M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried installing the KUR-2372 lights in the rear, the left rear turn signal flashes correctly but the right just stays lit. What am I missing?

on the left side there is a solid black and black/white stripped wire
on the right side there is a solid grey and black/white stripped wire

the lights have a blue wire, violet wire, and a black(ground) wire

on the side that works I have the violet wire from the light connected to the solid black wire from the bike, and the solid black wire from the light connected to the white/black wire from the bike.
on the side that does not flash, I have voilet hooked to grey and solid black from the light hooked to the black/white wire coming from the bike.

I do not have the load equalizer installed.

One complaint about the lights themselves is that the install instructions should be written in Japanese, because they are worthless.

I must be missing something simple because I can not seem to find anyone else who has posted questions with the same issue. I'll keep searching though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
am I using the right wire? Everyone keeps talking about a green wire, I have 1 black, 1 grey, and 2 black/white stripped wires for the rear turn signals

·
Registered
237 Posts
notlohdahc said:
am I using the right wire? Everyone keeps talking about a green wire, I have 1 black, 1 grey, and 2 black/white stripped wires for the rear turn signals
I just wired mine up and for the rear right side turn signals it's green & black/white (ground) and for the left rear it's solid black & black/white (ground). Sounds like you are tapping into the grey brake power wire which is used for the blue running light wire for dual circuit Kuryakyn lights. Assuming of course the #2372 lights come wired with violet (turn signal), blue (running), black/white (ground) as my #2361 's did.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm getting ready to install my rear signals too and my shop manual says Gr and B/W for left rear turn signal and B and B/W for right rear turn signal. According to the wiring color key on page 10-42, Gr=Gray and B=Black so you are correct. Remember that the rear turn signals are amber and in most states it's illegal to have amber running lights so those are just the turn signals only. You will have to tap into the running light lead going to your brake light if you want running lights too in your new turn signals. I did something similar to this before when I mounted my side-mount plate bracket which has a running light and brake light.

Here is my mini-how-to (with lots of pictures) for the side mount plate wiring: http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=994.0

The running light lead is the Gray wire going to the tail light I believe. The wiring diagram in the shop manual confirms three wires going to tail light, Gr, B/W and W/B.

Hope this helps and good luck!

-Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AAAA there's that green wire everyone keeps mentioning!!!  :redfaced:  Problem solved, I had mistakenly hooked the turn signal to the old running light lead instead of the old turn signal wires (green and black/white).

Since these lights have 3 wires (purple, black, and blue) can I hook both blue wires to the single grey running light wire so they function as running lights as well as turn signals?  Or is there more to it than that? 

They are red, not amber, so they would be legal running lights.

·
Registered
190 Posts
notlohdahc said:
I tried installing the KUR-2372 lights in the rear, the left rear turn signal flashes correctly but the right just stays lit. What am I missing?Â

on the left side there is a solid black and black/white stripped wire
on the right side there is a solid grey and black/white stripped wire

the lights have a blue wire, violet wire, and a black(ground) wire

on the side that works I have the violet wire from the light connected to the solid black wire from the bike, and the solid black wire from the light connected to the white/black wire from the bike.
on the side that does not flash, I have voilet hooked to grey and solid black from the light hooked to the black/white wire coming from the bike.

I do not have the load equalizer installed.

One complaint about the lights themselves is that the install instructions should be written in Japanese, because they are worthless.

I must be missing something simple because I can not seem to find anyone else who has posted questions with the same issue. I'll keep searching though
I also recently installed the KUR-2372 rear lights. Below is the wiring matches I used. These worked perfectly and both my turning signals work fine. After you remove the stock rear lights you should have the following wires on the 109:

Left Rear Signal
Green wire and a black/white wire

Right Rear Signal
Black wire and a black/white wire

NOTE:Â The black/white wires are ground

Now on the Kuryakyn lights, each light has a violet wire (for the turning signal), a blue wire (for the running light) and a black wire (for grounding).

Connect the following wires:

Kuryakyn wires           109
____________Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â _______________

Left violet       to       Green
Left black       to        Black/White

Right violet      to       Black
Right black      to        Black/White

Now make the following connections to the load equalizer (if you're using to slow down blinking rate). The load equalizer has three wires. Two are pink and one is black (note: this is the ground). Connect as follows:

violet / green group - to either of the pink wires on the load equalizer
violet / black group - to the other pink wire on the load equalizer
black on load equalizer - ground to bike

As I mentioned, these were the matches I used and my signals work perfectly. You will also note that on the Kuryakyn lights there is also a blue wire on each light. This is the running light wire. At this time, I am not using those, because these are the wires that have been giving me the problem (see this link---> http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=4744.msg63717#msg63717 ). I'm currently using the Kuryakyn lights for signals only. If there is anyone that can assist me with the wiring for the running light feature, please advise.

·
Registered
190 Posts
notlohdahc said:
AAAA there's that green wire everyone keeps mentioning!!! :redfaced: Problem solved, I had mistakenly hooked the turn signal to the old running light lead instead of the old turn signal wires (green and black/white).

Since these lights have 3 wires (purple, black, and blue) can I hook both blue wires to the single grey running light wire so they function as running lights as well as turn signals? Or is there more to it than that?Â

They are red, not amber, so they would be legal running lights.
Yes, you can try to hook both of the blue wires to the single grey running light wire so the Kuryakyn's function as running lights as well. That is what they are suppose to do as advertised by Kuryakyn. That is exactly what I tried, but my problem has been when I hook up the blue wires for running lights the result is my blinkers start blinking eratic. If you give this a try, just make sure you start up the bike when you test them. In other words, don't test them with just the ignition on, but actually start up the bike in neutral. Put on a blinker and give it a few minutes, and let me know if the other light (not the one blinking) starts blinking also very eratic. PLEASE let me know what your result is, because if this works for you, that tells me that I probably have a bad set of lights. On the other hand, if you experience the same problem I'm having, than it tells me that there is some kind of design flaw with the lights in which case Kuryakyn is going to have to step up to the plate to correct as the lights are obviously not performing as advertised.

Please let me know.
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try it this weekend, it is supposed to be crappy weather here on Saturday, so I'll have plenty of time to "play".

Right now, I do not have the load equalizer installed. Do you? If you don't would that help the situation? I'll try my hook up without the eq and see what happens.
What did you do with the ground wire(Black/white striped) coming from the bike for the running light? Just ground it to the bike somewhere?

·
Registered
190 Posts
notlohdahc said:
I'll try it this weekend, it is supposed to be crappy weather here on Saturday, so I'll have plenty of time to "play".

Right now, I do not have the load equalizer installed. Do you? If you don't would that help the situation? I'll try my hook up without the eq and see what happens.Â
What did you do with the ground wire(Black/white striped) coming from the bike for the running light? Just ground it to the bike somewhere? Â
Yes, I am using the load equalizer. I've also tried bypassing the load equalizer, and still the same problem with the running lights so I don't think the LE has anything to do with the problem. And yes, I just grounded that wire to the bike. Thanks. Look forward to hearing if it works out for you. Sucks about the weather!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Investor. . .

I connected the kur-2372's as running lights/signals, started the bike and tried both left and right signals. There was no flickering in the opposite light. I do not have the EQ installed, and I grounded the running light wire to one of the screws used to hold the back section of the bike on that I had to remove to get at the tail lights.

I'll let you know if the flickering start happening once I start riding it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
:dontknow:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts