M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the suzuki gel seat and it still kills my tailbone. I have tried the stock seat as well and its the same problem. I think i may need forward controls to maybe pivot my hips a little ( i am 6'6" tall) but i was wondering if anyone has tried a saddlemens seat or corbin seat and how that is for them. I think the problem i am having is the way the back of the seat comes straight up is causing me to rest my tailbone on it. I have heard there is a full cut gel and standard cut gel, how do i tell which one i have? any advice is definitely welcome.

Thanks
Troy

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
From what I can tell, the full cut has less padding in the rear of the seat, allowing you to sit further back. Someone had a good comment about Mean City Cycles Custom Seats the other day, can't remember who started the thread. I checked their web site. I think that's the way I might go when I'm ready, I'm 6'4". They have alot of options. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Iv'e heard of alot of people going to the GEL seat now whats the difference between the stock and the gel i mean does the gel bring you closer to the bars for a better riding position,Man i would love to try someones out so i can pick one up if i like it.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I ran the stock seat for a year, borrowed a friends gel seat for a while, and had another stock seat re-upholstered with softer cushion. None of them did the job for me. I later purchased a air hawk seat cushion. I can now ride pain free for hours. If I am going for a short trip (an hour or less), or making numerous stops, I don't need it, but for the long rides, there is no other way to go.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I've had my Corbin seat on my 9 now for 3 years and after she was broken in, I was very comfy and can ride for hours with no issues at all. Sometimes with lower back issues it's more about the lack of lumbar support then the seat itself. A driver's backrest might be what you really need. I know of several people who had pain like yours and when they went to a backrest it was all but gone.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just a word. My bike is at corbins right now getting some design work done. They said they would hook us up with a dealer who would do a discount on any corbin items, just like they did on the M90 site with mike WS6.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Don't know yet. But like the guys say you need to look around and talk to some people. If your going to pay for something your going to have to sit on for hours you want to make sure it is the best you can afford. Check with Baldy and the other guys. Ask guys who have the seats just like your doing here. Go to the web sites. Then make a decision based on the info you gathered. There are a lot of talented people out there. Maybe Baldy or the guy Irish has will do what you need. I am just saying if you decided on a corbin They will work with the guys on the forum.
Bob

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought a std Suzuki Gel Seat and I wasn't happy with it either. Felt like I was sitting on a 2x4 on end. I sent mine to Spencer seats in FL. He had it for 48hrs and it was on it's way back to me. Now I love the way it sits. I believe to replace the foam and reshape your seat cost $50. He can move you back down, forward if you like. I had what he calls the long distance package for a added $25. That was just for the drivers seat. He doesn't do recovering though.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ive got a Corbin - put over 3000 miles on it through colorado last year and my behind was fine! They custom make it for your size! Love it!:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
PM Baldylatino on here. He makes custom covered seats, with memory foam. He can move your riding position forward, or back. SUPER COMFORTABLE, fraction of the price for corbin's. Pictures of my seats are in my profile. He can also add heat!
:agree: I think this would be the best way to go. I hear Corbin seats are great but they take a little time to break them in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts