M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times have we seen someone post a question that has been posted many times before, and they quickly get a response that tells them to use the search?

Well, I have used the search myself extensively, and I noticed that I have a much better chance of finding a thread I have already visited and am looking to find again than finding a new thread on a topic.

I asked myself, why?

Here is what occurred to me:

If you know what you are searching for, it is easy to find. I mean, if you have seen the thread, you know the terms used to talk about the topic and can plug those terms into the search.

If you are looking for new information, you make up search terms that make sense to you, but often, those therms are not the ones used when people talk about the thing you are looking for and you end up with more useless results than good information.

It seems to me that if you are telling someone to search and not telling them how or what to search for, it seems you are not being helpful.

So, here is my suggestion, let me know what you guys think.

I am getting this from a reply that I got from Hal on thread some time ago.

He replied not just telling me to search, but with his search terms and a screen shot of the results, plus a link to the thread that answered the question.

Now, that may be above and beyond, but it would not be that big of a deal to provide search terms.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Makes Sense

I think I know what you mean. The search is very non specific (sometimes). And, how do you add a link to your post? Instead of starting a thread, I'll pm someone that I think may know the answer. So far, all the members I've contacted have been very helpful, either they know, or can refer me to who knows.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ya know the few times I have went out and ran a search for someone I generally use a combination of words that are generally either in their post or the title of their thread and have good results.

Last example was the Tony Mod question...I typed in Tony Mod and it came up. Maybe I am just lucky or perhaps people are just really lazy and think someone will do the searching for them...I don't know. If it is a topic that has been discussed multiple times in multiple posts I refuse to go out of my way to help someone as it is obviously laziness. If it is a topic that I remember and has been discuss very rarely, I will generally help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Search

well it seems to me most of the time i can do a Search and junk comes up.if you look hard you can find the page,but when you click it some stupid :edit:page comes up you need to sign.so when you do page is gone.???????????????????/ wt:edit:!!!!!!! com on man. help

·
Registered
624 Posts
SR what i have done a couple of times when newbe's have asked, is actually gone to the search feature found what they are looking for and posted up the link for them. It is hard to find stuff in there if you don't type in the right words.

Bigeh..

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
We know the search function can be a PITA to navigate, the ADVACE feature works better. But did you know you can Google it? Here look, type in what you are looking for, use " site: " and m109riders.com and it will bring it up much quicker then our own search will.

Watch, fire fighter 109 shirts in our search will give us… 17 results with only 4 being of the shirts.
Google will give …
http://tinyurl.com/ya3nhzj

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya know the few times I have went out and ran a search for someone I generally use a combination of words that are generally either in their post or the title of their thread and have good results.

Last example was the Tony Mod question...I typed in Tony Mod and it came up. Maybe I am just lucky or perhaps people are just really lazy and think someone will do the searching for them...I don't know. If it is a topic that has been discussed multiple times in multiple posts I refuse to go out of my way to help someone as it is obviously laziness. If it is a topic that I remember and has been discuss very rarely, I will generally help.
Now if it is lazy your after, don't you thinks searching would be less work than starting a thread and monitoring it for answers?

For a new guy who does not know what a "Tony Mod" is, how do they find it?

All I am saying is if you are going to tell someone to search, it might be helpfull to tell them what to search for.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it seems to me most of the time i can do a Search and junk comes up.if you look hard you can find the page,but when you click it some stupid :edit:page comes up you need to sign.so when you do page is gone.???????????????????/ wt:edit:!!!!!!! com on man. help
Exactly why posting a reply of:

"use the search function"

is not all that helpfull.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
We know the search function can be a PITA to navigate, the ADVACE feature works better. But did you know you can Google it? Here look, type in what you are looking for, use " site: " and m109riders.com and it will bring it up much quicker then our own search will.

Watch, fire fighter 109 shirts in our search will give us… 17 results with only 4 being of the shirts.
Google will give …
:agree::agree: This is a case of thinking to much. The search works and if you can't find what you're looking for than ask. If it bothers you to answer a question you have seen before, then don't answer it and move along. This forum is no different than any other forum that appears on the internet nowdays. Is this really that important....I don't think so. But who know maybe someone will come up with something that will cure all the ills of the world. This ain't one of them, JMHO :pop:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SR what i have done a couple of times when newbe's have asked, is actually gone to the search feature found what they are looking for and posted up the link for them. It is hard to find stuff in there if you don't type in the right words.

Bigeh..
That is exactly what I am saying and that seems to me to be the most helpfull way to reply.

We are on the same page on this one.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Google will give …
Had not thought of that.

Good tip:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Now if it is lazy your after, don't you thinks searching would be less work than starting a thread and monitoring it for answers?

For a new guy who does not know what a "Tony Mod" is, how do they find it?

All I am saying is if you are going to tell someone to search, it might be helpfull to tell them what to search for.
He knew the name of it...It was in the title of his thread...:dontknow:

I am not saying the search does not take some work to use, and if someone can't use it properly, posting a 3 sentence thread then waiting for a link is pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He knew the name of it...It was in the title of his thread...:dontknow:

I am not saying the search does not take some work to use, and if someone can't use it properly, posting a 3 sentence thread then waiting for a link is pretty easy.
That time, I agree.

I saw that thread and that was why I did not answer him.

But about a week before another new guy posted a similar question without the name and half of the early replies just told him to search, but with no tips on what to search for. He killed the thread after like 2 hours.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
That time, I agree.

I saw that thread and that was why I did not answer him.

But about a week before another new guy posted a similar question without the name and half of the early replies just told him to search, but with no tips on what to search for. He killed the thread after like 2 hours.
see, that is funny. he knows how to delete his own thread, but not use the search.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Great! Another helpfull that thoughtful reply that is clearly a real controbution to this forum
:bigthumbsup:
Hence the reason he is the only person on my ignore list!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
see, that is funny. he knows how to delete his own thread, but not use the search.
No, that guy didi not know to call it the "Tony Mod"

If you do not start from there, any search you run will yeild way too many unrelated results. Try it. I did and got tons of junk.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts