M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil is draining, every last drop, as I write this. Oil filter removal was easy using a NAPA metal strap wrench. The filter is definitely tucked under the plastic lower shroud but accessable. I think I may take a hacksaw blade and open the hole some. Looks like you can get up to a 1/4 wide strip of plastic off on the left side of the opening. The right side has a fastener in the way. My bike is sitting on 3 pieces of 2X10 boards which gives plenty of clearance/room for the filter wrench and ratchet with 17mm socket for the drain plugs.

Not sure if everyone is aware of this but our 109's have a built-in oil cooler that the filter screws to. Checked the Service Manual and on page 11-42 it shows the cooler! The engineering on this bike continues to amaze me. Going with the stock Suzuki filter and a name brand oil (non-energy conserving of course) and will closely follow the fill procedure!!!

About the filter....I will hand tighten until it's snug then I will place a small piece of tape on the filter at the 6 o'clock position and take two full turns with the strap wrench.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
junk yard dog said:
how many miles on your bike????? ::)Â Â JUNK YARD DOG
Exactly 4860 miles. I'm over several hundred from my normal change interval. I was surprised how clean the oil was. A small amount of fine metal particals was attached to each drain plug magnet.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Sounds like a plan Bob. But before you go through the hassle of cutting up the plastic underneath. The Suzuki filter wrench is 3.99 and slip right in with no problems at all. Oneidasuzuki.com as them...Just some food for thought

G

·
Was the first oil change to synthetic? I have 10/40 synthetic in mine and was about to change it again to 20/50 this time. I have 4300 miles on the bike. I checked the oil last night and the level was fine. The oil was so clean I was wondering if it is necessary. I did find a small amount of oil in the left side air cleaner, although the filter is fine. I did some very hard riding the other night and maybe pushed the crankcase pressure up some as I read in some other threads.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
I take mine off with my hand, it's way cheaper :joke:
If the filter is tightened two full turns after gasket contact, you must have a gorilla grip. I have trouble removing my car filters by hand after tightening only 3/4 turn after contact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts