M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Forgot to mention, take a TON of pictures during disassembly. It may take you 6-8 weeks to get the transmission back and then you will start questioning things. We have a clipboard with about 25 or so line items. Each item matches a corresponding. gallon zip lock bag with a number on it. When you are ready to reassemble, you should get back to the first bag and have no extra parts.
That is an excellent idea with the baggies! I do plan on many pictures, writing out the list of steps before hand based off some of the engine removal videos for this I've been watching - I'll add baggy numbers as I go along. Not knowing when something goes in and why has caught me in the past ;).

I don't want to stop until I'm at the "stopping point" as it were. With the end of the year coming up I'll have plenty of long weekends to knock stuff out. I have an old laptop in the garage for looking up things or asking questions - I've found that if I complain about something not wanting to go in/come out somewhere it usually comes right out my next attempt. I don't question it.

That and this time change has really screwed with me the older I get - and I'm not that old!

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is an excellent idea with the baggies! I do plan on many pictures, writing out the list of steps before hand based off some of the engine removal videos for this I've been watching - I'll add baggy numbers as I go along. Not knowing when something goes in and why has caught me in the past ;).

I don't want to stop until I'm at the "stopping point" as it were. With the end of the year coming up I'll have plenty of long weekends to knock stuff out. I have an old laptop in the garage for looking up things or asking questions - I've found that if I complain about something not wanting to go in/come out somewhere it usually comes right out my next attempt. I don't question it.

That and this time change has really screwed with me the older I get - and I'm not that old!
Have to go in to this with an open mind that nothing will be quick your first time. Just using a mallet and tapping the heads to get them to pull up takes time. Use the manual for everything and use the one video where the guy tears down the C109 motor. Those together are great. Keep in mind that for you, since you are doing the transmission, you only need to remove the rear jug which makes it easier. You will want to get new o-rings and seals for everything. There is a full kit that has "most" stuff but not everything.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts