M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the seal and O rings replaced in my secondary drive unit. Unit is still leaking. Anybody have trouble with unit after changing to synthetic oils with this unit. I'm running Klotz. Didn't leak last year with reg. M/C oil but I changed to Klotz this spring. doesn't leak alot but about a shot glass full in 200 miles. I think any leaking is to much.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
Typically synthetics will leak more easily than regular oils, but they won't usually create a leak where one didn't exist before. Being lower in viscosity they will leak more out of the same place a regular oil leaks.

Mine seeps a little from the same area, but not enough for me to bother fixing it. It does it enough to get the wires behind the drive shaft boot a little grungy but not enough to drip.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
First, not trying to be a jerk, but lets get some things straight. I believe you are talking about the rear differential, a.k.a.--primary drive, final drive, and most importantly--not the secondary drive. Yes, me and a well know other member actually agree they have it backwards. The secondary drive unit is actually attached to the motor--and is the first point in the drive line. If you had that units oil changed--it was actually the engine oil. Now, futher down the drive shaft is the actual primary drive--that would be the second point in the drive line and the final point also. So, yes, we believe they have it backwards. Now to the actual post at hand. If you had the seals replaced and it still leaks, then either something was missed or a new seal was damaged in the process. I seriously doubt it was the type of oil---however, if it has any solvent properties it could eat the seal over time----again extremely doubtful that is the case. Sooooo--feel free to tell me if I am wrong about your post and you were speaking the Suzuki correct terminology and Zoom had it correct.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the unit attached to the motor that leaks. Possible I guess the dealer damaged the new seal or "o" ring on assembly.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
It's the unit attached to the motor that leaks. Possible I guess the dealer damaged the new seal or "o" ring on assembly.
Then you would be originally correct---me, not so correct. Well, I have had them on/off several times and have never had a leak. So, with that being said, either they never replaced the seals or damaged in the process. Could be that they missed a hairline crack in the castings, but you would be the first ever reported in that case. So, if they did it before, I would make them do it again at no charge since it was not done correctly the first time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer gave me the old "o" rings & seal so I have to believe he did change them. I only seen a couple of threads on this site where secondary drive leaks. Most say Suk's are very good in this area. I got one of the the lucky ones. I may try changing back ro reg oil though just as an elimination, I have over 2000 miles on the syn. oil anyhow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No more leak. I changed the full synthetic oil back to regular m/c oil and drive unit no longer leaks. I guess the brand of synthetic oil I use either was to slippery or got to thin for the seal in the drive unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts