some measurements on different points that you know should be the same, things like that. Offer him $2500 LOL
:agree: Or spend a little $$ and have it checked out by a reputable place.

:welcome: to the forum also. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
You need to take it for a spin. Have someone follow and observe tracking ,etc. Check 2nd gear for any problems. Look up title and see that it is not branded (salvage). Bikes get wrecked but in no way does it mean that it is junk. If it is branded salvage the price should reflect it. If you buy back a bike from an Isurance co. the title may not be salvage but the VIN may be reported so it shows up somewhere possibly. At the right price it could be a great deal. Good luck on the employment thing also.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Lots of parts missing

That bike has a lot more parts missing than just a rear fender, and getting it back to stock would cost a fortune! Considering that you would then have a salvage titled 06 worth maybe $5500, I'm not sure you could make it worth your investment.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
That bike has a lot more parts missing than just a rear fender, and getting it back to stock would cost a fortune! Considering that you would then have a salvage titled 06 worth maybe $5500, I'm not sure you could make it worth your investment.
Exactly right. That bike is not worth $4K if if has a salvage title. That'll need $2K in parts to be back to stock. I agree with the $2500 offer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked Carfax; title is clear and no accidents show up there. Now looking into custom fender (Jem is the only one I've seen so far but will keep looking for more Jem pics and others) but still may replace with stock parts. I realize there are a lot more parts missing than just the rear fender. Brace, taillight, fender covers, some side covers, etc. Tire needs replaced too as it's down almost to cords. I saw a used 240 for $70; just might consider going bigger but with the stock rim. From what I've read here so far (haven't read it all by any means), there seems to be a little difference of opinion on whether a 280 is ok, and I've seen a 250 mentioned. I will probably make an offer after the weekend, taking parts replacement into consideration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts