M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately there has been lots of talk and criticism over the search function. So this is my idea to help us all. Why not use this thread to post search tip's to make finding what you want easier. If you want to keep posting the same topic over and over fine. But some of these tips if used even in new repetitive threads, will help everyone overall.

Please keep this thread on topic with only search related tip's and question's.

1. Spelling = spelling is key to having accurate search results both as a searcher and a poster.

2. Tag's = Tag's can be added to any thread. User's can add 2 to tags per thread . Once tags are added all user's can click on a tag to find more thread's with info on the related tag. In addition, when starting a new thread, there is a tag box under the message box.

3. Quotation's " " = Quotation's can be placed around a series of words. For example: If you are searching for information on a 300 tire and you type 300 in the search engine it will return no results. Now if you type "300 tire" placing the quotation's outside of the 2 key word's like shown,it will now pull up numerous threads on that topic.

4. Add to an existing thread = This will help user's find answer's to there questions as well as keep the results in one spot.

These are just a few tip's off the top of my head. If you have any more tip's or trick's please add them to this thread. I hope this helps some of you.

·
Registered
916 Posts
:bigthumbsup: Great post Deejay...I vote this into a sticky.

Remember, when using the search function, there is also an "advanced" tab.....in here you can put a users name if you remember a particular thread your looking for. You can also set other parameters, try it...works great when looking for something very specific!

G

·
We have a lot of diversity on this board. And we have a lot of computer skills diversity. So until the new learners catch up to the old learners we are always going to have posts made that repeat something that some of the old learners have seen 50 times.

Here is what I do:

I use the search a lot and it took me a while to understand what brings up better information.

1. Use the advanced search

2. Select the forums you are most likely to find it on

3. Ask to see the post and not the threads

4. And post the name of the person who may have posted to the thread you are trying to find

Using that criteria I usually always find what I am after. Hope this helps.

P.S. I also favor letting a sleeping dog lie. So we get another 10,000 posts on how to check your oil. No point in fanning the flames to a new guy.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the search a lot and it took me a while to understand what brings up better information.

1. Use the advanced search

2. Select the forums you are most likely to find it on

3. Ask to see the post and not the threads

4. And post the name of the person who may have posted to the thread you are trying to find

Using that criteria I usually always find what I am after. Hope this helps.
:bigthumbsup:

G

·
Lately there has been lots of talk and criticism over the search function. So this is my idea to help us all. Why not use this thread to post search tip's to make finding what you want easier. If you want to keep posting the same topic over and over fine. But some of these tips if used even in new repetitive threads, will help everyone overall.

Please keep this thread on topic with only search related tip's and question's.

1. Spelling = spelling is key to having accurate search results both as a searcher and a poster.

2. Tag's = Tag's can be added to any thread. User's can add 2 to tags per thread . Once tags are added all user's can click on a tag to find more thread's with info on the related tag. In addition, when starting a new thread, there is a tag box under the message box.

3. Quotation's " " = Quotation's can be placed around a series of words. For example: If you are searching for information on a 300 tire and you type 300 in the search engine it will return no results. Now if you type "300 tire" placing the quotation's outside of the 2 key word's like shown,it will now pull up numerous threads on that topic.

These are just a few tip's off the top of my head. If you have any more tip's or trick's please add them to this thread. I hope this help's some of you.
I tried adding tags to some of my posts but after a while the brain decided it didn't want to do it anymore. I have searched for my tags and it works great but if everyone used tags wouldn't we be right back where we are today?

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried adding tags to some of my posts but after a while the brain decided it didn't want to do it anymore. I have searched for my tags and it works great but if everyone used tags wouldn't we be right back where we are today?
Possibly? To me the best tip would be to do a search for what you are looking for and add to an existing thread rather than starting new ones. I know I am more likely to respond to a question in a thread I have already posted in rather than reposting what I have already said in a new "repeat" thread.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Just ask away peeps...there is ALWAYS somebody willing to help
without tellin ya ya to use the damn "SEARCH" button :bigthumbsup: ;)

Just the nature of people...some LIKE to help...others like to complain/criticize....BTW...JMHFO :D :D

G

·
Possibly? To me the best tip would be to do a search for what you are looking for and add to an existing thread rather than starting new ones. I know I am more likely to respond to a question in a thread I have already posted in rather than reposting what I have already said in a new "repeat" thread.
I find long threads to be a killer for me. They are usually old threads that pop up and I am not gonna reread 6 pages just to refresh my memory to see what else has been posted. And then you run into the problem of a post being altered so that whatever was posted previously has been changed and now the whole conversation is dis-jointed as a lot of people don't realize it was altered. And it happens more than you may realize.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

Just the nature of people...some LIKE to help...others like to complain/criticize....BTW...JMHFO :D :D
so anyone know howto check the oil!!:D

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find long threads to be a killer for me. They are usually old threads that pop up and I am not gonna reread 6 pages just to refresh my memory to see what else has been posted. And then you run into the problem of a post being altered so that whatever was posted previously has been changed and now the whole conversation is dis-jointed as a lot of people don't realize it was altered. And it happens more than you may realize.
Sure 6 pages is alot to read as a refresher, but it is a wealth of information to a newb.:bigthumbsup:

so anyone know howto check the oil!!:D
good stuff gentalmen

And I just want to thank the rest of you for keeping this thread on track.:congrats: I'm glad to see your trying to be part of the solution.:bigthumbsup:

G

·
Lamont and I have talked about a better way to search. One of the ideas was to have someone with a lot of time insert tags into posts that seem important. Sounds good but it could probably cause problems for folks who feel like we were censoring posts by not including them in the tag search. At the end we just decided to leave it as is.

I have also noticed that using Google can find some hard to find posts. Just include m109riders.com in your search and add the other words you are looking for.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Yes, I agree, and there may people who just would like a personal response or want to interact in this forum.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Yes, I agree, and there may people who just would like a personal response or want to interact in this forum.
+2 :agree: It's really not a problem to ask folks or it wasn't on the old VTX board and there were many more posters there....

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
Part of the problem is that the first time people signing in you can't expect them to know everything about the site. A lot of the guys signing in are old enough to have their grandkids teach them how to navigate this site. We have to be nice with this search thing. Yes it would be awesome to make it easier to find things using the search feature but not jump all over the guys on their first few posts. Remember we want more members not turn them away with this search police stuff. 99% of the people here are great people. Lets keep it that way, please.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thats one of the reasons I`m here is for interaction in the winter when it is cold out this is a good time passer and you get to know our fellow 9ers I enjoy laughing and helping with all of you and lets not forget how much I`ve learned here. So thankyou all keep the questions comeing and the jokes rolling and lets all keep our 9s purring until they are ready to growl!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think we're beating a dead horse here (but I'll skip the smiley)

The difficulty (for me) is that the multiple threads actually make the search less effective. Instead of there being one or two threads about running a 280 on the stock rim, every person who wants to know about this option starts a new thread. Meaning that the next person who actually wants to do their due diligence before posting gets 10,000 hits.

It's not a problem that's going to get solve by starting another thread, though.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:I could not agree more.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have been on here for a few months now and still didnt know there was an advanced button on the search. I guess I need to open my eyes and read better.
Maybe I am not using the search button correctly but it seems anytime I search for something it brings up a lot of useless info also. When I was looking at Hacker pipes the search would bring up anything that had the word hacker in it anyplace in the post. Sometimes it was just where a guy said I was running hacker pipes but now have blah blah blah. It got old so I would just give up and ask my question out right and hope I didn't get bashed for doing so.
99% of the time I got tons of help from great people and then there was always 1 that would say use the search. It never bothered me since I knew I had already used the search to the best of my ability.
You all have some great ideas on this subject.

G

·
I just checked a few of my TAGS that I had placed on a few posts. My "swingarm" tag brought up my one post when I did the tag search. The tag search may simplify a lot of the important posts if we can get more people to do it. But I hesitate to say this but I think certain "social" types of posts would be better off without a tag unless it has something in it that arises above a normal "hello" type of post.

Here are the tags that people have used so far so try and be consistent if you decide to use a tag.

These are the 70 most used thread tags
Tag Cloud (updated) 300 accedent adjust air box barnett cable best mod bike night black board tip bracket c109r cake cobra pipes cruise custom folders custom gear custom paint cutom cycle house dyno engine removal engine teardown evl-twn orange fi2000r flames fork giddy109's bbq handlebars headlamp headlight holley install insurance intros jsd k&n leak led license license plate lighting low beam m109r map members number mileage modify mods must see pair valve pc iii performance plate popping out of gear power commander question remove safety seal search info set shift fork south florida listan support swingarm tires touring valve windshield
windshield

1 - 20 of 29 Posts