M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got the adapters, got them mocked up on bike (look gooooood, hehe).

What were problems to watch out for? Lot of people saying they had to locktite the mirrors, and the set screws causing problems.

So far, the bolt that goes on the double-sided thread (bottom part, near brake lever) doesn't go on, as the thread doesn't stick out enough.

And the allen wrench they sent doesn't fit even close, but I had the right one, so ok there.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Can you show us the adaptor your using ?
some of the Mirrors ship with a adaptor up side down in the mirror !?!

oops,,, i ment the Tension nut upside down

·
Registered
948 Posts
You absoulutely will have to use loctite... do yourself a favor and skip the bue and go straight to the red. Give it some time to set up before you ride... at least an hour... overnight would be even better. They will come loose even then after awhile... so don't think you are doing anything that will be difficult to undo. I am sure your gonna like them once you get them on and set. I have the Scythe's and I like the them very much and they get lots of attention. Ride safe!:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean about the threads not sticking out far enough. Almost all the adapters are the same, other than some have a fixed lock nut and some have it loose on the adapter so you can adjust it.

I ran my set screws in, tightened them down so they could mark the adapter, then removed them and countersunk it a little so the set screws could get a better bite. And used red loctite on them. They don't move. Really the only one you have trouble with is the clutch side, because it loosens when it moves back. Make sure and get that one fixed on well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, the threads of the bolt don't stick out far enough on the bottom side for the nut to grab onto (where the double sided bolt screws into the clutch bracket)

Just wondering if anyone else got the nut on. Doubt there is a way to get it, so I'm hoping some red locktite will keep it on snug.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
I don't think it goes all the way through if that's what you're meaning. That's what the jam nut is for. The nut goes between the stem stud and the top of the mounting perch. You only use 1 nut per side.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
In this picture, take the nut off the stud and flip the nut. Screw the stud w/ loctite in to the mirror. Now spin the mirror on to the perch, adjust where you want the placement and lock it down w/ the jam nut. Understand?

·
Registered
292 Posts
you got it all wrong.:redfaced::redfaced:
The nut goes on top of the of the aluminium housing, not under it. and its on backwards.
just take the bolt just as you have it in the picture, but with the nut facing the other way. screw the nut all the way till it hits the other nut finger tight. you already have the top glued and screwed in the mirror arm.. screw the mirror in all the way till the nut hits, back-off the mirror till it is adjusted right, then, while holding the mirror in position, tighten the nut against the aluminium housing.
It's called a jam nut.
Good luck

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Hey Big-B.
Looks like we figured it out at the same time.
If I remember right, my mirrors did't come with any directions.
Well one thing is for sure, there's never a lack of info on this forum!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I just got my Scythe IIs and am confused. I thought you just screwed in the adapters into the mirrors and into the bike. What are all the bolts and nuts for that they included in the mirror package?

·
Registered
223 Posts
That will work fine if you don't care where your mirrors are pointing. :joke:
Did you read the posts above????????????

·
Registered
744 Posts
It took me about 10 minutes to adjust my sythes. Once I got them adjusted so that they were both even, I realized that I did not put any friggin locktight on them. :doh: After my left mirror loosened up twice in a two week period. After adding the locktight, problem solved. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Yea locktight both ends,
But DON'T use red, only blue. If they still come loose you can tighten them some more, use caution, don't want to strip / round the hardware
If all else fails, you might step up to red locktight

·
Registered
948 Posts
In my experience in this case the Blue Locktite is a waste of tie in this application. If you really want to keep doin the job over and over again... Blue if you want to do it once and do it right... red. You will still wind up doing it again in a few months... even with the red.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts